End of support Windows 7

fil72

I don't understand the logic, both products are from the same company, 7 has been discontinued for over a year so it is very vulnerable. In the end it doesn't make a lot of sense to continue to spend resources on supporting an old version of Windows that is a security risk for the user anyway. Many of the early critics of Win10 got what they wanted and can block anything they don't like. I am not sure there is a logical reason to stick with 7 and get rid of all your modules and potential fun in DCS. You do realize that, as time progresses, more and more games/sims will stop support for Win7?

• Like 3

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

I'm amazed at what little it takes to push some people away from DCS .. 🤔

• Like 5

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

3 hours ago, MiG21bisFishbedL said:

It's annoying, but it's an inevitability that Win 7 would get left in the dust one day. I look forward to the baffling stupidity of W10.

Just go for the passive aggressive "limited experience" (sic.) and don't connect Win 10 to a Microsoft account when installing. After installing, disable telemetry (there are plenty of guides on how to do that).

Using Win 7 on a computer connected to the internet a year after Microsoft stopped supporting it is, to put it mildly, not particularly smart from an IT security point of view...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, fil72 said:

This is very bad. I am disappointed. I will never use W10.

I spent $465 for DCS.

Good bye, DCS.

So DCS has to stay within the technological boundaries of Windows 7 and make it a substandard product when all other games are phasing out W7 :rolleyes: Humm, makes a lot of sense !! Also did you not read that there is nothing stopping you playing DCS, it just won't be updated. Sorry but I fail to understand your logic and as stated, if you don't like MS intrusion, there are ways and means of keeping your computer OS private. I moved from W7 to W10 last year and didn't really want to but could see the writing on the wall, it's just life, it moves on and doesn't stay static. What are you going to do, stay with W7 for ever! 

6 hours ago, MiG21bisFishbedL said:

It's annoying, but it's an inevitability that Win 7 would get left in the dust one day. I look forward to the baffling stupidity of W10.

Within a week you won't notice the difference, you get used to W10 really quick. I still prefer W7 but we have to move with the times... if you want to stay up to date that is !

Why not compile DCS on Linux?

2 hours ago, drPhibes said:

Using Win 7 on a computer connected to the internet a year after Microsoft stopped supporting it is, to put it mildly, not particularly smart from an IT security point of view...

Unless is all about user data harvesting business behind. Yep, it takes an expert to deal with that bloatware in W10. Few people are good in that. In old days games used to work just fine without updates and reverse telemetry. Those degrading security of OSs are not regular people but OS manufacturers behind. They just want to have artificial purpose. Its like you want someone to built your home but he allways keeps comming back for some repairs. That what W10 is. W7 was kind of moderate and acceptable in that data harvest frenzy. Thats why those concerned about their safety and privacy are still on it.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, golani79 said:

that DCS doesn´t run on my old Win 3.1

Lol. Reconsider said. W3 was run on DOS6 in a first place. Why running something that runs on something else?

12 minutes ago, toutenglisse said:

maximum to be compatible with as many systems as possible

that is impossible and evelasting task doomed to fail from start. Theres old saying. Dont fix if it aint broken. Next one goes - dont sell broken things, its bad for reputation.

1 hour ago, jackmckay said:

Why not compile DCS on Linux?

Unless is all about user data harvesting business behind. Yep, it takes an expert to deal with that bloatware in W10. 

Yep, I can totally see ED spending resources on porting DCS to Linux, just to capture that extra 2% market share 🙄

No need to be an expert, there are a lot of easy to use utilities to debloat Win10, one of the bests is this one:

https://christitus.com/debloat-windows-10-2020/

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

17 hours ago, Qiou87 said:

I don't understand the logic, both products are from the same company, 7 has been discontinued for over a year so it is very vulnerable. In the end it doesn't make a lot of sense to continue to spend resources on supporting an old version of Windows that is a security risk for the user anyway. Many of the early critics of Win10 got what they wanted and can block anything they don't like. I am not sure there is a logical reason to stick with 7 and get rid of all your modules and potential fun in DCS. You do realize that, as time progresses, more and more games/sims will stop support for Win7?

You're absolutely right in one way, that's why I'm planning to do a thread on helping out Win7 user with Win10 for DCS.

The reason why people don't prefer Win10, is because it's not an improvement, it's a change in a new direction, without alternatives.

One of the reasons is that Win10 it self is actually a security risk, tho, that is an opinion that anyone themselfs can formulate if they wish.

Also, there is a very common focus by the proponents of anything new on whether something is regarded "supported" by the author/manufacturer as if it's some kind of a grand law, such as the fact that MS discontinued update support for Windows 7, now we must follow suit or else?

Let's put this in perspective that will completely shut down this argument at least partialy (security patches in some cases do matter yes):

What about all the retro consoles, games, cars, excavators, tractors, farm equipment, build tools, workshop items, that are all "discontinued", companies no longer even existing, do you throw that out for scrap too ?

Newer doesn't always mean better, certain things are better, other thing are worse, in some cases far worse, as every excavator and machinery operator can tell you, all the new machines with computerized systems are much more annoying than the old machines, even with all the gimmicks and conveniences (indicators, readouts, LCD screens, gadgets, etc), they break down, difficult to troubleshoot and repair.

