Turret Locked if Stabiliser Initially On

Northstar98

Hi Everyone,

I've found a bug that is probably related to this one.

If you take direct control of a vehicle and turn the stabiliser on (without moving the turret) the turret will remain locked in place (in both elevation and azimuth) and it is unable to be moved. What you have to do to get it unlocked is to have the stabiliser off, move the turret, and then turn the stabiliser on again.

It seems that moving the turret with the stabiliser off is the only way to get the stabiliser to work properly. After that it will function as desired, this might pose a problem as IRL, most vehicles with stabilisers typically have them engaged by default and are only turned off in certain circumstances.

In the track below I'm using the T-80U, after taking control I drive forward a short distance, stop, enable the handbrake, and immediately after the white 'dust' (I'm very pleased that's getting sorted) clears I start operating the controls, but the turret remains fixed in place; shortly after I disable the stabiliser and control is restored, then I re-enable the stabiliser and all is well.

This can be repeated on every vehicle with a stabiliser.

As a side note, using the turret to hull align disables the stabiliser.

Latest OB, Specs below, using the joystick to control the turret.

T-80U_Stabiliser_Bug.trk

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On 1/16/2021 at 9:11 PM, Flappie said:

Hi. Although your replay shows you stuck exactly as you describe it, I can't reproduce the issue when I'm driving the tank.

T-80U_Stabiliser_no_bug.trk 91.99 kB · 12 downloads

Interesting, I can reproduce this, but it seems inconsistent. I tried replicating what you did (i.e stab on, drive forward, stop move turret), at first it behaved as your track, but trying it again, in my own mission (just a T-80U) I found that if you're stopped, and the turret isn't moved, if you turn the stab on and try to move the turret, you can't.

I then drove forward, stopped, moved the turret, it was still stuck; then I drove forwards again and suddenly it jumped into position and was able to be moved.

However, when I try and repeat it, I get results of my first test i.e I can't move the turret in stab on, until I move it in stab off.

T-80U_Stabiliser_Bug2 (jump).trk

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I really can't reproduce your issue. Maybe you have conflicting Combined Arms controls.

Please try renaming your "Saved Games\DCS" (or DCS.openbeta) folder, start DCS (loads default settings and default controls) and try again with your mission. Keys I'm using are:

1. V (stabilizer ON)
  2. X (gear Drive)
  3. W (accelerate)
  4. H (handbrake)
  5. Mouse (move turret)

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.