No start for P-47 D

I have only managed to start the P-47 D 2 times after many, many tries. I've tried moving the throttle to various points. putting the mixture in auto rich before starting, priming the pump several different ways, etc. It's annoying to go thru the whole process with no results and a waste of a whole lot of time. I've seen mention of an autostart feature, but I've not seen the key combos for this aircraft. Can anyone tell me what they are so I can start this beast up in a hurry? Thanks.

If you follow the sequency and apply correctly all,it will be no problem to start that beast:)

First use ground power and nothing else.

Open fuel by selecting a tank

check out:

boost backward

propeller full forward

melange  backward(off)

throttle slightly forward

battery on

magnetos on both

primer 5 or 6 time

now energize starter for 10 to 15 seconds 

once done engage starter

after 2/3 turns of propeller ,engage melange (two times forward=auto rich)

that's all

now wait temperatures before taxiing

put parking brakes and push RPM to 1500,and wait.

Edited by cromhunt

10 hours ago, Bolingbroke said:

I have only managed to start the P-47 D 2 times after many, many tries. I've tried moving the throttle to various points. putting the mixture in auto rich before starting, priming the pump several different ways, etc. It's annoying to go thru the whole process with no results and a waste of a whole lot of time. I've seen mention of an autostart feature, but I've not seen the key combos for this aircraft. Can anyone tell me what they are so I can start this beast up in a hurry? Thanks.

Doing random things in the cockpit wont do anything. Just read manual.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Curious what throttle you are using? 

I'm using TM Warthog, no curve no deadzone.  I would think that having either would really make starting harder not easier.  Did you do exactly the same thing for the Boost lever for the Turbosupercharger?  If not the same, how do you link the Throttle and Boost without busting the engine?

On 1/16/2021 at 4:57 PM, cromhunt said:

If you follow the sequency and apply correctly all,it will be no problem to start that beast:)

First use ground power and nothing else.

Open fuel by selecting a tank

check out:

boost backward

propeller full forward

melange  backward(off)

throttle slightly forward

battery on

magnetos on both

primer 5 or 6 time

now energize starter for 10 to 15 seconds 

once done engage starter

after 2/3 turns of propeller ,engage melange (two times forward=auto rich)

that's all

now wait temperatures before taxiing

put parking brakes and push RPM to 1500,and wait.

That's a good sequence, except for the part I highlighted in red.

During warmup, we are not to ever exceed 1,000 RPM until the oil temperature is at least 40°C and the oil pressure is no higher than 95 PSI. Running up to 1,500 RPM on a cold engine is a sure way to damage it.

Thankfully with the Jug being air cooled, it does not take too long for things to come up to temperature (unlike the liquid cooled Mustang). Also better to set the parking brakes prior to engine crank. To help keep from running down the battery, one could (and should) call for ground power. Just make sure the battery switch is in the OFF position while on ground power.

We can taxi on a cold engine without exceeding 1,000 RPM, since the Jug will start rolling between 800-900 RPM. This not only gets you to the runway sooner, but also warms up the engine the same as if you were stationary on the ramp.

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

Throttle curve seems weird... You need to crack open the throttle, then prime the engine.

I had trouble at first, but it was because I was over-priming/flooding the engine. It would catch but not run.

At sea level and OAT of +15 deg. C I prime the engine three times. Next, I hold the inertia starter to ENERGIZE for 15 seconds. She starts every time.

Screen_210120_061949.jpg

Edited by Tiger-II

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

I was just answering to the post about the engine don't start.It seems ?not?

All the stuff following the start ,like method to warm up oil and so and so...is up to you.

I did the warm up every time at 1500rpm with no damage in game.

And like numerous player i didn't pilot a real Jug.

Manual and other documents it's just reading for the long winters evenings

Do what you want and have a good game.

• 1 month later...

I can't get mine to start in the tutorial start mode, but it starts fine in the non tutorial modes. I think the trick is to get the mixture lever to Auto Rich the instant it fires and mapping a button on my HOTAS to engage Auto Rich makes it a never miss start.

• 1 month later...

FWIW  RightWin+Home to start, RightWin+End to stop.

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU