Stutters despite solid 45FPS

Jacks

I am mainly playing in VR on the Syria Map.  My specs are below.  However, I seem to get stutters when looking to the side, at the ground and sometimes when looking ahead but my FPS counter is maintaining a solid 45FPS.

I am forcing ASW and PD1.3 using Oculus Tray Tool.  Textures are set to low to reduce VRAM. MSAA off. I have:

HPET set off 

Game mode disabled

No device hotplug enabled in Autoexec.cfg

GameDVR is disabled

I am using VR shaders Mod

Running DCS off of an SSD

Any ideas what is causing the stutters at 45FPS?

Specs: 8700k @5GHz, 32GB DDR 3200MHz RAM, GTX1080, SSD.

Edited by Jacks
  • Like 1

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

try dropping the PD to 1.0 ... the VRAM usage for the Syria map is quite high, do you get the same perf issues on other maps ? 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

1 hour ago, Taz1004 said:

Just checking since you didn't include in your list.  Did you disable HAGS?

What is HAGS?

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

HAGS should be off by default.  but it is worth checking to make sure

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I have read somewhere Nvidia has issues with new drivers, has something to do with fps monitoring. So i just close gpu tweaker, nvidia experience, and even dcs fps display. I also choose Best performance in Windows System advance properties(makes browser letters looks crapy)and half core cpu affinity to DCS and other half to VR processes(hololens...something). Best thing is, I also can forget about the fps and enjoy the sim.

Edited by Revs

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27

4 hours ago, aleader said:

I'm currently mapping it for the A10C II along with my TWCS throttle.  I have TrackHat and Cougar MFDs, so I am wondering what I can use the smooth hat (top left) for?  I also haven't figured out a use for the dials and throttle on the base  of the stick.  I use the TWCS dial for zoom view.  Any ideas? 

I also have FC3, the Harrier, F18, Sabre, and all the helicopters, although other than the Ka 50, the helis don't really use a lot of buttons to begin with.

On 1/14/2021 at 5:27 AM, Taz1004 said:

Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling.

In your Windows 10 GPU settings.

Depending on version, I don't think that's an option now.

OP

If it's available, try enabling motion smoothing. I know most HATE (and I did at first) but now I hardly notice any artifacts. And the smoothness is well worth the trade off IMHO.

I'm getting 30-45 with HIGH/HIGH, low shadows, flat terrain shadows,  trees about 75% and 1.2 PD

Using most of the available shader mods.

I have also uninstalled the GeForce experience app and rolled my drivers way back. (1080ti FE)

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

On 1/14/2021 at 8:51 AM, Jacks said:

I am mainly playing in VR on the Syria Map.  My specs are below.  However, I seem to get stutters when looking to the side, at the ground and sometimes when looking ahead but my FPS counter is maintaining a solid 45FPS.

I am forcing ASW and PD1.3 using Oculus Tray Tool.  Textures are set to low to reduce VRAM. MSAA off. I have:

HPET set off 

Game mode disabled

No device hotplug enabled in Autoexec.cfg

GameDVR is disabled

I am using VR shaders Mod

Running DCS off of an SSD

Any ideas what is causing the stutters at 45FPS?

Specs: 8700k @5GHz, 32GB DDR 3200MHz RAM, GTX1080, SSD.

PD 1.0 is the only setting in VR.

Syria is not for VR pilots right now..... but I have a feeling something is afoot with ED regarding the graphics engine in the next 2 months.

Its a feeling I am getting in my waters. 

Edited by Rogue Trooper
  • Like 1

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I had a similar issue when upgrading to RTX 2080ti, guess what, the Gigabyte RGB fusion software to control LEDs and fan, caused flickering. I just uninstalled it, after asking for advice on DCS VR FB group.
Check it out in case you have it.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2021 at 1:57 PM, Rogue Trooper said:

PD 1.0 is the only setting in VR.

Syria is not for VR pilots right now..... but I have a feeling something is afoot with ED regarding the graphics engine in the next 2 months.

Its a feeling I am getting in my waters. 

Hi,

I think they are going to Vulcan, heard that from an insider that that's the upcoming engine change.

Just wanted to say, same problem here. With any reasonably good looking settings, likes to peak right around 45fps although I use PD 1.0. This is with reprojection turned off. it always stutters randomly when I bank and look out the side of the cockpit. I have tried absolutely everything I have found except modding DCS. Also, even in the 'bursts of smoothness' between stutters, if I bank at just the right rate I see doubling of features in the terrain. HP Reverb G2 set to 90Hz.

Specs: Xeon W-10885 up to 5.3GHz, 128GB, 1TB Samsung 980Pro SSD, RTX3090 eGPU

[Maximus XIII Hero] [i9-11900K (5.5Ghz)] [RTX3090] [128GB G.Skill @3800Mhz] [Samsung 980Pro] [Index/G2/8K+/8KX/VP2]

18 minutes ago, PicklePicklePickle said:

Just wanted to say, same problem here. With any reasonably good looking settings, likes to peak right around 45fps although I use PD 1.0. This is with reprojection turned off. it always stutters randomly when I bank and look out the side of the cockpit. I have tried absolutely everything I have found except modding DCS. Also, even in the 'bursts of smoothness' between stutters, if I bank at just the right rate I see doubling of features in the terrain. HP Reverb G2 set to 90Hz.

