New Rig - Ryzen 9 5900x + PALIT RTX 3090 ?

I have the opportunity to get a new rig with a Ryzen 9 5900X with 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz on a ASUS PRIME X570-P PCIe 4.0 ATX Motherboard, paired with a PALIT GeForce RTX 3090. All the components are available now.

I'm no hardware expert and have no experience with Ryzen processors. I'm intending to fly more or less exclusively with my Reverb G2.

Can anyone tell me :

Will I need to overclock, and if so how easy is that to do on a Ryzen? Would I just use the Ryzen Master utility ?

Any experience of PALIT graphics cards ?

Any issues pairing the Reverb G2 with such a rig ?

The rest of the spec:
500 and 1000GB M.2 NVMes
1000W - ASUS ROG Strix Fully Modular 80+ Gold PSU
and either
be quiet Dark Rock 4 Air Cooler
or
Corsair Hydro H100i RGB PRO XT Watercooler - 240mm

Really appreciate any advice.

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

You should be happy with the performance from the start the only ryzen like fast memory 3600mhz cl18 or better I am running R7 5800x and 2080 super had no need to overclock at 2560x1440 always 60 plus fps.

Edited by -Jeti-

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X X570 AORUS PRO WIFI Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500GB Samsung SSD 860 QVO AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8G 32Gb HyperX 3600 MSI MAG321CQR Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog Joystick T.Flight Rudder Pedals Buddy-Fox control box

Most hardware these days basically auto-overclocks based on your thermal statistics. If you have enough cooling capacity to handle it, it throttles up until it starts getting hot then backs off. 

Overclocking is less and less of a thing consumer side each year in my observations, unless you get into the really ''experienced'' realm of delidding processors or ''extreme cooling solutions''.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

- One thing you should keep in mind is that for now, SAM (resizeable BAR) only works with AMD graphics cards. Apparently a way to make it work with nVidia cards is being worked on, but it's not here yet;
- Also, as Jeti stated if you have the opportunity to get 3600MHz CL16 RAM, get that instead so you can run Infinity Fabric 1-1 at 1800MHz;
- Personally I had issues with using the USB-C port on my motherboard with my own Reverb G2, so if you can get a graphics card with USB-C that would be a nice thing to have. I take it they are rare these days, but at least it'll work;
- If you can get a 280mm AOI instead of the 240mm one, I'd go for that (providing you can fit it into your case): larger fans = lower rpm needed = less noise. I have the H115i RGB Platinum;
- I personally never heard of PALIT so can't comment on that;
- Overclocking is indeed less needed these days: my 5900X comfortably boosts to 4.95GHz. You can play around with  PBO in your BIOS if you feel so inclined, but personally I don't bother.

Edited by Raven (Elysian Angel)
addendum
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Thanks folks.

I can get Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600MHz - Black which is 18-22-22-42 (is that CL 18?) but only in 8GB sticks, so I guess I could get 4 ?

Looks like I can also get the Corsair Hydro H115i RGB PRO XT Watercooler - 280mm

Good news about overclocking, really wasn't looking forward to diving into the BIOS.

Many thanks for the good advice

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

7 minutes ago, shaun57 said:

is that CL 18?

Yes: CAS-latency is the first number. The amount of RAM is up to you. Simon said in one of his interviews the new graphics engine would benefit from having 64GB so I got myself 4x 16GB.

5 minutes ago, shaun57 said:

280mm

Make sure to triple check it fits properly in your case, and look up if you can mount it in either push or pull, or just pull configuration. That will save you some headaches later. 🙂 

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

15 hours ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

- One thing you should keep in mind is that for now, SAM (resizeable BAR) only works with AMD graphics cards. Apparently a way to make it work with nVidia cards is being worked on, but it's not here yet;
- Also, as Jeti stated if you have the opportunity to get 3600MHz CL16 RAM, get that instead so you can run Infinity Fabric 1-1 at 1800MHz;
- Personally I had issues with using the USB-C port on my motherboard with my own Reverb G2, so if you can get a graphics card with USB-C that would be a nice thing to have. I take it they are rare these days, but at least it'll work;

SAM is basically hit-and-miss at this point, it actually performs worse in some titles (like MSFS). I am not sure if anyone has actually provided scientific benchmarks of this in DCS to prove that it should even be considered.

