Video: Mi-24P introduction and comparison

Viktor_UHPK

Nicely done! :-)

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Exquisite video, production values are top notch, and the vocal delivery clear and precise, informative and engaging.

Well done, Viktor! Very much looking forward to the next one.

Mole

• Like 2

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] www.blacksharkden.com

bsd sig 2021.jpg

• 2 months later...

excellent video, everything you want to know about the airframe is there.

looking forward to Vid 2. 

• Like 2

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Nicely done. BTW, the KMGU dispensers are available in DCS. Most modern Russian jets and the Ka-50 can carry it. It doesn't work all that well due to limitations around HEAT submunitions, but I've killed things with it while flying the Su-25.

Yeah, and they're available in an anti-personnel and anti-armour variants (AO-2.5RT and PTAB-2.5KO bomblets respectively) but I don't think they're going to be available on the Mi-24P. Same story as the UPK-23-250 gun pods.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Nice, well done on part 2. One little nitpick though, I don't think that this module requires any more in-depth knowledge of the manual than any other module. Perhaps because of it's relative simplicity and fairly uncomplicated targeting and flight systems I would be willing to bet that it should be much easier to learn (but perhaps not master) the basics of this helicopter than any other module in the sim. Much easier than the flying computer called the AH64D in any case 🙂

• Like 3

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

On 4/14/2021 at 11:54 AM, Lurker said:

Nice, well done on part 2. One little nitpick though, I don't think that this module requires any more in-depth knowledge of the manual than any other module. Perhaps because of it's relative simplicity and fairly uncomplicated targeting and flight systems I would be willing to bet that it should be much easier to learn (but perhaps not master) the basics of this helicopter than any other module in the sim. Much easier than the flying computer called the AH64D in any case 🙂

It depends. While the AH-64 surely comes with more digital systems to learn, I am sure it is also more automated and requires less pre-flight checking and testing.

If you want to complete a Mi-24P pre-flight as per factory manual, you will be busy for 25-30 minutes with about 600 checklist items. 

Btw. Thank you for the very nice feedback everyone. It means a lot to me and motivates me to create more content.

Edited by Viktor_UHPK

My cyclic stick - modded MS FFB2 and

My Mi-8 training videos

8 hours ago, Viktor_UHPK said:

If you want to complete a Mi-24P pre-flight as per factory manual, you will be busy for 25-30 minutes with about 600 checklist items. 

That is not quite right. 7 minutes from sit down in cockpit to take off with calm procedures, including engines warm up. Measured directly at the source.

3 hours ago, Maverick24 said:

That is not quite right. 7 minutes from sit down in cockpit to take off with calm procedures, including engines warm up. Measured directly at the source.

Hi Maverick. 

There are different startup conditions (first flight of the day? flight with external load? flight at high altitude? training flight with operator at controls?) and different operation manuals for the Mi-24 around the world. That is why I have mentioned the "factory manual" ("Instruktia Ekipazhu"). To my knowledge it was used as the standard manual in the Soviet Union.

You probably already know this video. Of course it does show some diagrams / cut scenes. But it also misses quite a few (lengthy) checks from the manual. Flight deck inspection, pneumatic brake check, check of voltages of AC system, air bleed flap check, autopilot check etc.

All the best,

Viktor

https://youtu.be/DH_FNrZXgms?t=153

My cyclic stick - modded MS FFB2 and

My Mi-8 training videos

5 hours ago, Viktor_UHPK said:

Hi Maverick. 

There are different startup conditions (first flight of the day? flight with external load? flight at high altitude? training flight with operator at controls?) and different operation manuals for the Mi-24 around the world. That is why I have mentioned the "factory manual" ("Instruktia Ekipazhu"). To my knowledge it was used as the standard manual in the Soviet Union.

You probably already know this video. Of course it does show some diagrams / cut scenes. But it also misses quite a few (lengthy) checks from the manual. Flight deck inspection, pneumatic brake check, check of voltages of AC system, air bleed flap check, autopilot check etc.

All the best,

Viktor

https://youtu.be/DH_FNrZXgms?t=153

Hi, Victor,

With all respect and no try to flame - I did not like your way of comparsion with Apache so I had to step in 🙂 . Pre-flight check is not a startup and if you are talking about pre-flight, I am sure that Apache pilot has a lot things to do. 

Video you mentioned I know very well and I watch it many times, it´s so instructive 🙂 .

Video I recorded including pre-flight check (by the pilot) is unfortunately non-public so I dont have a proof for you, but most of things you mentioned are a few-seconds-things, or should be done by the ground crew or flight engineer during preliminary preparation or pre-flight preparation far before pilots even came to helicopter. Pilot then make a walkaround and mostly by a view checking all items from inspection, right, but we are definetely talking about 3-4 minutes, not  25-30 minutes. 

Flight deck inspection - look to cargo compartment or cockpit a check if everything is on place - a few seconds

pneumatic brake check - is one gauge on tail - open, look, close - a few seconds

Check voltages of AC systems - a few positions on one switch, displayed on one gauge in cockpit - a few seconds

Autopilot check is provide after takeoff.

During cold war our helicopters on borders was able to be in air till 4 minutes. Basicaly - I agree - it depens on a mission. But from your text I understand Apache is more automatic and because of that is far more quick to get in the air than Hind and I had to correct, because it simply not true. 

It is very important make a difference between type of mission and way of preparation for it, but many things from these preparations are done before crew come. 

Yeah - manual is one thing but practical use and SOP is the other. Where we could come if every flight took 30 minutes to take off. 

But we could definitely talk about the details. 

Definitely no offense I am glad to chat 🙂

Jiri

Edited by Maverick24

1 minute ago, Maverick24 said:

......but we are definetely talking about 3-4 minutes, not  25-30 minutes. 

During cold war our helicopters on borders was able to be in air till 4 minutes.

So if we have the helicopter prepared for the take-off, we are talking < 5 min from starting to wheels untouching the ground?

It is very important make a difference between type of mission and way of preparation for it, but many things from these preparations are done before crew come. 

I would like to see these requirements for various different start-up procedures etc. IMHO the DCS World requires more of damage modeling and systems modeling to get challenges for those who want to do full start-up procedure.

I admire the C-101 module developers as they have put a lot of effort for the proper emergency procedures and system failures and so on. That you can actually train those things and making mistakes makes malfunctions. 

But naturally need to be understood as well the need for many that want aircraft being ready to fly with automatic start-up script or Hot Start and so on. But would be nice to have all these small insightful tasks to be done correctly if it is just possible. 

As these start-up procedures is maybe one of the most overlooked things in DCS World, but it shows so much about the effort developers put to their work. 

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

1 minute ago, Fri13 said:

So if we have the helicopter prepared for the take-off, we are talking < 5 min from starting to wheels untouching the ground?

I would like to see these requirements for various different start-up procedures etc. IMHO the DCS World requires more of damage modeling and systems modeling to get challenges for those who want to do full start-up procedure.

I admire the C-101 module developers as they have put a lot of effort for the proper emergency procedures and system failures and so on. That you can actually train those things and making mistakes makes malfunctions. 

But naturally need to be understood as well the need for many that want aircraft being ready to fly with automatic start-up script or Hot Start and so on. But would be nice to have all these small insightful tasks to be done correctly if it is just possible. 

As these start-up procedures is maybe one of the most overlooked things in DCS World, but it shows so much about the effort developers put to their work. 

Yeah. Standard on borders was 5 minutes to gear up. 

Don´t get me wrong. For whole time I have Hip (since it was released 🙂 ) till these days I some times make a tea and do all checks I can, love those system details in there. And I deffinitely will do with a Hind too.