HMCS Profiles

Caldera

Hey all;

I just got my second monitor working so I read this for the first time.  I noticed from the STAT screen you can go to HMCS screen where you can configure 3 separate HMCS profiles.

What is the meaning of OCLD.?  I noticed that many of the  parameters can be set to ON OFF OCLD with the rotary button.

Caldera

Edited by Caldera

6 hours ago, Hive said:

ON - always visible

OFF - never visible

OCLD - not visible while overlapping with the HUD

Hopefully ED corrects so “ON” actually is always visible.

certain items it doesn’t work right now.  I turn a lot of items “on” you normally wouldn’t because we don’t get all the real world symbology that the HUD should show as a “fix” 

13 hours ago, Foka said:

Until we'll have ability to save these profiles, it's wast of time with every start, IMO.

don't agree, it takes seconds to update once power on.

but yes being able to preprogrammed HMCS profiles (and other things that a proper DTC would do) would be amazing.  Just don’t see it happening, people have been asking, no begging, for this for years.

Edited by Snoopy
  • Like 2

Hey all;

I have as some questions. 

I use TrackIR.  After I center TrackIR and my HMD is turned on, when I look to the side out of the cockpit the HMD cross is about at a 30 degrees down angle.  The head position required to just look even with the horizon is pretty high.  In order to do that, and still make eye contact with the screen it is pretty uncomfortable for me.  There is no way the I can actually target a thing effectively, because I can't hold that head position and focus on the monitor.  It just seems to low.

Is this normal for the HMD and TrackIR? 

What I have been doing is freezing the display and then trying to slew the HMD cursor to where I want it.  But that takes quite a long time to do and negates any sort of point and shoot capability for me.

Any suggestions on a better way to do it?

Caldera

@Caldera i had issues with the HCMS targeting using trackir too. it took some time but i was able to keep head still enough to get a good aim. i make a markpoint, then slave all sensors to that point. then i use TGP to fine tune. a pilot would not have a superhuman zoom function IRL trackir is pretty sensitive on the zoom. another trick i use is to zoom in to see the target and zoom back out, then use HCMS to do a markpoint.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

I have another problem these days.  I can't make the HMD SOI.

I had thought that Coolie Hat up short should do it.   But...  If my HUD is SOI then after another Coolie Hat up short the HUD is still SOI.  if I press Coolie Hat up short 25 times the the HUD stays SOI.

Might be nice to use the HMD as SOI some times.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Caldera

On 1/24/2021 at 3:24 PM, Caldera said:

OK Thank You!

I wonder why?  Too make it more accurate with the real aircraft HOTAS?

In my case to use up another switch on my HOTAS that I have already mapped some where else.

Caldera

It is indeed to better reflect real world HOTAS command.  Also, Coolie Switch aft was a binding that was in use prior (on the II as well as the I), as it commanded the swap of displays on the MFDs.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

On 1/16/2021 at 5:57 PM, Caldera said:

I use TrackIR.  After I center TrackIR and my HMD is turned on, when I look to the side out of the cockpit the HMD cross is about at a 30 degrees down angle.

I figured this out.

When I was goofing around in the SnapViews.lua file I figured out that the Vangle variable controls this when using TrackIR.  I think it basically effects all views in TrackIR including where the HMD is placed.  The default value of Vangle is I believe -19.  Hence, I was always looking 19 degrees down in the cockpit and out of the cockpit. 

I noticed that if I didn't have some down angle then I was constantly fighting to keep the HMD view out of the HUD view.  My current value of Vangle is -10 (subject to change).   Even though the shaded area of the HMD is overlapping the HUD it does not occlude unless the target cross is over the HUD.  The frontal view can get crazy, especially when the aircraft is banking.  Turning the HUD to night colors helped, but still got confusing as hell.  This makes virtual life easier and of course is a compromise of sorts. 

Caldera

Edited by Caldera

• 9 months later...

andyfoot, could you post your Voice Attack command list to modify the HMCS profile?

I assume its all keyboard shortcuts for the OSB buttons, but curious how you approached it.

Thank you

i7 950 @4ghz liquid cooled, 6gb Corsair Dominator 1600, nvidia GTX-295, Corsair HX-1000, TM WH Hotas, TrackIR 4, Saitek X-52, Razer Nostromo, Razer Naga, 27" Samsung LCD, 24" AOC LCD

• 1 month later...
On 1/12/2021 at 2:49 PM, Snoopy said:

don't agree, it takes seconds to update once power on.

but yes being able to preprogrammed HMCS profiles (and other things that a proper DTC would do) would be amazing.  Just don’t see it happening, people have been asking, no begging, for this for years.

I use a workaround using Voice Attack to program my HMCS at startup. When I say a specific command (in my case 'display'), or press a programmed HOTAS combination it executes a string of controls for the HMCS. Takes less than a second to execute the whole list.

For example see below video. 

Edited by Ready
  • Like 1

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

On 1/11/2022 at 3:46 PM, Ready said:

I use a workaround using Voice Attack to program my HMCS at startup. When I say a specific command (in my case 'display'), or press a programmed HOTAS combination it executes a string of controls for the HMCS. Takes les than a second to execute the whole list.

For example see below video. 

I really need to do that.