USB-C on the graphics card was dropped by nVidia for RTX 30x0 as far as I know. It is only available on RTX 20x0 or AMD RX 6x00 series. 

For a CPU using max 140W, I'd stick with an aircooler. Watercooling, especially AiOs like this, are noisier and less reliable despite being significantly more expensive. You do not need a huge cooler for an AM4 CPU, I'd personnally recommend a Noctua NH-U12A if it is available, but anything BeQuiet is good as well. The only valid reason to go with an AiO watercooling on a 100-150W CPU is going SFF (small form factor). A standard tower aircooler has the benefit to contribute to case airflow.

Regarding memory, the gap between 3200MHz and 3600MHz is minuscule and you would be hard pressed to actually notice anything outside of specific benchmarks performed at unrealistic settings. If the price difference is small, go for it, otherwise I don't see the point. With a G2 you will be heavily GPU-limited anyway because of the high definition.

That power supply seems heavily overpowered, I'd stick with something of high quality but appropriate power. For a 3090 I guess 750W is needed, but not more ; Asus don't make their own PSUs, I'd stick with someone who actually does instead of a rebranded one (Seasonic or Superflower come to mind).

Edited by Qiou87

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

Thank you Qiou87,

Some differing opinions there, I hope I haven't sparked another hardware arguement 😉

The best air cooler I can get from this system builder is the be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4. I have read since yesterday, that air coolers tend to last considerably longer than water coolers, so that would certainly suit my requirements if it provides enough cooling when the processor is pushed/boosted.

Regarding boosting, and again, forgive my lack of knowledge, I literally only started looking at this 2 days ago - is it just a case of downloading Ryzen Master and choosing PBO or AutoOC? or do I leave it alone and it will automatically boost to around 4.9 as suggested above ?

I really don't want to get too involved in the whole overclocking experience, the machine is going to be dedicated to DCS so I'm just looking for the easiest way to maximise performance for that with the Reverb G2.

and with regards PSU, I'm somewhat limited - no 750s but they do have a 850W - Corsair RM850x 80+ Gold Modular PSU - White ?

For memory, perhaps I'll stick with the 2 x 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz for now as it keeps the price down a bit, and I can always add another 2 later, particulalry as I can only get 8GB 3600 sticks.

Many thanks for all the assistance

That system is probably top of the line these-days, at least from a consumer standpoint. I have the same cooler and run a CPU with a similar power-output, and can vouch it's extremely solid and very, very quiet. I wouldn't worry too much about overclocking, the possible gains for that particular processor are probably minimal anyway. Enjoy your system, but don't expect miracles. DCS is hampered by some very old code, which means that even the most powerful rigs are brought to their knees in certain conditions. This will get better as they work on upgrading the engine core and move to a newer rendering pipeline, hopefully by the end of 2021 this should bring increased performance for everyone, and especially the very top of the line CPU\GPU combos. 

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

That system is probably top of the line these-days, at least from a consumer standpoint. I have the same cooler and run a CPU with a similar power-output, and can vouch it's extremely solid and very, very quiet. I wouldn't worry too much about overclocking, the possible gains for that particular processor are probably minimal anyway. Enjoy your system, but don't expect miracles. DCS is hampered by some very old code, which means that even the most powerful rigs are brought to their knees in certain conditions. This will get better as they work on upgrading the engine core and move to a newer rendering pipeline, hopefully by the end of 2021 this should bring increased performance for everyone, and especially the very top of the line CPU\GPU combos. 

Sage words, thank you.

