Generalized Mil Panel

jcagle

Hello All,

I was sitting with a keyboard in lap back in October and reached a tipping point. I was tired of looking down to find keys, constantly breaking immersion. So, I started buying switches and laying them out on carboard cut-outs. Two months later, and this is where I'm at. Next is the task of hooking things up in a methodical way (I am an engineer, and it should be noted that the real world F/A-18 HOOK lever is attached to the sim base via personally milled aluminum adapter). 

I will be sporadically posting images in the months to come. It won't be much of a "How to" but hopefully some motivation for others of a similar mindset.

Switches.jpg

First project was a minor reworking of the excellent WinWing Hornet throttle by integrated 3x Otto switches. In absence of a boat switch on the F/A-18, I thought it would be a nice addition when flying the A-10C. The push-button switches were also selected to be distinct so there is no tactile confusion about which is being pressed. Adapter collars were turned out of 3/4" aluminum rod.

Throttle 1.jpg

Throttle 2.jpg

Throttle 3.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

In a search for center-mount seat concepts, I stumbled across a pilot's seat complete with a 5-point harness sitting in someone's garage, and for too good of a deal to pass up. Here is a quick-attach assembly for the flight stick. Probably a month out, but the next project is to build a base for the seat and a quick-attach for a rudder plate.

Stick%20Bracket%2001.JPG?dl=1

Stick%20Bracket%2002.jpeg?dl=1

Stick%20Bracket%2005.jpeg?dl=0

Stick%20Bracket%2003.jpeg?dl=1

Stick%20Bracket%2004.jpeg?dl=1

Stick%20Bracket%2005.jpeg?dl=1

Stick%20Bracket%2006.jpeg?dl=1

Stick%20Bracket%2007.jpeg?dl=1

• Like 1

toughest betatester ever!

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

• 4 months later...

Since this is a generalized cockpit, there are no specific switch layouts to follow.

Starting with the all-important CAD prototype (Ref: Project Binky), panel sizes and layouts are on a third revision and getting close enough to start moving towards design and fabrication of the frames.

Panels%2001.jpg?dl=1

Panels%2002.jpg?dl=1

• Like 1

I've been impressed with the general quality and function of the router. Some high-level pro's and con's

General

-  It has a serious learning curve, with probably 3-6 months needed to fully wrap your head around it capabilities and good technique

-  Very capable in soft materials (wood/plastic), but at its limit with aluminum....you really need to be dialed with the tool to have good results

-  As always, good cutters from solid carbide are worth the investment

-  While Shaper does sell a base, I found it necessary to make own to really get the most out of the tool (see above). Fixture building for part cutting seems to be a routine need in projects.

Pro's:

- Robust design from hardware to software. Probably the best example is that there is no shutdown procedure, just yank out the power cord whenever you are done. It remembers where you were and what you did. Really thoughtful design for work environments where circuit breakers trip without warning.

-  Good general accuracy in X-Y plane (part edges), though it does take a good understanding of referencing and datums.

-  Outstanding accuracy in depth and small features (e.g. holes) - it nails the transition in fits from  press->slip->loose

Con's

-  2D only, it's best to think of it as a free-form water jet or laser cutter that's not bound by spatial requirements, and you have a cutter to determine the path profile

-  3D is not really a feature limit: you can easily offset paths per depth, or with datums it's possible rapidly and accurately place varying contours with different depths

-  3D is really limited by human hours (you have to walk it through every pass) and the router supports its mass directly on the work piece, so it would start to get unstable if you made a topographic map (as an example).

- From above, the router support its mass on the work piece and will scratch more polished/finished surfaces if they are soft. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Some larger pieces are finally coming together.  Almost ready to begin fabrication, complete F-18 font family built from scratch (sourced from actual F-18 imagery), and narrowing in on paint selection after running through 8 candidates (optimize ease of application, no sanding, and durable). 

Flight%20Chassis%20v5.png?dl=1

Sim%20Panels%20v24.png?dl=1

Font%20Test%20-%201.png?dl=1

Font%20Test%20-%202.jpg?dl=1

Font%20Test%20-%203.jpg?dl=1

• 2 months later...
On 9/7/2021 at 5:28 AM, jcagle said:

Some larger pieces are finally coming together.  Almost ready to begin fabrication, complete F-18 font family built from scratch (sourced from actual F-18 imagery), and narrowing in on paint selection after running through 8 candidates (optimize ease of application, no sanding, and durable). 

Flight%20Chassis%20v5.png?dl=1

Sim%20Panels%20v24.png?dl=1

Font%20Test%20-%201.png?dl=1

Font%20Test%20-%202.jpg?dl=1

Font%20Test%20-%203.jpg?dl=1

Any updates now a few months later?

Cool project.  

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

• 10 months later...

Life has been very busy the last year (wow!).  I haven't bee able to document progress very well, but progress has been made.  

The switch layout is on its third and hopefully final iteration.  Panel bases have changed from plastic (prototype) into mirror finish aluminum. This is nearing final iteration and will post some more in the coming months.

null

null

image.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 year later...