Stinger, Sidewinder or other air-to-air missiles

1stBEAST
Go to solution Solved by Raptor9,

On 7/12/2021 at 11:43 PM, DCSmodder486 said:

Cause I feel that without Stingers, the Apache will be pretty hard-pressed against the Hind and the Black Shark 3,  which both will feature A/A missiles. 

You have hellfires.   Use them.   (The answer is no, we're not getting ATAS).

• Like 4

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

If the AH-64D gets millimeter wave Hellfires, you're probably not going to need Stingers.  And it's already going to be quite a beast compared to the other copters.

The thing is, stingers can't be mounted on the wingtips anymore, because of the CMWS.  And as far as I know, only sidewinder has ever been tested on the pylons.

24 minutes ago, AlphaOneSix said:

This is how my unit was equipped during ODS.

There are still a few OH-58A/C's operating at Fort Irwin that have the ATAS wiring in them!...I would like to see the buno's in the photos posted to see if they are still flying out there! The last few to my knowledge were either sold or transferred from Rucker to Irwin until they fully phase out. 

On 7/14/2021 at 11:41 PM, CLUB 1-3 said:

you have a 30 mm chain gun that can follow your head. use it

And as someone stated before, if they were to add any AAM to the Longbow, odds are it's going to get mounted on the outer two stations, meaning you'll have to decide between busting tanks, using rockets, or shooting other helos and fast movers. As much as it sucks.... Apaches and Kiowas are supposed to team up, and in DCS, they will be.... there's also the Mistrel Monsters to tag along remember if you want anti-helo support.

• Wags locked and pinned this topic
  • 4 months later...

Would air-to-air combat specific weapon present, like Mi-28P?

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Will air-to-air missiles like Stingers be included?

Whilst earlier AH-64 version has this as an option, it was later removed in later versions like our mid-Block II. Instead, the Hellfire can be used against slow-moving aerial targets and the ends of the stub wings now mount CMWS detectors instead of Stinger missile attachments.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

• ED Team
5 hours ago, Hobel said:

the Hellfire proximity fuze?

There is no such capability in the Apache that ED is modeling.

Edited by Raptor9
  • Thanks 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

oh this again, heli vs heli fights are brutual and someone will die there is no possibilty to get out of there with speed like in a jet.

i personaly would absolutly try to avoid into getting  in heli vs heli fight i only would engage if i can suprise the other guy or he i unaware of me being there

even in IRAQ vs IRAN War the heli combat that took place weren exactly dogfights they were shots of opportunity with atgm´s (TOW, etc) as well so no specific air to air missiles were used

so i think a hellfire would be good  enough^^

hace 10 horas, Hobel dijo:

Yes, but is that a direct hit or the Hellfire proximity fuze?

because as far as we know, it's not coming.

to my knowledge, the only hellfire with proximity fuze is the Longbow Hellfire L7A and L8A, those are radar guided ones.

we can clearly see in the video they were actively lasing during the whole missile flight, so it's quite likely we are talking about normal hellfires with impact fuze.

I heard somewhere on these forums that later, when we get the radar, there is supposedly an A2A radar mode for possible A2A use of the radar Hellfires. I'm not a Apache nut nor do I have that quote but it may be something to look into

Edit 1: This isn't what I was referencing, but it does mention an A2A Radar mode for the Apache. I'll still try to find the og one I was referencing

Edit 2: This one adds some info on the A2A mode for the FCR, as the A2A mode(according to this) has a 360* scan compared to the 30* or so A2G scan

Edit 3: This comment is the one I was remembering, as this user states that on the Northrop website it stated the radar could do 16 simultaneous TWS tracks. The problem is that I can't understand if this is A2A or A2G. If it's either, hooray, but if it's A2A it is incredible. I'd assume that means we could have 16 mini Fox-3 for a fleet of Mi-8s and the like

So, the Apache has an A2A radar mode, and possibly has the ability to launch a radar hellfire at an air target. I will not count on this but I wouldn't discount it. Even the Northrop website mentioned is vague about the topic:

"The FCR's primary combat targeting modes include Ground Target Mode (GTM), Air Targeting Mode (ATM), and a new Maritime Targeting Mode (MTM) for the AH-64E. These modes provide rapid detection to engagement timelines. The FCR performs wide area search, precise detection, location and classification of up to 256 simultaneous moving and stationary targets. From these, the system then prioritizes the top 16 targets for immediate evaluation and, if desired, engagement by the aircrew. "

This quote does not clarify whether the multi-target tracking is for one, two, or all three radar modes. Probably opsec related business... Besides, the fact they say "256 simultaneous moving and stationary targets" makes me think its anything but ATM. Not many flying things are stationary, well, except for other helicopters(maybe). But the wording is just vague enough I'm not sure if just the fact they mention stationary is enough to make me discredit the ability for an A2A TWS track and launch with radar hellfires.

Take all of this with a grain of salt. NOTE: The website was for the AH-64E Apache, not the DCS variant. The radar may be the same for both variants, but the software and capabilities of the rest of the aircraft may be different and prohibit certain things such as 16 simultaneous tracks on the D variant.

Smooth Skies,

Mordant

Edited by Mordant

ASUS Tuf X570 Pro Wifi | Ryzen 7 5800X | 4x8gb 3200Mhz GSkill/Crucial | Gigabyte RTX 3060 TI | 1 500gb Samsung 860 EVO Boot SSD | 2 500gb HDD | 500gb Crucial NVMe (With DCS install) | EVGA 650BQ  |  Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + TM TF Rudder Pedals | TrackIr 5 | A handy dandy notepad ; )

F-5E | A-10CII | F-14 | FC3 | F-16 | F/A-18 | M2kC | MiG-19 | Sa342 | UH-1H | Ka-50 | L-39 | C-101 | P-51D | FW-190 D-9 | F-86 | Combined Arms | Mi-24P | Mi-8 | NS430 | Apache | "Christian" Eagle II ✝️ | Mirage F1

Primary Aircraft = Strong Red | Secondary Aircraft = Orange | Rarely Used = Yellow | Dead Aircraft/Not Bound = Purple | Recent Spike of Use = Teal/Cyan/Aquamarine/Whatever you want to call this

yes, it does have the ATM FCR mode, which is a 360 azimuth in wide scan, technically, ground targeting mode would also display helos or fixed wings as well, assuming they are within radar coverage in elevation and azimuth.

in the FCR page you can only get the 16 priority target icons, TSD can show all targets classified.

the maritime mode is a very late thing added as an upgrade on the Echos Radar electronics unit vor the V6 aircraft, so we won't be getting that one, we will get ground targeting mode, radar map, air targeting mode, and terrain profile mode.

I recently heard a podcast that said they still had the equipment on them but would have to pull the EW gear off and mount the A-A equipment. 

But I'll say I spoke to a number of out aviators in 1-227 Aviation before we had longbow and after. Every one of them to a individual did not worry about an enemy helicopter. Every one of them were very confident in running them down and gunning them. Not a single one said they would turn away or use a hellfire. 

• 3 months later...

I know they weren't on the exact model we have. But AH-64Ds certainly carried them at some point. And for the DCS environment they would certainly be nice to have. I have a simple mission where I try to hide from an AI F-15C armed with two AMRAAMs. I was decently successful in the Apache. While it was looking for me I was able to put my nose on and track it at close range. If I had Stingers that would have been one dead F-15. They would make the Apache so dangerous to any fighters trying to kill it. 

• 8 months later...