Not expecting miracles, I'm currently flying the A-10C II and the Viper with my G2, on a 6700K and 2080, with pretty much everything turned down to minimum and every optimisation tweak applied to try to maintain 45 FPS motion reprojection (some of the time) in very basic missions, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it! If I could maintain a solid 45FPS motion reprojection with full G2 resolution and a tad more detail in complex missions I would be more than happy.

With regards "very old code", until I recently retired I was employed by a certain American investment bank and I can tell you that there is still IBM mainframe COBOL and Assembler code running there, in systems responsible for processing millions of transactions daily, that was written in the mid 1980's ! I kid you not.

2 hours ago, shaun57 said:

Thank you Qiou87,

Some differing opinions there, I hope I haven't sparked another hardware arguement 😉

Many thanks for all the assistance

I am not trying to start any arguments, just to help out. If anyone finds offense in what I am saying, I hope it is not personal. Again, just trying to get you the most bang for your buck, and I am always happy to provide the "long" version of an explanation, including articles and such, if necessary. I have been advising people on their gaming rigs for 10 years on another forum so I am used to this. 

The Dark Rock Pro 4 is a beast of a cooler, you will not find any problems using this. Because it is so big the fans can run at a low speed, so it is very quiet. On top of that BeQuiet fans are among the best for quiet systems and I run three in my personal system.

The boost function is automatic and is common to AMD and Intel, however they work a little bit differently. But basically: the CPU has a "base" clock, one that is more or less guaranteed. As soon as the CPU has a high load and all its conditions are met (temperature below a certain level, power limit available, etc.) it will increase the frequency depending on which cores are "loaded" (usually less cores loaded = higher individual frequency for those cores). This is a very smart, optimized, and for you a transparent process.

The only thing you can do is, using Precision Boost Overdrive, to go even further by pushing a little higher frequency and lowering the power offset. But this is "overclocking", and it is not necessary. You can get maybe 5% more performance by doing this, but only when the CPU is the bottleneck. I don't actually recommend it unless you are an enthousiast and this is your "thing".

The Corsair RM850x is an excellent power supply, and I would highly recommend it over the 1000W Asus one. It is certainly one of the best ones out there, and it has more than enough to power this system.

I would also stick to 16GB sticks, because 8GB sticks will not be upgradable. I made that mistake once already (going 4x 4GB instead of 2x 8GB) and I had to sell it (at a considerable loss) not long after to double my memory capacity. 32GB today is excellent in DCS, there doesn't seem to be improvements to have more, but it is nice to have the possibility to increase to 64GB if it becomes useful in the future.

Edited by Qiou87
  • Like 1

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

I am certainly not offended and am extremely grateful for your detailed advice. I only mentioned it because I followed a few posts in the hardware section that began as requests for specific advice and then decayed into handware arguements.

Since joining the DCS forum in June I have nothing but admiration for those experienced and knowlegable members who take the trouble and time to offer their advice to new members. I would certainly have struggled to get anywhere near my current understanding without them.

Thanks everyone again for all your help.

• Like 2

I don't see any argument here, just people who genuinly try to help...

Spoiler

Another shout out for the "be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4" - I have it on my 10700K but I haven't had a need to overclock in DCS yet (CPU effectively bored, 2070S OC is pinned). The cooler is very quiet so I have no qualms recommending it.

RE: The power supply. 750-850 W is plenty. As suggested buy a good brand with a long warranty.

I'll second the comments on the RAM speed. Get 3600 if it doesn't cost a whole lot more. Given a choice between say 3200-CL14 and 3600-CL18 I'd be inclined to go with the 3200. 3600-CL16 - depends on the difference in price.

Supposedly there are performance differences with 4 sticks of RAM versus 2 sticks with 4 sticks being faster - but that is "bench racing" stuff - probably would never notice by the seat of the pants. That said, I did 4 x 16GB 3200 CL14.  With the Channel Map in free-flight (Spitfire) using ~24GB by itself I thought it prudent to go straight to 64GB so I don't have to open the case again for a long time.

