GPU - FPS big thread

chnapo

Hello all! I would like to start a big thread where we all can compare ingame FPS. The reason behind this is that I would like to get a GPU for DCS World and there are few tests on the internet. I figured out that someone else may have the same issue. So let´s normalise some settings and everyone is welcome to contribute. Settings should be set so that the CPU is not the bottleneck and obviously we all should use the same settings. Let me suggest (see photo) and testing is the basic free flight with SU25T at Mineralnye Vody, keep bearing and altitude and just share your setup and FPS.

My setup:
Ryzen 3 3100

2x16GB DDR4 3600 MHz

GTX 1080 Ti Zotac AMP Extreme 11GB with +200 MHz memory OC

FPS were between 86-89

IMG_20210114_171558.jpg

Edited by chnapo
better wording

Ryzen 3 3100 @ 4.2 GHz (temporarily, until Ryzen 5 5600 non-X is available)

B550 DS3H

2x16GB DDR4 3600 MHz CL16 Trident Z Neo
Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti 11GB

Xiaomi 34" 3440x1440 144Hz curved gaming monitor

• chnapo changed the title to GPU - FPS big thread
5 hours ago, Bobik2002 said:

I just test it, i´ve had about 70-77 FPS at your setting.

My specs:

CPU AMD R7 3800x

RAM 2x16 Gskill 3600 CL16

dcs on M2

GPU GTX 1080ti From Gigabyte

Thank you for your data! Did you set it just like I did? Because that is quite significant FPS difference given that we have the same GPU, just different brand!

• Like 1

B550 DS3H

2 minutes ago, chnapo said:

Thank you for your data! Did you set it just like I did? Because that is quite significant FPS difference given that we have the same GPU, just different brand!

Yeah I did.

Vysoká = High

Extrémní = extreme

Výchozí = default...

I will test it again tomorrow.

Screen_210115_102207.jpg

• Thanks 1

Ryzen 9 5900x | 32GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | 32GB RAM 

Had some spare time on my hands so... 68-75 with exact same settings.

If i look to the right while in flight (same direction), it goes up to 110.

Specs (for those who don't have view signatures active):

i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz,  ASUS Strix 1080Ti OC 11GB, 32 GB DDR3 G.Skill 2400

Edited by Lange_666
specs added
  • Thanks 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

xzYO2jy.jpg

With my pc everything at the maximum default it works for me at 1080p resolution at 60 fps like butter in the air but when you are on the ground especially in Nevada both on a ramp or flying over Las Vegas it blocks at 30 fps and fluctuates (very annoying) with the configuration of the screenshot works at 60 fps with slight dips at 58/59 fps, I have not tried other configurations, if you have suggestions, let us know.

in case someone is useful or has a similar pc or like mine

MY PC:

i7-4770k

GTX 1060 6GB

16RAM

SSD 250 GB

Edited by Raytheon
  • Thanks 1

My PC:

i7-4770k

GTX 1060 6Gb

SSD 500 GB

16 RAM

[sIGPIC]https://store.carrierbuilders.net/images/F-18SE-002.jpg[/sIGPIC]

5 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

Had some spare time on my hands so... 68-75 with exact same settings.

Specs in signature.

I am sorry but I really can´t see your signature

B550 DS3H

13 minutes ago, chnapo said:

I have put it in the description of the message, but I also put it here

i7-4770k

Gtx 1060 6GB

16RAM

250Gb SSD

Edited by Raytheon

My PC:

i7-4770k

GTX 1060 6Gb

SSD 500 GB

16 RAM

I thought I would try this on my low spec computer.

CPU: i7-2600K 3.4GHz ( overclocked to 4.4GHz )

MB: MSI P67A-GD65 (B3)

RAM: 32GB DDR3-1600 Corsair

GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 3GB (overclocked)

HD: 2TB of SSD space

Monitor: Samsung 27-Inch (2560 x 1440) 144Hz 4ms Curved Gaming

--------

FPS 37-40

forum_FPS-1.png

Edited by Ozmandi
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Erich Alfred Hartmann said:

I have put it in the description of the message, but I also put it here

i7-4770k

Gtx 1060 6GB

16RAM

250Gb SSD

bro, that wasn´t for you, but for Lange_666

B550 DS3H

9 hours ago, chnapo said:

Specs added

To see signatures, change your account settings (then you don't have to type your specs each time someones ask for it)

Edited by Lange_666
  • Thanks 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

• 2 weeks later...

So, after upgrade to RTX 2080Ti my FPS increased to 126-130 (doing this test).

B550 DS3H

Hello all! I would like to start a big thread where we all can compare ingame FPS. The reason behind this is that I would like to get a GPU for DCS World and there are few tests on the internet. I figured out that someone else may have the same issue. So let´s normalise some settings and everyone is welcome to contribute. Settings should be set so that the CPU is not the bottleneck and obviously we all should use the same settings. Let me suggest (see photo) and testing is the basic free flight with SU25T at Mineralnye Vody, keep bearing and altitude and just share your setup and FPS.

My setup:
Ryzen 3 3100
2x16GB DDR4 3600 MHz
GTX 1080 Ti Zotac AMP Extreme 11GB with +200 MHz memory OC

FPS were between 86-89

IMG_20210114_171558.thumb.jpg.0e0b5a196fa5d743c55c14e0241546d1.jpg

It is a good idea....
But in order to have comparable results we should use not only the same settings, but also the same mission doing exactly the same thing.
We need also to have software which records fps and frametime on a file.
As for the software FRAPS can easily do this, about the missions, someone made it both for CPU and GPU testing cases:

(https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3309507/)

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Same settings as above but on my new computer.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

MB: ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS

RAM: 64GB DDR4 3200 Corsair VENGEANCE LPX

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 EAGLE OC 10GB

HD: 2TB of SSD space

Monitor: Samsung 27-Inch (2560 x 1440) 144Hz 4ms Curved Gaming

--------

FPS 130

interestingly, it jumps up to 150 when  the mirrors are disabled ( it doesn't change that much using my own settings )

8 hours ago, VirusAM said:

It is a good idea....
But in order to have comparable results we should use not only the same settings, but also the same mission doing exactly the same thing.
We need also to have software which records fps and frametime on a file.
As for the software FRAPS can easily do this, about the missions, someone made it both for CPU and GPU testing cases:

(https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3309507/)

"testing is the basic free flight with SU25T at Mineralnye Vody, keep bearing and altitude and just share your setup and FPS" (my original post). I wanted something fast and simple. But if there is some better testing already done, of course thanks for the link.

• Like 1

B550 DS3H

Ryzen 9 5900x 12 core

X570 mb

32gb 3600mhz 

1TB SSD

MSI Geforce 3070

Framrates reported by Nvidia overlay, lateest nvidia driver, latest version DCS open Beta

4k, with exported screens 90+ FPS - display is 120hz but not working at the moment.

refresh@ 60hz

1440p frame rates are 150+

On stock Nvidia panel settings, frame rate seemed locked to 65

To increase the framerates I had to:

force FXAA on

Set MAX FRAME RATE to any high number (I set to 190)

POWER MANGEMENT - Prefer maximum performance

Preferred refresh rate - application controlled

Background max refresh rate - 20 (not sure if this did anything)

G-sync off

System settings

Turn off all power management for USB (device manager and power management menu)

Set TrackIR to high priority in task manager

DCS settings

V sync off

fulllscreen ON

settingsDCS.jpg

Framesproof.jpg

Nvidiaworkingpage1.2.2.jpg

Edited by JIGGAwest
add info

5 hours ago, JIGGAwest said:

4k, with exported screens 90+ FPS - display is 120hz but not working at the moment.

refresh@ 60hz

If your monitor can do 4k, you will be limited by the amount of VRAM on your 3070 (8GB correct?).  At 4k you do not need MSAA or Anisotropic filtering.  Make sure you are on a displayport cable and your monitor has displayport 1.2 or 1.4 enabled.  You don't need vsync with your card, so let it go as fast as it can.  FXAA is a "post-processing" AA that Nvidia can add AFTER rendering for games that don't have AA.  Note that I have turned off all AA in my settings.  Unless you are really fussy about screenshots, FXAA does not add much, and since it's post processing you need to use Alt-Prntscrn to capture the affect.  I would turn that off at 4k too.

