GPU - FPS big thread

chnapo

52 minutes ago, Sn8ke_iis said:

My PC:

i7-4770k

GTX 1060 6Gb

SSD 500 GB

16 RAM

No offense brother, you need to look up a very important concept called Moore's law. Your CPU is almost 8 years old and your CPU is a mid range card from almost 5 years ago. That's a long time in computer time. DCS devs shouldn't be obligated to "optimize" for people who don't upgrade their computers.

Just to keep things in perspective, A new XBOX or Playstation 5 has more graphics processing power than your rig. I'm not sure how much a Vulkan based graphics engine is going to help you. The readme file has really good tuning guide. Try turning down visib range and shadows. The "medium" preset would probably work well. 

For DCS you want the fastest single core performance you can get your hands on and afford. For Intel that's 7700K or bettter and for AMD you want one of the new ones a 5600x or better. 

Graphics card I'd recommend a 3060 Ti or better

What I am not going to do is buy a new pc, for 1500,2000 / 3000 euros for a single game, have you read my other messages? Let me explain, I play at 1080 and the simulator / game works for me at 60 fps at all times, what happens and many people with much more powerful computers are random fps drops when looking at a specific point.

My pc moves well optimized software to 1080p at 60 fps without problems, the problem is not the machine, that is due to lack of optimization, in FSX for example it did not matter if it had a GTX titan, at most it works at 30 fps.

What I'm going to do, if after applying vulkan the 60 fps at 1080p resolution does not remain at a stable 60 fps, maybe I would consider buying a new PC and I would not hesitate to spend such an amount of money but not for now, and I think that people have performance problems on all kinds of more powerful and less powerful PCs.

what I'm going to, you can't say ... it's not going well? change pc, no, the fault lies with the devs who have not focused on optimizing, I do not have to change the machine, I repeat, if after vulkan the performance is the same, if I will consider changing the machine.

Do you know why many people are poor? not because of having little money, it is because of poor economic decisions

I mean all this in a good way.

peace and love

My PC:

i7-4770k

GTX 1060 6Gb

SSD 500 GB

16 RAM

[sIGPIC]https://store.carrierbuilders.net/images/F-18SE-002.jpg[/sIGPIC]

8 hours ago, Sn8ke_iis said:

For DCS you want the fastest single core performance you can get your hands on and afford.

Actually, the CPU is not as important as the amount of VRAM you have.  Get as much VRAM as you can afford.  The future of this sim is VRAM.  The deferred shading strategy allows more meshes and larges meshes, and we can expect this will grow.  If you have 32GB of RAM a simple video card upgrade with 16GB or more of VRAM should last for years.  Flight sims push the envelope for hardware.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, glide said:

Actually, the CPU is not as important as the amount of VRAM you have.  Get as much VRAM as you can afford.  The future of this sim is VRAM.  The deferred shading strategy allows more meshes and larges meshes, and we can expect this will grow.  If you have 32GB of RAM a simple video card upgrade with 16GB or more of VRAM should last for years.  Flight sims push the envelope for hardware.

For DCS the single core performance of your CPU will limit numbers of AI, visib range, and shadows for example. VRAM is mainly for textures and antialiasing. It's not going to be a noticeable limiting factor for most people. 

Now if you are playing in VR, VRAM will be more important (why I bought a graphics card with 24GB of VRAM with a wide bus and bandwidth) but you'll still be more likely to notice a single core botteneck and stuttering from a bad CPU choice.  

7 hours ago, Sn8ke_iis said:

notice a single core botteneck

Sorry, I can't agree with that statement.  Is anyone still running single core CPU's these days?  Have you tried forcing DCS to use one core?   Maybe we should start a poll to see who's running the oldest hardware.  Perhaps I am misunderstanding.

My point is that as long as your CPU can get you 60pfs you are fine (2d), but if you only have 2GB of VRAM you will be very unhappy with performance.  Right now there is an issue with the way cards swap VRAM between Shared GPU memory and Dedicated GPU memory.  If you have enough VRAM such that your card NEVER starts using Shared GPU memory, you can turn up the quality settings and fly all day long with out a single stutter.  As soon as DCS starts using Shared GPU memory things get choppy.  The CPU has nothing to do with this.

Edited by glide
clarity
  • Like 1

BTW, the memory swapping issue is controlled by the Windows memory manager, not the driver or DCS according to Nvidia and the interwebs.  It's just a result of the growth of flight sims.  I'll be jumping to at least 16GB VRAM as soon as I can.  

Edited by glide
  • Like 1