2 hours ago, reece146 said:

Supposedly there are performance differences with 4 sticks of RAM versus 2 sticks with 4 sticks being faster - but that is "bench racing" stuff - probably would never notice by the seat of the pants. That said, I did 4 x 16GB 3200 CL14.  With the Channel Map in free-flight (Spitfire) using ~24GB by itself I thought it prudent to go straight to 64GB so I don't have to open the case again for a long time.

Not actually correct, it is NOT the amount of modules that matters here but the amount of Ranks. 2 sticks can be as fast as 4 sticks IF the 2 stick setup ( say 2 x 16GB ) consists

of DUAL RANK modules, which most older 16GB sticks are. In the past year new IC's have emerged that have double the capacity which means you can get a SINGLE RANK 16GB stick if you don't watch out what you buy. The good thing is, with those new IC's you can now get a 32GB Dual Rank stick and achieve a total of 128GB if needed. So one could get a 2 stick 2 x 32GB DR kit and also keep the door open to add another 2 sticks later on.

That said, think twice before you plan to add RAM later on. It has never been easy to add modules to already existing modules. Not even the same brand and model will be a guaranty that it will work. You would need the same production week or day to have a high chance of succeeding.

In addition, the amount of available DDR4 sticks to choose from will dramatically go down over the next 18 months ( likely your upgrade window, time wise ) as DDR5 is on the merge and production will mainly shift to those and high end sticks of the DDR4 era will likely be stopped in production. They will provide the JDEC specific versions, 2133 and 2666, for years to come but I would not bet on getting a matching pair of 3200MHz Brand-XYZ with 18-blablabla specs, that is likely not the case from what we have seen over the last decade with DDR, DDR2, DDR3, DDR4 and now DDR5.

Tbh, I would not pick a 750w PSU and stick with a 850w to stay on the safer side, it can become borderline if you need to run the system at full-tilt throttle. The GPU will be around 300-350w under load ( also in DCS )and can under certain conditions reach up to 500+watts, the CPU can take A LOT more than what the TDP tells you. If you run ANY of the stability tests it will tax CPU and GPU to 100% and may cause the PSU to get near it's safe limits. With 100w more on your side you should be safe even when running a stability tests for hours and hours. Seasonic Prime Platinum or Titanium would be my pick. With the setup you have you will likely consume 300w GPU + 50w CPU + 50w board and drives = 400w. Add another 10% safety margin and you are pretty much at 50% load of a 850w PSU. 50% load is where a PSU runs most efficient and the coolest. With Platinum grade you will only produce 7-8% heat ( 92-93% eff. ). Say 8% of 425w is roughly 40w heat generated by your PSU. With a Gold PSU it will not be that much more but I would not consider Gold as good enough for such a rig. The quality of a PSU is hard to see from the outside. Take warranty period as a measure. Don't buy below 7 years ( Gold ) and try to get 10-12years if possible ( Platinum and Titanium ). The parts used to build the better ones cost more, last longer and foremost put LESS STRESS on the components.

BTW, a 3600 CL16 is about as low latency as a 3200CL14. The difference comes to light when you move larger amounts of data, then the higher numbers ( 3200 vs 3600 ) wins the race. The CL value could be seen as a drag race, quarter mile or Traffic light sprints, the MHz value stands for the long run, NY to LA...as an analogy. You need both being good to win the overall race. 3600 CL16 is the sweet spot.

• Like 1

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Well folks, I was on the verge of ordering my new rig, and then last night I happened upon a video comparing performance data on 8 RTX 3090 cards (Titled "Which RTX 3090 to BUY and AVOID! Ft. Nvidia, Asus Gigabyte, MSI, Palit, Zotac" on Youtube).

The PALIT card (the only one my builder currently has available) comes a resounding bottom in the reviewers conclusion. This has obvioulsy made me think twice about rushing into the purchase. I'll speak to them today to see if they have any others on order.