During missions you want to make sure that our card does NOT use any Shared GPU memory.  Performance suffers greatly when the card starts copying shaders from Shared GPU memory to Dedicated GPU memory.  You can see this in the Task Manager Performance tab when you click on your GPU.  The best way to lower VRAM usage is to lower Terrain Textures to LOW and to limit the number of units in the mission such as the supercarrier group.  Caucasus can easily use over 8GB of VRAM causing most cards to have issues.  Persian Gulf uses more, and Syria uses over 11GB of VRAM with these settings.  I have 11GB of VRAM on my 1080Ti, so I don't fly Syria unless I turn Terrain textures to LOW.  I don't fly the WWII maps much.

I am not concerned with having the highest FPS with these settings.  These settings look the best AND are butter smooth all the time on my rig.  Give them a try. YMMV.

my settings.png

NVCP1.png

NVCP2.png

NVCP3.png

5 hours ago, glide said:

If your monitor can do 4k, you will be limited by the amount of VRAM on your 3070 (8GB correct?).  At 4k you do not need MSAA or Anisotropic filtering.  Make sure you are on a displayport cable and your monitor has displayport 1.2 or 1.4 enabled.  You don't need vsync with your card, so let it go as fast as it can.  FXAA is a "post-processing" AA that Nvidia can add AFTER rendering for games that don't have AA.  Note that I have turned off all AA in my settings.  Unless you are really fussy about screenshots, FXAA does not add much, and since it's post processing you need to use Alt-Prntscrn to capture the affect.  I would turn that off at 4k too.

During missions you want to make sure that our card does NOT use any Shared GPU memory.  Performance suffers greatly when the card starts copying shaders from Shared GPU memory to Dedicated GPU memory.  You can see this in the Task Manager Performance tab when you click on your GPU.  The best way to lower VRAM usage is to lower Terrain Textures to LOW and to limit the number of units in the mission such as the supercarrier group.  Caucasus can easily use over 8GB of VRAM causing most cards to have issues.  Persian Gulf uses more, and Syria uses over 11GB of VRAM with these settings.  I have 11GB of VRAM on my 1080Ti, so I don't fly Syria unless I turn Terrain textures to LOW.  I don't fly the WWII maps much.

I am not concerned with having the highest FPS with these settings.  These settings look the best AND are butter smooth all the time on my rig.  Give them a try. YMMV.

my settings.png

NVCP1.png

NVCP2.png

NVCP3.png

This is on a large screen tv with HDMI 2.1

I will give your suggestions a shot and see how the smoothness is for my setup. 

Thanks for the heads up. I randomly came to theses settings by trail and error and trying settings I've seen in other guides. Ultimately, Wanted to report my experiences.

UPDATE: 

I tried the settings you have, but it hit my frame rate if I didn't keep the max frame rate setting high.

But with what you reccomended and and the frame rate setting, I'm much higher than before

Framesupdateproof.jpg

NewNvidiasettings2.2.jpg

DSCsettingsnew2.2.jpg

Edited by JIGGAwest
update
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, glide said:

I get it.  Tuning DCS is an art.

Until they optimize it, little will be able to be done, in my case I get 60 fps in the air but sometimes it has fps drops when you leave the map and return to the cockpit, it stays anchored at 30 fps, or on the ground, where direct your view, then if you move the cockpit view it stabilizes at 60 fps, that is to say that it is poorly optimized, I hope that with vulkan these small fps drops will be solved, and my pc is not a nasa computer but with dcs a 1080p resolution can spare, if not directly the simulator would not work well

• Like 2

My PC:

i7-4770k

GTX 1060 6Gb

SSD 500 GB

16 RAM

21 hours ago, JIGGAwest said:

I tried the settings you have, but it hit my frame rate if I didn't keep the max frame rate setting high.

What is Background Application Max Refresh Rate?  Also, is that screen of yours Fixed Refresh?  If so, what's the refresh rate?  My monitor claims it can do 144hz, and I can get 120fps easily by turning off Terrain Shadows. It's definitely not consistent, but as long as it's above 60fps I never notice any glitches as long as I keep my VRAM below the Shared GPU threshold.

