Dunkerque

Scoll

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/10/2021 at 5:41 PM, Nealius said:

I'm writing on behalf of common sense.

Good point! :thumbsup: Hahaha, for sure its ok, the name is in English, like the movie for example: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5013056/ [Dunkirk (original title)].

Nothing needs to be changed, in that case we should change the whole map of the Caucasus to Russian (or even Georgian).

• Like 2

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Surprising how the terms common sense, the map is in English, have little meaning in a historical context where it is hard to see the Germans having maps of France delivered sportingly in 1940 by the English...
Map in English, "on the starter" and "clear" when starting the 109, German communication ground /pilot in english, etc., for historical immersion it's great !

When you are flying an SU-33 and requesting aerial refueling, what language is the communication in? Did we understand correctly, these "reviews" are intended to help improve the "game play" and I understand that it is more selling to use English but it goes against, in some cases, historical and national contexts.

Regarding Tokyo, if ED publishes a map of Japan with an A6M, I would like to see Tokyo written 東京 on it

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

English is the current lingua franca of international business, science, technology, and aviation.

It is the third most understood language across the world, the primaries being Mandarin Chinese and then Spanish but these sums are mainly based on total number of peoples speaking, which naturally lends weight to those nations with very large populations, many of these being less developed nations.

However, economically speaking, EDs market resides in the 1st World, where English is more dominant. 

Ergo, if you aim to be consistent in your map annotation and want any place name to be understood by the widest percentage of your customers, English is the logical choice.

Why anyone would be so piqued about the spelling of their hometown on a map in a computer game is, I feel, a far more knotty question.

Edited by DD_Fenrir
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/13/2022 at 11:08 PM, Scoll said:

intended to help improve the "game play"

Can't play the game if you don't understand what's being said, or are your subtitles in Russian when you fly REDFOR? If someone wants specific languages in their game then get the developer to localize the entire game for that market.

On 5/13/2022 at 11:42 PM, DD_Fenrir said:

Why anyone would be so piqued about the spelling of their hometown on a map in a computer game is, I feel, a far more knotty question.

8 times out of 10 the answer to that would be nationalistic pride. 

Edited by Nealius
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2022 at 1:00 AM, Nealius said:

Can't play the game if you don't understand what's being said, or are your subtitles in Russian when you fly REDFOR? If someone wants specific languages in their game then get the developer to localize the entire game for that market.

8 times out of 10 the answer to that would be nationalistic pride. 

Napoleonic grandeurism as per normal.  🙂

• Like 1