Since it hasn't been pointed out, maybe I should? The RTX3090 to buy maybe no RTX3090 at all. This card has horrible value, providing only 10% performance increase over RTX3080 despite 2x the price.

Of course, if you have a huge budget and just want to best, I can understand, but I am just not sure you can feel "good" about buying such a product that nVidia launched only to grab as much cash from their customers as they could. The huge amount of VRAM is totally useless in games and targeted towards content creators, and really the performance gains in game compared to RTX3080 will probably be very difficult to notice. If a game is running well on 3090, it will run just as well on 3080, maybe with one effect turned down that you won't notice at all.

I also try to highlight this because your builder only proposes the "worst" RTX3090 according to infos you found. Maybe he has much better RTX3080 cards that can actually run quiet and provide you with a much better experience ; performance is not everything if you card crashes in the summer due to overtemperature of VRMs, or if it makes more noise than a leafblower...

Not necessarily.

RTX 3090 is more easily available. How much is your time and aggravation saved, worth?

Real world 3080 prices are not half as much. Especially if you have to buy it in a bundle with another part you don’t need, just to get the card. Or you buy from a scalper, which is sometimes an official retailer.

If what you really wanted was a 3080ti, the price difference goes down much further.

As for his builder having some 3080s on hand, not likely, unless they’ve priced them close to a 3090.

disclaimer: yes, I do have a 90. Temps are fine, although it’s not summer; and it doesn’t make/cause anymore noise than the 1080ti it replaced.

Edited by cordite
disclaimer

I hear what you're saying Qiou87, and I have been wrestling with that too. In it's defence I've read a number of posts from seasoned VR pilots with G2s stating that DCS is using over 10 GB VRAM on the 3090 ("I frequently use more than 10Gb of VRAM, 12 in the caucuses, more in the Channel").

I've actually just spoken to my builder and after they reviewed what I'm proposing to buy and my issue with the PALIT they suddenly confirmed that they have the ASUS STRIX (which is at the top of that list)

I agree it's a BIG purchase and not one I take lightly. I recently took voluntary redundancy (which at my age effectively retires me - no complaints here;) and so have some settlement funds to play with, and LOTS of time on my hands. So looking to future proof myself (as much as that is admittedly possible) which is why I'm leaning towards the 3090.

I do really appreciate everyones advice. I may take the plunge today. Perhaps I'll just have another coffee and watch the cricket for a while first....

I managed to get a 3090 in UK just before christmas. Was waiting on a 3080ti too. I feel that 10gb (at the high end) for any flight sims isn't future proof enough. I have seen all my 1080ti's VRAM used so for a card that will ideally last a few years - I want more. 24gb is more than I need but there was nothing else on offer. I spent so long waiting for a 3080ti that my GPU savings got enough for a 3090 so I decided to take the plunge and managed to get a gigabyte gaming OC from scan at 1599. I felt real pain and was convinced that I should send it back however, once it arrived I couldn't resist trying it so I've kept it. Now I'm really glad as the 3080ti didnt get announced on the 12th Jan and there is talk of GPUs going up in price, I know this may only be the states but I'm sure it will have a knock on here. Intresting the same card in the UK at overclockers.co.uk is availbale for pre-order at 1759 and all their cards seem much higher price overall. So I've paid 600-700 more than the equivalent 3080. Is it worth it, that really depends. I actually have it, rather than not so thats a plus. It is more powerful (only by a little) and the VRAM thing isn't an issue. I would have rather had a 3080ti for 1100 -1200 but these are even more mythical than a 3080 so its not even an option. If by the time they do come out everything is more expensive an AIB 3080ti may well end up 1300-1400 anyway. With 3090 probably all pushing 1700-1800. I'm glad that I am out of the buying game and have something that will last me into my next CPU.

53 minutes ago, Leaderface said:

Yes: 3080 and 10 Gb on DCS and G2 may not be future proof.

The 3090 bet may be safer (althought freaking expensive).

