Please allow "seeing around/under" NVGs in VR

Blackdog

ED, any chance we could get the option to move the apparent position of the NVGs away from our eyes (or to simulate that, make the size of the NVG vision portion smaller) in VR to allow us to "see around/under" the NVGs like in real life?

At present the only way to use any instrument/MFD (other than the HUD) is to flip up the NVGs -- in complex night missions where MFD/instrument info and outside-cockpit visuals are needed, constantly flipping the goggles up and down is far from ideal.

• Like 2

+1.

Just in case you dont know: You can use this mod to have this: 

Still works perfectly and is configurable.

• Like 2

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Thanks for this -- tried out the mod, tweaked the size and location settings for the G2, and end result is very similar feeling experience to actual NODs (when positioned smartly). 

Works out great because with my head in neutral position in VR the HUD is roughly circumscribed by the NVG area, and can see and use MFDs/ICP/DED underneath.  The instruments outside the NVG area are a little blurrier because the NVGs take up much of the VR 'sweet spot', but they are still usable, and it is WAY more usable than constantly flipping the NVGs up anytime non-HUD instruments are needed.

16 minutes ago, Blackdog said:

Thanks for this -- tried out the mod, tweaked the size and location settings for the G2, and end result is very similar feeling experience to actual NODs (when positioned smartly). 

Works out great because with my head in neutral position in VR the HUD is roughly circumscribed by the NVG area, and can see and use MFDs/ICP/DED underneath.  The instruments outside the NVG area are a little blurrier because the NVGs take up much of the VR 'sweet spot', but they are still usable, and it is WAY more usable than constantly flipping the NVGs up anytime non-HUD instruments are needed.

Can you share your changes? 🤗

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

On 1/18/2021 at 5:08 PM, unlikely_spider said:

Can you share your changes? 🤗

Sure... in MOD_nvg.hlsl I changed the size/location values to (I have the Reverb G2 -- may need tweaking for other headsets):

static const float2 EYE_CENTER = float2(0.5f, 0.6f); // SETS CENTER POINT OF NVG EFFECT ON SCREEN

static const float2 EYE_SIZE = float2(0.5f, 0.5f); // SETS X AND Y DIAMETER OF NVG (PERCENTAGE OF SCREEN)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello, for information my mod allows also to change NVG size, but you do it in game interactivelly by pressing keys to make them larger or smaller, and you save your setting at the end. You can also modify convergence in NVG view, as they are slightly zoomed by default, it may help with some HMD...

• Like 1

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

• 1 year later...

Big +1 om this, 

and this looks like a great mod, will be trying it out

On 1/24/2021 at 6:50 PM, lefuneste01 said:

Hello, for information my mod allows also to change NVG size, but you do it in game interactivelly by pressing keys to make them larger or smaller, and you save your setting at the end. You can also modify convergence in NVG view, as they are slightly zoomed by default, it may help with some HMD...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 5 months later...
On 2/5/2022 at 3:58 PM, FoxOne007 said:

Big +1 om this, 

and this looks like a great mod, will be trying it out

How is it working? I got the OpenXR opencomposite and I would want to be able to use both NVG and see the gauges and switches.

• 11 months later...

Bump.

As far as I can tell, all of the mods that allowed looking under NVG in VR now violate IC, so can't be used multiplayer.

Would love to have this as an option in game.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2