what are you using for controls in the Huey ?

Rick50

I’m using the same as virusam at the moment and have since it arrived back in2017. But my pit I wish to be a vr pit which by swapping this and that go from a fighter to a helicopter to a bush plane to a airliner to a racing car. And since I have an abondance of gear I can have the following setups at a minimum I’ll keep it to dcs and xplane since they are the two sim I run for flying and nascar for raising.

setup 1 a-10c

2 mfds warthod throttle warthawg stick thrustmaster pendulum peddels buddy ox

setup 2 f-16

2mfds cougar throttle cougar stick tpp pedals

Setup 3 huey

warthawg stick on two extensions outdated max flight collective tpp pedals

setup 4 bush plane 

honeycommb alpha. Honeycomb beta or one of the other throttles thrustmaster pedals 

setup5 airliner

honeycomb alpha and beta thrustmaster pedals 

setup 6 race car using nascar

thrustmasrer stearing wheel with paddle shifter and brackets and acceleration pedal

my current equipment inventory includes but isn’t restricted to these:

‘Thrustmaster Warthawg HOTAS

Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS

Thrustmaster TPR Pedals 

‘Honeycomb Alpha Yoke

Honeycomb Beta Throttle Quadrant

Max-Flight outdated collective 

Max-Flight outdated cyclic

Pro Flight Trainer Puma

Saitek yoke

Saitek throttle quadrant x2

saitek pedals

Saitek comm panel x2

Saitek Multi painel

Saitek Switch Panel 

Saitek Enunciater Panel

BuddyBox UFC

ANother button box that once I locate it I will list it here

oculus rift s vr system

the computer system is and has been waiting to build as my hands are not up to the task.

‘the monitor will be listed later as I locate it’s info 

in the mean time my Azusa predator 17 laptop will contine to host the sims.

I’ll list my headset if I can find their info

ok I have several electrical mods for the warthawg and cougar hotas

i have cap to glove system to tryout

ihave another hand tracking vr system 

the warthawg throttle has already been moved for the slew button to improve it tremendously 

when I. Setup for each configuration I’ll try and remember to photograph it and post it plus list the complete list of items that got us there. The past of the pit is Speedmaster Flight seat and framework. The one thing I’ve done so far for my convenience was to build a wooden platform to raise everything up.

once each setup is posted here I’ll will organize and expand what each would be good for like swapping out the yoke in the bush pilot setup with a stick and maybe relocating the throttle you have a perfect setup for another lightweight bush plane that uses a stick instead of a yoke. And if I get in to,flying left handed stick planes I may invest in the newer thrustmaster airbus controls.  Right now the Saitek stuff is in storage I guess based on the monitor I might use some of the panels that are not available elsewhere but the yoke and pedals will go up for sail allow with the one throttle and hotas stick a throttle I could never get to work .

I will also let you know the exact mods each setup uses.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

On 1/29/2021 at 12:19 PM, jym said:

For those using rudder pedals with office-type chairs, how are you preventing your chairs from rolling and/or rotating when you push on the rudders? I guess it's less of an issue with helicopter-style pedals where one can keep one's heels on the ground, but what do people who have to keep their whole foot on the pedal do?

I know I'm late to this thread, but I've *finally* resolved this with an ingenuous, extremely simple solution that you can even build yourself (if you - unlike me - have the skills). Simply build a rectangular frame that holds both your chair's rollers and pedals. I ordered from their store (in south Korea), and it took 5 days to arrive (that's practically overnight when you are used to Virpil delivery times 🙂 ). Works well, stows within seconds.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2021 at 8:17 PM, Rick50 said:

Considering the uniqueness of heli flying, I'm curious what you guys are using for controls with the Huey specifically. I ask for the Huey because many seem to believe this is the most "lively" of the helis, the one that keeps you on your toes. And fingertips!

Did you mod an existing stick, maybe with an extension? 

Did you make your own collective?

How does it work for you? 

Do you plan on a different hardware setup in future?

Touch Controls all the way..

I use the Pro Flight Trainer Puma with optional toe-brake mod and high resolution circuit board, and Oculus Rift S or HTC Vive Pro (I have both headsets).

I like the three-way switch on the Puma collective, as it gives you three tiers of button assignments with the flick of a switch.

It's a minor thing, but I also like the centering block for the cyclic. You don't have to eyeball center when calibrating.

