Mission Editor - Static Template Issue

O_Edge

Hey All,

I struggle with a problem with the mission editor and the use of static templates. After loading a static template, I can't run the mission. I get asked to save, but, no matter if I do or do not save the mission, the editor window stays open and the mission does not load. Any Ideas??? I believe the issue appeared long ago, so I don't think it came with the last update. I run the last open beta version.

Thank for any ideas and help in advanced....

Edge

Edited by O_Edge

Hi, just tested and I see no such issue on my DCS, I just tested it:

Maybe you have a user Mod conflicting, try to do a Repair and disable your Users Mod to discard them being a cause.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Hey Rudel_chw,

did run some tests. If I load a static template like a battle group (on water) ... it works. I can place a plane (player) and run the mission. If I choose a ground template (like static template airport batumi blue ( not really the correct name) i does not work. I can save the file, but if I try to reopen, the file does not appear in the list, it is on the HD though, but 0 KB.

I did disable all mods and did run the repair (on steam... check files blabla)...

strange isn't it?

Edited by O_Edge

2 hours ago, O_Edge said:

Hey Rudel_chw,

did run some tests. If I load a static template like a battle group (on water) ... it works. I can place a plane (player) and run the mission. If I choose a ground template (like static template airport batumi blue ( not really the correct name) i does not work. I can save the file, but if I try to reopen, the file does not appear in the list, it is on the HD though, but 0 KB.

I did disable all mods and did run the repair (on steam... check files blabla)...

strange isn't it?

Hi,

I did tests too, and found that if you are using a Static Template that requires a User Mod, like for example the VPC airfield Mod, then if you try to use such a template when the User Mod is not present, it will behave as you describe.

So, make sure that you have enabled all the Mods that the Template requires ... if you are using my Airfield Templates, then most of them require at least the VPC airfield objects Mod and also the Suntsag NATO soldier Mod.

Best regards,

Eduardo

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

31 minutes ago, O_Edge said:

Hey.... ah, I see. Makes sense... thank you for your time and help!

best regards...

Olaf

No problem, I ran on the same issue as you since at the moment I'm helping beta test an upcoming Campaign and so I'm running Mod-free at the moment. But if I enable my user Mods, the Static Template work just as intended, like this:

🙂

ED, can you please add a bit of user mod checking to the LOAD STATIC TEMPLATE menu command, like you do when loading a MIZ file?

6TO0UHQ.jpg

This should be easy to implement, since the list of required modules is already contained on the Template:

km3eaoR.jpg

Thanks,

Eduardo

Edited by Rudel_chw

• 1 year later...

Hi

I respawn this old topic because I have the same issue.

I've done several static templates and I've included them in some missions. If I run one of these old missions, no issue at all, the mission launches and all is quite normal, but if I create a new mission with some of the static templates I've done, I have the same issue than O-Edge, the mission can't be saved or launched. I insist about the fact that all missions created with these templates are running without any problems. Just a new mission with them is impossible.

For example, I join a .stm having the issue. It needs lot of  mods. Missions created with it are running perfectly but a new mission with it can't be launched.

Heliport du lac.stm

CPU: I7-6700K 4Ghz, GC: nVidia GeForce Titan X Gigabytes, 32 Go DDR4, Motherboard: Gigabytes Z170X-Gaming 3. OS: W10-Family, 3 HD Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB + 1 Samsung SSD EVO 500 Gb. Oculus Rift CV1

20 minutes ago, jef32 said:

For example, I join a .stm having the issue. It needs lot of  mods. Missions created with it are running perfectly but a new mission with it can't be launched.

Your Template is somehow corrupted .. the Static Templates are basically LUA files, so they can be examined using Notepad++ ... yours is like this:

ZAgPrfq.jpg

I have collapsed irrelevant sections .. the interesting one is the "requiredModules" section: there is no Mods named there. A correct Template that uses User Mods, should look like this:

bDWBNMq.jpg

Check the "requiredModules" section .. compare with yours.

No, I have no idea how your Template got corrupted .. it has never happened to me.

Ouppps  I've done a mistake.

I'd thought about the required modules and I'd done some tries by erasing some lines after having saved the file.

Now here's the good file before my different tries.

Heliport du lac.stm

Edited by jef32

CPU: I7-6700K 4Ghz, GC: nVidia GeForce Titan X Gigabytes, 32 Go DDR4, Motherboard: Gigabytes Z170X-Gaming 3. OS: W10-Family, 3 HD Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB + 1 Samsung SSD EVO 500 Gb. Oculus Rift CV1

21 minutes ago, jef32 said:

Now here's the good file before my different tries.

I would have loved to try your template on my DCS, but I only have a few of the Mods that you used:

["requiredModules"] = 
    {
        ["Barbwire Fence by VPS_Tango"] = "Barbwire Fence by VPS_Tango",
        ["VARS Pylons 2019 by GrinnelliDesigns"] = "VARS Pylons 2019 by GrinnelliDesigns",
        ["Civil_Objects"] = "Civil_Objects",
        ["VPC Object by voc & virpil.com"] = "VPC Object by voc & virpil.com",
        ["goal_marker"] = "goal_marker",
        ["Navy Equipment"] = "Navy Equipment",
        ["Ambience Speakers"] = "Ambience Speakers",
        ["476 vFG Range Targets by Noodle & Stuka"] = "476 vFG Range Targets by Noodle & Stuka",
        ["NATO Ground Forces and units"] = "NATO Ground Forces and units",
        ["Ze Dim' New Static Pack"] = "Ze Dim' New Static Pack",
        ["GrinnelliDesigns Air Show Assets"] = "GrinnelliDesigns Air Show Assets",
        ["USN-Deckcrew"] = "USN-Deckcrew",
    }, -- end of ["requiredModules"]

So, I can't really test it on my rig ... I love User Mods, but I only use a few on Templates, so that I can use a mostly generic Template and then add any additional objects only on the mission I'm making, not on the Template.

But even if you can't try it, do you see errors in it ?

49 minutes ago, jef32 said:

But even if you can't try it, do you see errors in it ?

It is a 6,500 line text file, sorry but I'm unable to validate it by hand. 🙁

For my own Static Templates, I actually have two files for each template: One is a regular MIZ file, where I edit the objects and test them by running the mission within DCS. Once I'm sure that the mission works, then create the second file using "Save As Static Template", which generates the .STM file.  If I ever need to update the Template, I don't use the STM file at all, instead I load the original MIZ file and edit that within the Mission Editor, test any changes that I did, save the MIZ and then Save As Template for the STM file. 👍

Ok, thanks for having tried to help me !