Logitech pro flight or pay extra for VKB-Sim T-Rudder Pedals?

I don't have any rudder pedals at the moment and I am using CH hotas so I have rudder axis on the mini stick.

This makes flying helicopters and plane ground movement not great.

I was looking into the cheaper options and seen pro flight rudder pedals I had some years ago and they was pretty good for over £100

But now with VKB set for around £160 plus maybe £30 duty tax from Netherlands to UK, without brakes axis but looks full metal.

Saitek rudder pedals.png

Screenshot_1.png

• Like 1

unless you fly warbirds, go VKB.
VKB are ideal for choppers though. Regarding the "no brakes!!!!" issue(for some), of course there are ways to help with that.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Where is drama in toe brakes?
I use them in planes that have them, and use a lever in planes that have a hand brake lever.

I fail to see having toe brakes as some sort of drama. It is a choice, no right or wrong, just simply a choice.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The VKB rudders are a solid metal constuction, while the CH rudders look like plastic to me. I'm using the VKB ones and I'm totally pleased with them. No drama with the toe-brakes either.

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

2 hours ago, Sokol1_br said:

I fly warbirds and use VKB pedal without "drama with toe brakes". 😉

I don´t have any warbirds module to create an opinion, just what I know from reading others´experiences on FB 😉
apparently taking off a spitfire with VKB is an impossible mission

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

4 hours ago, TonyStovepipe said:

Do you just use a single button to use both brakes?

Yes, but only for planes with "Wheel brakes" command only, e.g. Spitfire, Mig-15, 21... these planes have native "differential brakes" modeled (wheel brakes + rudder for ground turns).

But this option don't solve the issue of taxi maneuvers for planes with "toe brakes", e.g. P-51, Bf 109.

For this planes I set a button in  stick, trigger in VKB Gladiator  (mode 2 = green led), in VKB T-Link software for press the two virtual axis need for use as brakes.

In games, e.g. DCS, IL-2 CloD set this two virtual axis of T-Link software for left and right wheel brakes. 

- IL-2 Bo'x don't need this because have "differential brakes" modeled for all planes, IMO a marketing decision in benefit of people using 3-in-1 joysticks with twist rudder and not fancy HOTAS + pedals.

Now when in P-51, Bf 109... is just matter of do like in Spitfire, Mig-15, 21... pressing the trigger (in Green mode):

Brake both wheels equals.

Move rudder bar for left or right and press the trigger, only the left or right wheel is braked and taxi turns made.

So no reason for get an inferior product (Saitek PRO, CH, TFRP) just because their overrated "toe brakes", instead can buy a budget "high end" pedals: VKB T-Rudder brake'less. 😉 

- Of course if money is not problem get a MFG Crosswind, TPR, VirPilAce, Slaw Viper... pedals with brakes pad.

Any plane will turn in taxi maneuvers like if are using the overrated "toe brakes", and after all, taxi maneuvers is a very secondary thing in flight games, no reason for make "drama" about brake methods. 🙂 

If you decide bough T-Rudder, send me a PM with you joystick and throttle models, so I can suggest alternatives for "brake like a PRO" ... without the overrated "toe brakes". 🙂 

As a recent owner of Logitech X56 controls plus VKB's T-Rudder and CH Pro pedals - my question is - do you want extra features you may be able to live without? Or quality/something that will work and last?

I can't speak for Logitech's rudders but if they're anything like the flagship Logitech X56 product - stay right away! The quality is pathetic - to the point where after only a few months I've already turned around, considered the loss and have purchased VKB MCG and waiting on Virpil for a throttle. I made a stupid decision where I should have 'bought right, bought once' - instead I've wasted money...

I've also owned CH Pro pedals. Sure... the toe brakes are kinda "nice" to have, but in reality I'm not missing them.... my CH Pro's are gathering dust while I use the VKB T-Rudders. Toe brakes are no match for precise inputs - which I get with the T-Rudders - I have much finer controls with them over the CH Pro's, and the quality build feels like it will outlast me! I was almost dissuaded by the lack of toe brakes but decided to try the T-Rudders anyway - and I'm very glad I did. I doubt you will be disappointed at all if you go with the VKB T-Rudder - they are a great product.

10 hours ago, Sokol1_br said:

Yes, but only for planes with "Wheel brakes" command only, e.g. Spitfire, Mig-15, 21... these planes have native "differential brakes" modeled (wheel brakes + rudder for ground turns).

But this option don't solve the issue of taxi maneuvers for planes with "toe brakes", e.g. P-51, Bf 109.

For this planes I set a button in  stick, trigger in VKB Gladiator  (mode 2 = green led), in VKB T-Link software for press the two virtual axis need for use as brakes.

In games, e.g. DCS, IL-2 CloD set this two virtual axis of T-Link software for left and right wheel brakes. 

- IL-2 Bo'x don't need this because have "differential brakes" modeled for all planes, IMO a marketing decision in benefit of people using 3-in-1 joysticks with twist rudder and not fancy HOTAS + pedals.