The anti-torque pedals are smooth and nice, and the whole Puma setup is well made, with attention to detail. The entire unit plugs into my PC with a single USB connection.

I use an adjustable, light office chair with mesh back and seat cushion. It can be adjusted very low. The wheels fit just right inside the base frame of the Puma so I don't roll.

I have the Puma adjusted so the cyclic and collective stay where I put them, but don't have much resistance when flying.

The toe-brake mod makes flying a lot of other aircraft work well, such as warbirds with the cyclic and pedals, plus my two throttle quadrants. I also have a yoke, a jet-style joystick, and fixed wing rudder pedals.

But my primary sim focus is flying helicopters in DCS World, X-Plane 11, and Aerofly FS 2. Waiting for word on "Airland". And I pre-ordered the Mi-24P for DCS World the other day, so I own all DCS World helicopters (and most of the other modules as well).

It's a good hobby and gives an old, retired military guy like me something to do besides chores around the ranch. 🙂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Oubaas said:

I use the Pro Flight Trainer Puma with optional toe-brake mod and high resolution circuit board, and Oculus Rift S or HTC Vive Pro (I have both headsets).

Waiting for word on "Airland".

Nice.

What is "Airland" though?  A search got me bed mattresses...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/16/2021 at 6:22 PM, petsild said:

For several years I have been using my own Lego design with mjoy16 electronics.

I have set the axis of the collective inverted for helicopters.

DSC_0060_2.jpg

DSC_0056_2.jpg

DSC_0053_2.jpg

I modified the Lego design to 2V1 device, now I have the option to easily convert to collective control.

DSC_0063.jpg?ver=0

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0067.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

• 2 months later...

As a fixed wing pilot in sims & RL, I've always viewed helicopters as expensive, noisy and overly complex means of committing suicide.  Then on a whim I bought the Huey and saw the error of my ways. I found using my Warthog throttle as a collective worked but I wanted a 'proper' collective.  A little looking showed  that available sim collectives are few and expensive.  Enter my Thrustmaster TWCS Which I.ve been hanging onto as a back-up for the Warthog. Largely repurposed stuff ( writing table top, desk lamp, R/C plane linkages and the rear end out of a 56 Pontiac.) I did make a rule that I couldn't alter the TWCS in any way other than some disassembly, that way I can return it to normal service if needed.  Just finished this prototype (don't judge too harshly) today and it seems to work well.  Still dialing in the curves and saturation but the fine control is so much better.

(just kidding about the Pontiac)

0921211722a.jpg

• Like 3

As a fixed wing pilot in sims & RL, I've always viewed helicopters as expensive, noisy and overly complex means of committing suicide.  Then on a whim I bought the Huey and saw the error of my ways. I found using my Warthog throttle as a collective worked but I wanted a 'proper' collective.  A little looking showed  that available sim collectives are few and expensive.  Enter my Thrustmaster TWCS Which I.ve been hanging onto as a back-up for the Warthog. Largely repurposed stuff ( writing table top, desk lamp, R/C plane linkages and the rear end out of a 56 Pontiac.) I did make a rule that I couldn't alter the TWCS in any way other than some disassembly, that way I can return it to normal service if needed.  Just finished this prototype (don't judge too harshly) today and it seems to work well.  Still dialing in the curves and saturation but the fine control is so much better.

(just kidding about the Pontiac)
0921211722a.thumb.jpg.cd410374ed7c7a4645226cf57e4943c6.jpg
I've seen simililar solutions, but they mounted it vertical. Seems easier.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

On 9/21/2021 at 7:49 PM, Rick50 said:

No harsh judgments here... but... um...  I'm intrigued! And i hope you post more details, some key feature closeups... looks like a unique solution, as does the Lego mod!

I'll take ...um...intrigued! 

Again just a proof of concept so it's not pretty.  Made another trip to the thrift store for FAA certified UH-1 parts (by that I mean another desk lamp) to beef up the linkage a bit.  It certainly isn't perfect, there is some slop in the linkage and the 'stiction' the TWCS is famous for gets amplified though the grip.  Still far better than using a Warthog throttle as a collective.  If I were to get serious I would build up the links from scratch using steel rods with proper rod end bearings.  BTW, That is a calibrated brick.  It's the optional "Auto Stability" Package

2s.jpg

3s.jpg

1s.jpg

Edited by SuperChief141
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

Saitek X52 hotas, TM rudder pedals and Delan clip Head tracker.

