Gamepad Binding Errors + My F-14 Simpit.

Gunslinger22

Greetings all, after nearly a years worth of work and many late after work hours my pit is nearly finished, though naturally problems have arisen right before takeoff. I have wired all my panels to arcade gamepad encoder boards which are far simpler than arduino boards. after spending an hour binding everything they all work perfectly and it's an amazing experience in VR. The problem comes from when I restart my PC, all my bindings are mixed up in DCS, despite saving and loading the control profile that had worked flawlessly. 

https://i.imgur.com/9HzFLni.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/wvNQSQd.jpg

IMG_0028.JPG

IMG_0033.JPG

IMG_0030.JPG

Edited by Gunslinger22
  • Like 3

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

Maybe the usb vid numbers get messed up so dcs after restart cant difference between the several boards? 

Could you share some info regarding the ejection handle? 

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

23 hours ago, Lt_Jaeger said:

Darn, I can't help you with your problem, but from here on you are my hero. 

You did build what I'm dreaming about. 

Would love to see more of your Simpit. 

Here are some more pictures for you! 

The curtain handles are made from easy hookers that are attached to two heavy springs that activate a switch when pulled and then return to neutral immediately, this also goes for the lower handle. 

IMG_0047.JPG

IMG_0048.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0045.JPG

issue is all those devices likely have duplicate VID id numbers, so on bootup windows doesn't know which one is which.

Don't know if there is a way to flash them. (with MMJOY you can set them on the top right on the configurator)

Also since DCS supports 128 digital inputs, you could likely get everything working with just a few boards.

Edited by TomVR

On 1/10/2021 at 2:24 AM, DDSSTT said:

I like how you painted the WinWing Throttle white to simulate the F-14, can't go wrong with the best throttle on the market!

Yeah I honestly could not recommend it enough to people, tired of hearing the usual crap people throw at winwing for their quality because they're Chinese. Best throttle on the market for sure! 

I had a similar issue with my bindings - when ever I would restart DCS, my bindings would be duplicated in different categories and for different controls (my rudders were always bound to my roll axis ???).  I could not find the culprit but the work around for me was to never over-write the bindings lua after making changes.   Now, I always save to a fresh file - and I've never had any issues since.  

On 1/11/2021 at 8:12 PM, RoyMi6 said:

@Gunslinger22 - this might do what you need: https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13009

It lets you give devices fixed ids. Might work if you can't reflash fixed id that don't conflict.

Sadly this no longer seems to work, it did the job for about 4 restarts until it jumbled up all the id's and I'm back to square one. Hopefully there is a way out there to get this sorted before I have to buy a bunch of LeoBodnar boards which will take months and I will have to rewire the entire thing. 

I'd save the money on Leobodnar boards and just get a bunch of these shift registers in daisy chained series (5x) into an mmjoy2 or freejoy arduino.

Each board can have 128 inputs so 5 of those shift registers should give you 120 digital inputs each.

I use mmjoy2 but freejoy is under active development so if you are starting from scratch it's a better option.

https://github.com/FreeJoy-Team/FreeJoy

edit: side note I'd love to see how you build your ACM panel, been thinking of making one myself, and ironically enough was considering using a zero delay encoder for it (Rest of my pit runs off mmjoy2 devices)

Edited by TomVR

https://www.etsy.com/listing/784635061/gear-falcon-general-purpose-joystick?ref=shop_home_active_5&frs=1&crt=1

I have 3 of these, they all have different IDs and never get mixed up on reboot, he's also stateside and very responsive to questions. He has a smaller version as well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

F-14B, F-16, F-18C, A-10C, F-5E, F-86, FC3, BF-109, FW-190, P-51, Spitfire, UH-1,AJS-37 Viggen, MIG-15, MIG-19, MIG-21, AV-8B Harrier, P-47D

Persian Gulf, Caucuses, NTTR, Normandy, The Channel, Syria

Combined Arms, WWII Assets,Super Carrier

TM Warthog, Virpil VFX,BuddyFox UFC, Saitek Pro Flight quadrant & Switch Panel, Odyssey+ VR, Jet Pad w/ SSA, Voice Attack w/Viacom Pro

GeForce RTX2080TI OC, Intel Core i7-7700K 4.5Ghz, 64GB DDR4, Dedicated 1TB SSD

Thanks for the replies everyone, I've just gone with Leobodnar boards as it will only require two either side for the panels. Nearly finished marking the TCN panel and the canopy controls to finish the pit completely! 

• 4 weeks later...