Now when in P-51, Bf 109... is just matter of do like in Spitfire, Mig-15, 21... pressing the trigger (in Green mode):

Brake both wheels equals.

Move rudder bar for left or right and press the trigger, only the left or right wheel is braked and taxi turns made.

So no reason for get an inferior product (Saitek PRO, CH, TFRP) just because their overrated "toe brakes", instead can buy a budget "high end" pedals: VKB T-Rudder brake'less. 😉 

- Of course if money is not problem get a MFG Crosswind, TPR, VirPilAce, Slaw Viper... pedals with brakes pad.

Any plane will turn in taxi maneuvers like if are using the overrated "toe brakes", and after all, taxi maneuvers is a very secondary thing in flight games, no reason for make "drama" about brake methods. 🙂 

If you decide bough T-Rudder, send me a PM with you joystick and throttle models, so I can suggest alternatives for "brake like a PRO" ... without the overrated "toe brakes". 🙂 

I always always bind the joystick lever as a modifier. What would you suggest for my Warthog and Hornet sticks to activate virtual brakes?

2 hours ago, TonyStovepipe said:

Thanks everyone, I have placed an order for VKB ones 😄

you won´t regret it

5 hours ago, TonyStovepipe said:

Hopefully delivery to the UK won't be to long.

They arrived from the Netherlands I think

• 2 weeks later...

Also looking for rudder / warbird / control input help...

I also find the DCS prop planes a nightmare on the ground - except the Yak (tricycle) and the CEII (totally manageable, and kind of how I’d expect the others to behave)

Anyway, seems probable to me that if the modelling is good, then it’s our simmer’s control interface that is unintuitive.

I have a very old set of TM rudder pedals, which work ok, but are a little clunky and fragile.  New rudders would be a great idea, but as above ^^ I’m also thinking about warbird ground handling and toe brakes / no toe brakes...

A further factor is the cable interface.  My TM pedals have an old skool 15 pin plug that connects to my HOTAS Cougar stick - I’m guessing that newer kit is USB only???

Edited by rkk01

With toe brakes I just use a button on my throttle to use both breaks, I know with ww2 planes it could be an issue I think doing that?

I think all new kit would be usb.

The pedals are smaller then I thought they would be but this great for anyone with a normal desk or other stuff under the desk.

I have one of the metal folding piano stands and the rudder fits under this with lots of room to use a plastic dust cover if needed.

6 hours ago, rkk01 said:

A further factor is the cable interface.  My TM pedals have an old skool 15 pin plug that connects to my HOTAS Cougar stick - I’m guessing that newer kit is USB only???

Yes, actually is not more manufactured controllers with gameport (DB-15 connector), all have USB controller.

Some, like T-Rudder and Thrustmaster TFRP have this USB controller in a box external to the pedal, what (theoretically) allow Thrustmaster TFRP be possible to (DIY) adapted for use in Cougar (don't know if the result is practical). T-Rudder no, because their contactless sensosr work in digital mode, not supported by Cougar controller.

With toe brakes I just use a button on my throttle to use both breaks, I know with ww2 planes it could be an issue I think doing that?

For (DCS) WWII Planes use T-link software, that translate a button (or key)*  press in two analog axes to be assigned for Left and Right brakes in game controls, rudder movement (for left or right) determine what wheel will be braked. So you have the same control o "toe brakes" just with a different operation.

* Users of VKB MCG grips can use instead their brake lever axis - which is divided into two;  for the same function.

Edited by Sokol1_br

5 hours ago, rkk01 said:

Thanks for the update.  I think you mentioned up ^^ that you were going to try out with the DCS Spitfire module?

any users here offer feedback on toe brake equipped pedals and differential braking on warbirds?

I have the early model T Rudders that are a backup (I may use them when the Gunfighter stick arrives) but at the moment I'm using Slaw's pedals which are superb.

For the Spitfire I don't use the toe brakes at all, instead I use the rudder axis on the pedals and an axis on an MCG grip on a VKB Mamba for the brake handle. That combo works great, I found using the toe brakes on the Spit just didn't work for me at all well, trying to move the rudders rapidly and apply the toe brakes was horrible IMHO.

You could apply the lever axis to anything handy, at one point I was using the friction lever on the Warthog throttle as the brake lever although not a handy as the lever on the stick it worked Ok and I could take off and land fine. Another idea would be to use the second throttle on dual throttle set up as the brake axes.

In yet another iteration a long time back I had the brake lever mapped to 2 buttons on the CMS hat, one for wheel brakes decrease the other for increase (I think that setup is unique to the Spit). I used that and could land the Spit in the early days when the tail wheel was like the castors on a sofa. You just tapped the button very lightly near the end of the landing run and it applied a little brake to give you control on the final roll out

I really can't see why the Russian/British style of brakes couldn't be applied to any of the warbirds modules I own, I don't have the I-16, but all the others. I can't think of a case where you want to brake one way and rudder another, they are always to the same side. I would far prefer though to use an axis for the brake as opposed to a button, but even that's doable.

Believe me I'm no pilot so if I could do it I'm sure nearly everybody could

Edited by Weegie