Made an extension for the throttle to be more like a collective.  Plumbers pipe, hard foam and switches I had at home, other stuff I got from e-bay.  Made the bracket that attaches it to the throttle out of an aluminium coat hanger and big hammer.  Really adds to the immersion factor.

IMG_20220620_142001.jpg

IMG_20220620_142012.jpg

IMG_20220620_142122.jpg

• Like 2

GE Wings2.jpg           AMD Ryzen 5, 16 GB DDR4, AMD XFX Radeon RX590 8GB, 27" curved Samsung monitor.

• 2 months later...

Here is what I'm using. Definitely went overkill for this one but I can't say no to new projects and the huey is still my favorite thing to fly in dcs. 

Cyclic and collective are the real thing from the aircraft. Buttons are all wired up and working as well as the axis for everything including the twist throttle. 

Had to edit the default.lua file to make some of the switches behave correctly and now I can go from cold start to flying without touching the keyboard (except for closing the doors)

There is also a custom radio box and systems control box. the smaller one needs labels but the radio box is soon gettin replaced with some custom panels to include a real UHF control head that I hope to make work in the sim. 

The whole set up makes flying the huey a dream! Probably the closest I'll get to flying the real thing. 

Wkl2cxn - Imgur.jpg

S4DcaLP - Imgur.jpg

1Uhwgnc - Imgur.jpg

Edited by Studsmcgee
Fix pictures
  • Like 9

5 hours ago, Mike145 said:

Very nice, would love some original bits.👍

It’s starting to become an addiction. I’m checking eBay all the time. 

My next project is a radio stack with mostly original radio control heads. No idea if it’ll work but im going to try haha. 

Edited by Studsmcgee
Spelling
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 6:33 PM, Studsmcgee said:

Here is what I'm using. Definitely went overkill for this one but I can't say no to new projects and the huey is still my favorite thing to fly in dcs...

Wooh! Such an incredible set up! I think I'm in love! 🙂

As you said "Probably the closest I'll get to flying the real thing."

Good job buddy!!! 👌

• Like 1

I needed something easily removable. I have a T.Flight Hotas X plus a Logitech Pro Flight Rudder Pedals (with the springs removed in both of them). And that's what I did 🙂

When I'm flying on VR I always have the pilot's body enabled, and my hands feel in the right place over the cyclic and collective.

cyclic.jpg

collective.jpg

Edited by Presidium

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2022 at 7:34 AM, Astralnut said:

I used the Proflight Puma then changed out later to Virpil all the way around. Virpil seems to have a higher resolution so the Huey runs nice and smooth now to fly. 

You're so right. I went from a X56 Rhino HOTAS (Lol) all Logitech gear to all Virpil  but (MFG Crosswind Pedals) My Constellation Grip on the VPC WarBRD base was a SHOCK to me. it gives so much Micro control ability I can leave it dead center and apply just enough Collective to get the Very fine point of Lift with left pedal input applied then move the Cyclic to its needed position. I am always watching other people fly and how much they are moving the Cyclic around. I am amazed at how little is truly needed with the Virpil Gear. I thought I might regret the Collective but OMG it has turned out to be just as Wonderful as the Cyclic and base. I am also a VR only Pilot want to be. I use the Virpil Switch Panel 1 in this setup also and Love it just as much. My MFG Crosswind Pedals with Damper are high res and I just love them. The Huey is a Dream to fly. 

Edited by DishDoggie

^ This is a great thread and I love seeing the creativity! Huey is my fave of them all in dcs 🙂

the vids are about a year old or more. I've made small changes since but basically still the same. Some butchered vkb stuff attached to ebay handbrake and bunnings parts for pedals.  

https://imgur.com/f5zvpaH

https://imgur.com/HxIyWSj

https://imgur.com/uxfMnwg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dogmanbird said:

^ This is a great thread and I love seeing the creativity! Huey is my fave of them all in dcs 🙂

the vids are about a year old or more. I've made small changes since but basically still the same. Some butchered vkb stuff attached to ebay handbrake and bunnings parts for pedals.  

https://imgur.com/f5zvpaH

https://imgur.com/HxIyWSj

https://imgur.com/uxfMnwg

Very Cool Awesome Job. Wonderful Build. 💯