Adding drop tank art to Last Ride livery?

T-O-A

Ahoi 🙂

Now where we getting some little hog as drop tank art for the Red Rippers livery,

I would like to ask if it would be possible to add the Jolly Rogers art to the "last Ride" livery drop tank?

grafik.png

grafik.png

In the game we have the Last Ride livery with modex 201.

I searched and searched for picrures of their last cruise, but couldn't find a picture or any information for the 201.

There was a 201 in the 90s but I think not at the Final Cruise.

Those were the modex I found for last Cruise:

101, 102, 104, 105, 107, 110, 111, 112

There was also a 100 and a 103, but they were both HiViz.

It seems that there also was no "S" or "Mutha" written on the tails. On the place it was written, the black looks a bit darker and fresher.

Looks like they overpainted the "mutha" and "S" for some reason.

Does somebody knows when this was overpainted?

Was the "mutha" and "s" presented maybe only at the beginning of their last ride deployment?

Im not 100% sure.

But they added some new "last Ride" art to the Nose.

On the Starboard-side they have a Grumman Ironworks 30th Anniversary logo:

grafik.png

On the port-side there is a little black jolly Roger skull like seen on the pictures of the 101 and 112 above.

But I found also some pictures without those Nose art.

So maybe it was painted on the end of the deployment to the noses?

Again I am not 100% sure about this.

Can any Tomcat historian double check this?

Thanks for taking a look.

Edited by T-O-A

If we go this much detail, we shouldnt forget about the "USS John F. Kennedy" on the shoulders.

About the "mutha" and the "S", both logos were correct on the tails for the last ride livery in 2004.

The 30th Anniversary logos on the nose came at the end of 2004 with removal of the "mutha" and "s" on the tail.

Here is a picture of January 2004 with "S" and "mutha". So both logos were correct on the tail.

grafik.png

grafik.png

https://www.airfighters.com/photosearch.php?cra=980

But I totally agree on the following points:

• Drop Tank Art
  • Correct Modex (1XX, maybe 112 like on the picture above)
  • "USS John F. Kennedy" on the shoulders

Thanks for taking a look.

Edited by CanopyJettison

VF-103 was using the 100-series modex from ~1997 onwards. The only time they ever wore bones and used the 200s was for one cruise in 1996 right after they got hijacked and were no longer the Sluggers.

They looked like this back then.

photo_9999_240490.jpg

I consider this skin to be an anomaly for Heatblur's F-14B. It looks pretty good, but there is more wrong with it than the others. Typically I only use it for target practice. 

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

Hey @Swordsman422 ,

Thanks a ton for your double checking and your confirmation.

So for their "last Ride" livery they definitly need a 1XX modex.

I think I found something else which is a bit more obvious, and I am surprised that no one of the community has spotted this earlier.

I am talking about the Skull logo itself.

Yes, @T-O-A found out it is/was mirrored, but I think in real life they used a different skull.

Just look at it in real live and compare it to the DCS livery (for both HiVis and Last Ride skin)

Our DCS skins: (please ignore the mirroring for now, I think @ensamvarg is already working on this)

grafik.png

Real Life: (picture from I think the 2002 deployment on the Washington but logo stays the same for 2004 last Ride)

grafik.png

Real life: (picture from I think 2004 last ride)

grafik.png

The DCS skins is WAY to much detailed with fine shadow lines and so on.

In Real life the shadow lines are more rough, less detailed and thick.

Same for our VF-103 Ingame livery from the 2002 Washington deployment.

grafik.png

Please also double check.

Thanks

Edited by CanopyJettison

Did a bit of research of tail pictures and I think youre right.

isoko did a livery for 2000 cruise with the correct skull.

grafik.png

Please, HB, please to get the correct skull too.

Needed for the "Last Ride" Livery:

• 1XX Modex
  • "USS John F. Kennedy" on the shoulders
  • Fuel Tank Art
  • Correct Jolly Rogers Skull on tail

Needed for HiViz livery:

• Correct Jolly Rogers Skull on tail

I think at the moment ensamvarg is working on both skins, due to some graphic half-side-black-issues.

So maybe while touching them anyway, those points could be updated too.

THX

Edited by T-O-A
  • Like 1

I've enjoyed Isoko's for single player, though usually use Last Ride on MP.  On AO, usually like the CAG plane. 

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

There's some fixes/additions in the model pipeline that should happen first, but the skin fixes are definitely in the pipe/being tracked so to speak. Stuff like removing the D model bits that were added, fixes to some of the NACA ducts and panel lines, and adding the missing ALQ-126 jammers. Those are going to mean reworking each default skin in the sim because the changes impact both the A and the B. I think as Cobra and IronMike have already mentioned elsewhere the Forrestal is the current big push in terms of art resources, and I think the external models and new pilot were somewhere after that in priority.

It's one of those things where the time spent making the fixes would have to be re-done because the base textures may change, meaning they'd have to yet again be addressed when the aforementioned stuff drops. Most if not all of the B skins will need the HGU-55 helmets with new accurate tape jobs as well. A few skins need the BuNOs fixed, and some minor tweaks to stencils and stuff made. In the cases of the tails, the base textures of the leading edge reinforcements are on the list to be corrected too, so again that would be something that would be done twice.

--

My *personal* opinion is that the Last Ride skins are somewhat outside the era/config presented in the B model's module, and that JR skins closer to 96-98 would make more sense (even though those jets had the PTIDs for the LANTIRN, but they didn't have the later HUD and GPS upgrades). Many of the existing B model skins were from the Gulf War through later 90s.

BUT hey, I'm not in charge and the skins are probably way too popular to straight up remove at this point, so the corrections will come, probably with some of the aforementioned enhancements to the visual model.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]