I would like to make you aware of the big deal sorrounding Right To Repair causes around the world if you haven't been familiar.

https://foodtank.com/news/2021/01/farmers-fight-for-right-to-repair-their-own-equipment/

Skip to 43:46

Edited by Worrazen
  • Like 1

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

36 minutes ago, Worrazen said:

Also, there is a very common focus by the proponents of anything new on whether something is regarded "supported" by the author, such ahs the fact that MS discontinued update support for Windows 7.

Let's put this in perspective that will completely shut down this argument at least partialy (security patches in some cases do matter yes):

What about all the retro consoles, games, cars, excavators, tractors, farm equipment, build tools, workshop items, that are all "discontinued", companies no longer even existing, do you throw that out for scrap too ?

We are talking about a piece of software though, not a machine. Microsoft is not asking anyone to throw away their computer ; Win10 runs on the same hardware that runs Win7 (I'm not just saying that, I've moved a few machines to W10, some with very slow hardware). You are not committing an environmental atrocity when you upgrade to Win10, whilst throwing away a working machine just because it is "not supported" is indeed bad for the environment. Those are two completely different topics.

I understand "fear of something new", but why not stick with DCS 1.5 or 2.5.6 in this case? This way your OS is not updated, your game is not updated, everything stays exactly as it was yesterday. 😀

In the end support for legacy software is a huge, complicated topic. I have seen the same arguments on different games, some moving from DX9 to DX10 or DX11 for example. There are surely benefits to this move. The community is crying for optimization, Vulkan, multithreading... and somehow ED should pull this off whilst maintaining support for 12 year old software?

I applaud your efforts to help transition people to Win10 though. That is a great thing you are doing. 😉

Edited by Qiou87
  • Like 1

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

The joys of flights sims, video games and hobbies in general they cost money.

Keep a "Budget or have a Plan" is my opinion, I have good rig but it wont play DCS anymore, so I either use my Laptop or my old Rig for older sims.

But I have a plan and Budget as I wait for DCS to come out of BETA or at least 1 to 2 year wait for more finished product to come out like Dynamic Campaign, Graphics Engine improvements CPU and GPU optimizations  or just general better core code running better to decide on a new system, then I will be buy it and set it up for at least 10 year build.

I don't think Windows 10 will be around long enough either its crap in my opinion, I think will see something else that is more advanced soonish.

However you can run Ubuntu - Linux - https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/81491-dcs-world-support-linux

And in the News for Jan 2021 here -https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/254461-official-news-2021/

You can still run - DCS World 2.5.6 if you are still keen.

Point is there are some options, DCS is still in development and moving forward thats the gaming world!

We work then we play to have fun! 🧑‍✈️

Edited by WRAITH

DCS FORUM SIG.jpg

18 hours ago, fil72 said:

I spent $465 for DCS.

Good bye, DCS.

What did you do with those eight track tapes, VHS, and floppy disks? Surprise! They don't support Win95/98 either!

@Worrazen

Most of that is irrelevant. Your PC will not suddenly stop working, nor will your DCS installation. You will not be able to receive further updates for your eleven year old OS.

Edited by zhukov032186

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

18 hours ago, fil72 said:

I spent $465 for DCS.

Good bye, DCS.

Seriously, why don't you give Win 95 a try? :wallbash:

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

58 minutes ago, norbot said:

Seriously, why don't you give Win 95 a try? :wallbash:

Some very important hardware still operates on much much older OSs. No worries mate. 😅

just to the point of this migration thing alternative maybe it would run better on Lin native compiled? doubt theyll try/do it but anyway. it doesnt mean DCS will stop working after MS stops W7 support but rather the fuss that manny players now have to lose their time for what.. whats better 'new' if that old is still working fine?

Edited by jackmckay

Same machine, W7/W10, W7 runs faster, everyone knows it. W10, machine is overloaded by bw, less resources to play very hardware-demanding software, less fps - less player's pleasure. my view.

Thing is that users cant change much about that as market idiocracy gains its ground. Manny are forced to comply, so prob is ED too.

• Like 1

Do you remember when Win7 came out and everyone was bitching about how crappy it was. You can still find hundreds of posts like "20 Reasons why Windows 7 sucks" HAHA I just find it interesting, every single time Microsoft releases a new Operating system you can find the same posts. If you type Win7 and bloatware into a search engine you will get 1.5Million hits...Same arguments every single Windows upgrade. We should all be used to it by now.

Edited by Concentric Arc
  • Like 1

Ryzen 9 3900X, Gigabyte X570 Master MB, Gigabyte RTX2080S, G.Skill Trident Z 32GB 3600Mhz, Corsair MP600 2TB M.2, Corsair MP510 1Tb M.2, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X case.

2 minutes ago, Concentric Arc said:

Do you remember when Win7 came out and everyone was bitching about how crappy it was. You can still find hundreds of posts like "20 Reasons why Windows 7 sucks" HAHA I just find it interesting, every single time Microsoft releases a new Operating system you can find the same posts.

There's a reason for that, most Windows OS's are completely garbage at launch. The only one I recall staying actual garbage was Millennium Edition.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!