Delayed-fuse bombs

Vander

• Vander changed the title to Delayed-fuse bombs

Folks,

This is a very informative book: Royal Air Force 1939-1945 Vol III The Fight Is Won by Hilary St.George Saunders: Good (1954) | World of Rare Books (abebooks.co.uk)

Published by Her Majesty's Stationary Office in 1954, it gives some great information, including Mosquito timed bomb delay fuses for missions including 10 and 11-second delay and also 30-second delay fused bombs. 

Page 150 explains how for some targets "preliminary tests with instantaneously fused bombs dropped from a height of 2,000 ft gave no results.  It proved necessary , therefore, to descend to tree-top level and throw the bomb into the main building..."

Page 151 explains how eight to ten Mosquito aircraft attacked targets "flying in pairs, the first armed with 30-second delay fused bombs, the remainder with 10 second."

Therefore, I certainly suggest that we need the ability to adjust our Mosquito bomb delay timed fuses from zero to at least 30-seconds.

Happy landings,

Talisman

P.S.  Volumes I and II of the above book are also a very good read.

Edited by Talisman_VR
add P.S.
  • Like 7

Bell_UH-1 side.png

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Given the state of the FW 190 A-8, it seems highly unlikely that the DH.98 Mosquito will have delayed fuse bombs either. This has been something that used to work for the Luftwaffe aircraft (the Dora had it in the early days), however it was broken/removed. The other Allied aircraft have been desperate for delayed fuses for ages now. Even if ED claims to be "working on it" or that it will be "implemented after EA", I regard this with a high-degree of skepticism. This was precisely the rhetoric that we had for the cluster munitions for the Anton.

I think the safe assumption is that if the Mosquito is released (2022? 2023?), that it will no have delayed fuse bombs.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, xvii-Dietrich said:

Given the state of the FW 190 A-8, it seems highly unlikely that the DH.98 Mosquito will have delayed fuse bombs either. This has been something that used to work for the Luftwaffe aircraft (the Dora had it in the early days), however it was broken/removed. The other Allied aircraft have been desperate for delayed fuses for ages now. Even if ED claims to be "working on it" or that it will be "implemented after EA", I regard this with a high-degree of skepticism. This was precisely the rhetoric that we had for the cluster munitions for the Anton.

I think the safe assumption is that if the Mosquito is released (2022? 2023?), that it will no have delayed fuse bombs.

Indeed. ED seem to not have an interest in delayed fusing for the Luftwaffe bombs, or the Allied GP bombs.
There's no reason to believe from what we have received as customers over the past year or so, that any kind of delayed fusing is going to be delivered.

• Like 9

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

I guess ED are working in the basis that many pilots will want to use the 20mm cannons and RPs…?

But agree with all above ^^

I’m sure all of us on this sub are looking forward to replicating the Mosquito’s low level strike missions

(out of interest - were fuse delays set on the ground by the armorers, of could they be adjusted when airborne?)

• Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 8:37 AM, xvii-Dietrich said:

If no delayed fuse bombs then no purchase from me.  Lucky there is competition and I will get delayed fuse bombs with another developer that is interested in meeting customer expectations for historical delayed fuse bombs.

For a long time now I have stopped purchasing DCS stuff as, to be honest, I have not felt very valued as a customer because of issues like this, amongst others.  I still keep dipping my toe in and reading the forums hoping that things will change though.  I like to support flight sim developers but sometimes one has to draw a line somewhere.  Wish I did not feel that I have to say this.  I understand your scepticism, but I am standing by with optimism and hoping I won't have wasted my high hopes, again. 

Happy landings,

Talisman

• Like 7

Bell_UH-1 side.png

• 1 month later...

Why this is even a problem in DCS? Even old or very simplified sims had this implemented. ED has some true magicians in their coding department, they are implementing grossly more complicated things than time delay fuse, i doubt this would be a problem for them.

Edited by kseremak
  • Like 1

Given that the E.D. Mosquito has no bomb sight, we are left with no option but low level strikes. All the iconic raids by Mosquito are low level. Anything under 1,000ft. will destroy you unless detonation is delayed. It's so obvious that this aircraft needs delayed detonation bombs that posts such as this and the above should not be necessary.

