ED update server download speed.

mrmat01

Gday allĀ 

I just recently had a PC built for the young bloke.Ā 

I am now in the process of installing DCS. What I am wondering is what sort of download speed is every one getting from theĀ ED update server?

I am getting a miniscule 1.5mb/secĀ šŸ¤Ø. I have a solid fiber to the home internet connection with most of the time 40-50mb/secĀ 

As the download speed is sooo slow from ED I have all the maps & most of the aircraft it is going to take over 24 hours to download all of my maps & modulesĀ šŸ™„šŸ˜±Ā at the moment I'm only getting 255KB/sĀ šŸ¤¬

I would be very interested in hear why it is like this & how it could be improved & if ED could up the download speed for us customers so this wasnt such a chore.

PS: This is day two of trying to installĀ all of my maps & modules check this thread.Ā 

Ā Server capacity may be limited at the moment. Please, try again later. - Installation Problems - ED Forums (eagle.ru)

1 hour ago, mrmat01 said:

Gday allĀ 

I just recently had a PC built for the young bloke.Ā 

I am now in the process of installing DCS. What I am wondering is what sort of download speed is every one getting from theĀ ED update server?

I am getting a miniscule 1.5mb/secĀ šŸ¤Ø. I have a solid fiber to the home internet connection with most of the time 40-50mb/secĀ 

As the download speed is sooo slow from ED I have all the maps & most of the aircraft it is going to take over 24 hours to download all of my maps & modulesĀ šŸ™„šŸ˜±Ā at the moment I'm only getting 255KB/sĀ šŸ¤¬

I would be very interested in hear why it is like this & how it could be improved & if ED could up the download speed for us customers so this wasnt such a chore.

PS: This is day two of trying to installĀ all of my maps & modules check this thread.Ā 

Ā Server capacity may be limited at the moment. Please, try again later. - Installation Problems - ED Forums (eagle.ru)

I only have a 100Mbit connection(sync is actually a little higher) and my downloadspeed is at max(12MB/s) if the DCS servers aren't totally overloaded because of an highly anticipated patch.

Edit: But i remember that several users with the same ISP had problems(crap download speed) downloading patches.

Ā 

21 minutes ago, Buzzles said:

Are you in torrent mode or did you click cancel to go to http mode?

Is this actually a thing again? I thought ED disabled the torrent mode and you always download via the http path?

Edited by unknown

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta,Ā DCS settings

Ā 

3 hours ago, unknown said:

I only have a 100Mbit connection(sync is actually a little higher) and my downloadspeed is at max(12MB/s) if the DCS servers aren't totally overloaded because of an highly anticipated patch.

Ā 

Ā 

100 Mbits connection is by the rule of thumb capable download 10 MBytes per second.

The theoretical maximum speed a 100 Mbits connection is capable about 12.5 MB/s.

But while the connection is capable for 100,000,000 bits every second, only about 90% of them is actual data and rest is the package and address data.

But as for ways how the connections are shared in the ISP network, you get little more than the theoretical speed. Like in your case you should be getting more like a 10-10.5 MB/s but you get the maximum or even little over the maximum speed.

Ā 

If your download application / meter can't show you the transfer speed in bits, then it does the default one that is in bytes. As you are more interested about bytes than bits. (One byte is eight bits, and with one byte you can store integer value of 0-255 and it can be used to tell a lot).

Ā 

The internet service providers love to market their network speeds in bits, as they get a larger number than with bytes. So example they get to sell you a 100 Mbits connection instead 12 MB connection.

Ā 

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

47 minutes ago, Fri13 said:

Ā 

100 Mbits connection is by the rule of thumb capable download 10 MBytes per second.

The theoretical maximum speed a 100 Mbits connection is capable about 12.5 MB/s.

But while the connection is capable for 100,000,000 bits every second, only about 90% of them is actual data and rest is the package and address data.

But as for ways how the connections are shared in the ISP network, you get little more than the theoretical speed. Like in your case you should be getting more like a 10-10.5 MB/s but you get the maximum or even little over the maximum speed.

Ā 

If your download application / meter can't show you the transfer speed in bits, then it does the default one that is in bytes. As you are more interested about bytes than bits. (One byte is eight bits, and with one byte you can store integer value of 0-255 and it can be used to tell a lot).

Ā 

The internet service providers love to market their network speeds in bits, as they get a larger number than with bytes. So example they get to sell you a 100 Mbits connection instead 12 MB connection.

Ā 

Thank you for your lecture but i work in that field. As i stated in my post you quoted "...sync is actually a little higher...". I can see my actually usable down and upload speed in Mbit/s, my sync rate and my theoretically line speed. My average download speed is 12,5MByte/s, with my best sync i had to my ISP max at 13,3MByte/s.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta,Ā DCS settings

Ā 

16 hours ago, unknown said:

Thank you for your lecture but i work in that field. As i stated in my post you quoted "...sync is actually a little higher...".

Ā 

I apologise.

Ā 

I read your post twice before posting and I got totally wrong understanding what you wrote.

Ā 

Not a funny thing.

Ā 

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I know from experience that resetting your cable modem and/or router can be an easy fix if you experience slower than expected traffic.

I used to have a gigabit connection, and got download speeds north of 80MB/s pretty consistently. That was a bit overkill for what I actually need so I downgraded to a 300Mbit one, with 25-30MB/s download speeds.
But then again, I live in Europe. I have heard some pretty bad things about internet down under and in Kiwi-land...

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Ā 

Hi guys Thanks for all of you replies.

I tested my internet speed & it was running asĀ  it should @ 49.9MB/sec.

I was downloading in torrent . I was getting speeds as low as 110kbs/sec.Ā I did a Steam download & I was getting speeds of 12-20MB/sec.

I also tried a media file download (Ā Hercules ver 6.1 273.81) & I took all of about 15 seconds.Ā 

I reported the issue to support & they were extremely helpful & looked into it.Ā 

Now that my new install is done (all 36 maps/modules)Ā on the new PC I will have to wait for the next patch to test it.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Speeds as of the 08\01\21Ā 

DCS UPDATER 1.png

speed test .png

UPDATER 2.png

Edited by mrmat01