Many People would buy a 3080 10 Gb and replace it on the next gen Nvidia refresh too. (Not a bad move).

Just wanted to provide some nuance here, but hey, I'm not in other people's wallets. I respect everyone's right to spend their own money as they please. I do agree that 10GB might not be so future-proof on the 3080, but I assume if you have the funds for a 3090, you can afford to change GPUs more often and spring for a 4080 when it comes out it 12-18 months?

And typically high-end cards depreciate at a faster rate simply because they are so expensive relative to their performance ; RTX2080Ti provides RTX 3070 levels of performance, so it should sell below 500$ used although it was over 1200$ new just a few months ago. That's one hell of a dive, and I guess 3090 will take the same route when RTX40x0 comes out.

3080Ti has been postponed indefinitely (acc. to Hardware Unboxed), probably because AMD cannot ship the RX6000s in meaningful quantities so there is no real alternative to the RTX3080.

Edited by Qiou87

24 minutes ago, Qiou87 said:

Just wanted to provide some nuance here, but hey, I'm not in other people's wallets. I do agree that 10GB might not be so future-proof on the 3080, but I assume if you have the funds for a 3090, you can afford to change GPUs more often and spring for a 4080 when it comes out it 12-18 months?

And typically high-end cards depreciate at a faster rate simply because they are so expensive relative to their performance ; RTX2080Ti provides RTX 3070 levels of performance, so it should sell below 500$ used although it was over 1200$ new just a few months ago. That's one hell of a dive, and I guess 3090 will take the same route when RTX40x0 comes out.

3080Ti has been postponed indefinitely (acc. to Hardware Unboxed), probably because AMD cannot ship the RX6000s in meaningful quantities so there is no real alternative to the RTX3080.

I really don't think all 3090 owners are rich. I'm not. I've saved for that for over 12 months. I built a high end PC over a year ago and decided it was a bad move to buy a 2080ti at 1200 over a used 1080ti for 400 (2080 ti - 20% uplift? - same vram). I was expecting 3000 series in march so it was later than I expected, then of course the stock delays... however I've been GPU saving since the PC was built. Never expected to spend 1600 quid but the delays worked my my favour. As for 4080's, well if you thought 3080s were mythical.... who knows when they will come out? who knows how fast they will be? who knows how much they will be? With PCs you can always wait until the next thing, but at some point you have to purchase. We could have the same conversation when the 4080 comes out. What will the 5080 be like? 

Edited by Hoirtel

22 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

I really don't think all 3090 owners are rich. I'm not. I've saved for that for over 12 months. I built a high end PC over a year ago and decided it was a bad move to buy a 2080ti at 1200 over a used 1080ti for 400 with a (20% uplift - same vram). I was expecting 3000 series in march so it was later than I expected, then of course the stock delays... however I've been GPU saving since the PC was built. Never expected to spend 1600 quid but the delays worked my my favour. As for 4080's, well if you thought 3080s were mythical.... who knows when they will come out? who knows how fast they will be? who knows how much they will be? With PCs you can always wait until the next thing, but at some point you have to purchase. We could have the same conversation when the 4080 comes out. What will the 5080 be like? 

My argument for the 4080 is just to say that instead of buying a 1600$ card right now and plan to keep it long term, you can change more frequently, every generation, but go for the second-best for example. As you lose less cash than on higher end when reselling, this turns out quite nice. I actually prefer to do this and change video cards every 12 to 18 months on average, so I don't really consider "future proof" in my purchasing decision (because in the end it is difficult to predict what will be determining for the future).

I'm not going to argue about "rich or not", again, your money your choice. But you have to recognize that it is a large amount of money for what is only a computer component, and one that will depreciate much faster than any other in your PC. So asking if it is the right choice to spend such a large amount of money is warranted, even if you decide that the answer is "YES". I know the current shortage situation makes people go a little bit crazy (OMG this card is in stock, I should get it before it's too late) but sometimes it helps to take a breath.

Edited by Qiou87