Kseremak's above comment is right - what is the big problem, E.D.? You should easily be able to give us delays for all WWII iron bombs with several different delays available: e.g. 1 to 15 secs. If this is too hard for you, the (clumsier) alternative is to write a specific trigger action for WWII bombs using a Flag delay, EXAMPLE: Condition: Drop (specified) bomb, Action: Flag1 On, Condition: Time since Flag1: 8 secs.,: Action: Detonate (specified) bomb.

Selling the Mozzie without Bombsight or Delayed Det. bombs is like selling a racehorse with only 3 legs.

Edited by michelip
  • Like 2

I love the idea of flying in to a target at only 50 feet like they did to avoid radar but they never dropped a bomb that low. they always pulled up just before the target to any height of 1 to 2 1/2 thousand feet and shallow dive bomb the target and release was done at any time the pilot wished to release and pull out was most always done at no less then 1,000 feet. I hope Very much they add V1 and V2 Bombs to this so we can try our hand a running them down and shooting them out of the sky at 400mph. Very dangerous thing to do  in real life without getting to close to damage your Mosquito from the blast. If you can Bomb at 50 feet and fly off with no damage I'll be very sad.

On 8/15/2021 at 6:55 PM, DishDoggie said:

I love the idea of flying in to a target at only 50 feet like they did to avoid radar but they never dropped a bomb that low. they always pulled up just before the target to any height of 1 to 2 1/2 thousand feet and shallow dive bomb the target and release was done at any time the pilot wished to release and pull out was most always done at no less then 1,000 feet. I hope Very much they add V1 and V2 Bombs to this so we can try our hand a running them down and shooting them out of the sky at 400mph. Very dangerous thing to do  in real life without getting to close to damage your Mosquito from the blast. If you can Bomb at 50 feet and fly off with no damage I'll be very sad.

DishDoggie,

Not sure if you have seen my post above from Jan 22nd, but here it is again.  Tree-top level is easily 50/60 feet in Europe.  You may wish to read up on this and reconsider your post above.  Also, I think by now you will have had time to look at the historical movie posted above by PhoenixFR.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Folks,

This is a very informative book: Royal Air Force 1939-1945 Vol III The Fight Is Won by Hilary St.George Saunders: Good (1954) | World of Rare Books (abebooks.co.uk)

Published by Her Majesty's Stationary Office in 1954, it gives some great information, including Mosquito timed bomb delay fuses for missions including 10 and 11-second delay and also 30-second delay fused bombs. 

Page 150 explains how for some targets "preliminary tests with instantaneously fused bombs dropped from a height of 2,000 ft gave no results.  It proved necessary , therefore, to descend to tree-top level and throw the bomb into the main building..."

Page 151 explains how eight to ten Mosquito aircraft attacked targets "flying in pairs, the first armed with 30-second delay fused bombs, the remainder with 10 second."

Therefore, I certainly suggest that we need the ability to adjust our Mosquito bomb delay timed fuses from zero to at least 30-seconds.

Happy landings,

Talisman

P.S.  Volumes I and II of the above book are also a very good read.

Bell_UH-1 side.png

• 2 weeks later...

I totally agree with what's been stated in the above replies and would like to add to the encouragement to ED to ensure that the Mossie gets delayed fusing for it's ordnance,because as others have pointed out without it it's a pointless module.

The Mosquito was low level fighter/bomber that was it's main role,we all know that,and without delayed fused ordnance the whole dynamic of the module will be lost,it would be just a trophy module in short a farce.

For me no delayed fusing.......no purchase 👎

• Like 5

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sri to be late to the party but since the Mossie appeared I have been blowing myself up with low level shallow dive runs using instantaneous fuses.

Yet (YET!) every source I have read makes it clear the Mossie routinely used time delay fuses, usually 11 seconds. They were used at Amiens and at the Philips plant at Eindhoven. At Copenhagen, one bomb went in the front of the building, out the back and blew up well behind the building because of time delay fuses.

"...it is a core feature and will take time to implement and test." What a lame response! This is a brand new module with a major deal-killing flaw in what was historically a standard feature and it should be fixed immediately.

Please do so!

Edited by HotTom
  • Like 1

Exceptional engineering...and a large hammer to make it fit!