Specs: Xeon W-10885 up to 5.3GHz, 128GB, 1TB Samsung 980Pro SSD, RTX3090 eGPU

Have you tried enabling motion smoothing?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

19 minutes ago, Mustang said:

This might help out

Been there, done that. 🙂 Made no difference in my system, but thanks for pointing it out.

I have tried enabling motion smoothing(I believe = SteamVR's reprojection) but it just seems to add new 'wavy' artifacts on top of the existing stutters/ghosting, so overall worse experience.

[Maximus XIII Hero] [i9-11900K (5.5Ghz)] [RTX3090] [128GB G.Skill @3800Mhz] [Samsung 980Pro] [Index/G2/8K+/8KX/VP2]

12 hours ago, PicklePicklePickle said:

Been there, done that. 🙂 Made no difference in my system, but thanks for pointing it out.

I have tried enabling motion smoothing(I believe = SteamVR's reprojection) but it just seems to add new 'wavy' artifacts on top of the existing stutters/ghosting, so overall worse experience.

On the other hand I know a friend who has a G2 that recently applied this PreallocateVirtualMonitors adjustment and gained a decent framerate increase, that's the nature of PCs not all are the same.

13 hours ago, PicklePicklePickle said:

I thought the same thing the first time I switched it on out of curiosity.  The "wavy" effect was very off putting, I seriously thought I was breaking something.

I revisited it a couple months ago and just went with it. At first I was just happy the jitters while banking were gone. 

Now I don't even notice it anymore, I think it actually has lessened now that my GPU has gotten used to. Almost like it's learned to adjust.

I am also using a Vive Cosmos elite and while SteamVR motion smoothing has no effect, they have their own version called motion compensation.

--Arthur C Clark

One thing that has helped me out a great deal with stutters is setting up a dedicated server and running missions through it on the same PC. Somehow it splits the workload for the CPU I'm guessing and cuts out 80% of stutters for me. It really has been a game changer for me.

I9-9900KS OC 5.2, Asus Maximus XI Hero, MSI RTX 4090 , EVGA 1200W P2 power supply, 2TB M.2 SSD, 64GB ram@3200mhz, Corsair H115i Pro AIO, Samsung Odyssey+, Reverb G2, Quest 3(new)

Just now, timcat said:

One thing that has helped me out a great deal with stutters is setting up a dedicated server and running missions through it on the same PC. Somehow it splits the workload for the CPU I'm guessing and cuts out 80% of stutters for me. It really has been a game changer for me.

Interesting. Now that you mention it, I get really smooth play on my dedicated server too.

Is there a way to run/play the "Instant Action", training and other paid campaigns on the server ?

--Arthur C Clark

I have never tried to run instant action missions. I run single player "Liberation" missions and they run just fine. I would think any single player mission would run ok.

I9-9900KS OC 5.2, Asus Maximus XI Hero, MSI RTX 4090 , EVGA 1200W P2 power supply, 2TB M.2 SSD, 64GB ram@3200mhz, Corsair H115i Pro AIO, Samsung Odyssey+, Reverb G2, Quest 3(new)

16 minutes ago, timcat said:

I have never tried to run instant action missions. I run single player "Liberation" missions and they run just fine. I would think any single player mission would run ok.

SO is it as simple as playing through one of them on local PC, saving the .miz file to the server, or is it more involved process?

I have read posts mentioning you would have to repurchase campaigns and modules.

--Arthur C Clark

In the server ui, i just add the mission file I want to run. Hit the "run" button, then go to multiplayer menu, search for my server and Join. Choose a slot and enjoy. 

Now, of course you have to start the server first in order to run the mission. 

When i installed the server i didn't add any modules or anything like that. I just installed it and gave the server a name and password, unclicked public and made sure i ran it as administrator....and it worked. I don't have any paid campaigns so I don't know how to go about running those. I would think you just add the miz files to the list and run them sequentially? 

On 1/14/2021 at 3:03 PM, Revs said:

I have read somewhere Nvidia has issues with new drivers, has something to do with fps monitoring. So i just close gpu tweaker, nvidia experience, and even dcs fps display. I also choose Best performance in Windows System advance properties(makes browser letters looks crapy)and half core cpu affinity to DCS and other half to VR processes(hololens...something). Best thing is, I also can forget about the fps and enjoy the sim.

https://uk.download.nvidia.com/Windows/461.40/461.40-win10-win8-win7-release-notes.pdf

Just noticed that nvidia has moved out of the hotfix (461.33) to a full release (461.40) today

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/429825/geforce-46140-game-ready-driver-feedback-thread-re/

Regards,

Paul "Dodge / LondonLad"

SYSTEM SPECS: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x , 64GB 3600MHz RAM, ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming, NVIDIA RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6, IIYAMA 34" Curved GB3466WQSU Monitor, Thrustmaster Warthog (Joystick (Backup) + Throttles),VPC WarBRD-D Base,VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VPC ACE Interceptor Pedals, VKB Pedals (v4) (backup)  + TM MFD w/CUBESIM (x2), PointCTRL, HP Reverb G2 VR  Headset & Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset + TrackIR

Group: DCAF