Have you tried playing with Low Latency Mode?  Your newer card may use this feature better than my 1080ti.  I would try turning off Background Application Refresh Rate and Max Frame Rate while Testing Low Latency Mode ON and ULTRA.  I noticed my card did not work as hard with ULTRA in Task Manager, but otherwise I did not see an improvement.  YMMV.

@Erich Alfred Hartmann Yes, there are plenty of improvements that can come to the engine with Vulcan (multiple light sources, muzzle flashes, etc.), and I think there's some shader tuning that needs to be done.  I can get it running very nicely at 4k with 11GB of VRAM on my 1080Ti.  I hope these hardware shortages end soon so we can all jump up to 16 GB of VRAM without breaking the bank.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, glide said:

What is Background Application Max Refresh Rate?  Also, is that screen of yours Fixed Refresh?  If so, what's the refresh rate?  My monitor claims it can do 144hz, and I can get 120fps easily by turning off Terrain Shadows. It's definitely not consistent, but as long as it's above 60fps I never notice any glitches as long as I keep my VRAM below the Shared GPU threshold.

Have you tried playing with Low Latency Mode?  Your newer card may use this feature better than my 1080ti.  I would try turning off Background Application Refresh Rate and Max Frame Rate while Testing Low Latency Mode ON and ULTRA.  I noticed my card did not work as hard with ULTRA in Task Manager, but otherwise I did not see an improvement.  YMMV.

@Erich Alfred Hartmann Yes, there are plenty of improvements that can come to the engine with Vulcan (multiple light sources, muzzle flashes, etc.), and I think there's some shader tuning that needs to be done.  I can get it running very nicely at 4k with 11GB of VRAM on my 1080Ti.  I hope these hardware shortages end soon so we can all jump up to 16 GB of VRAM without breaking the bank.

I'm not positive about Max Background refresh actually does. But, I do run TrackIR in the background and I didn't want any GPU resources spent on this native application or any other application while I'm playing DCS. So I set it low just in case.

Vizio P75QXH1 My screen is supposedly HDMI VRR compatible and is Freesync premium 120hz. Not certified G-SYNC, but is supposed to be compatible, although reported by others not working or implemented yet. There is also a compatibility issue with the RTX cards and this panel for 4k 120hz ports. I can get it to work but it take much fiddling and reseting.

I have not tried low latency mode. But I'm happy with 115-150 FPS @4K. Did you want me to test this and report back?

8 minutes ago, JIGGAwest said:

Did you want me to test this and report back?

No, you have great performance.  I was going to suggest using the Programs tab and setting the 3D settings specifically for Black Shark DCS.exe.  This way you can reset your Global defaults without impacting your game settings.  The control panel should filter out the settings that don't affect DCS.  Thanks for sharing your setup.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Erich Alfred Hartmann said:

Until they optimize it, little will be able to be done, in my case I get 60 fps in the air but sometimes it has fps drops when you leave the map and return to the cockpit, it stays anchored at 30 fps, or on the ground, where direct your view, then if you move the cockpit view it stabilizes at 60 fps, that is to say that it is poorly optimized, I hope that with vulkan these small fps drops will be solved, and my pc is not a nasa computer but with dcs a 1080p resolution can spare, if not directly the simulator would not work well

My PC:

i7-4770k

GTX 1060 6Gb

SSD 500 GB

16 RAM

No offense brother, you need to look up a very important concept called Moore's law. Your CPU is almost 8 years old and your CPU is a mid range card from almost 5 years ago. That's a long time in computer time. DCS devs shouldn't be obligated to "optimize" for people who don't upgrade their computers.

Just to keep things in perspective, A new XBOX or Playstation 5 has more graphics processing power than your rig. I'm not sure how much a Vulkan based graphics engine is going to help you. The readme file has really good tuning guide. Try turning down visib range and shadows. The "medium" preset would probably work well. 

For DCS you want the fastest single core performance you can get your hands on and afford. For Intel that's 7700K or bettter and for AMD you want one of the new ones a 5600x or better. 

Graphics card I'd recommend a 3060 Ti or better