Mosquito skins!

YoYo

Basco,

There are 3 487 Sqn skins in this screenshot based on aircraft that took part in the raid :-

mosquito-fbvi-01-flight-simulator.jpg

EG-T
(HX982)

P/O Maxwell Sparks
RNZAF

P/O A. C. Dunlop 487 Hit by Flak wheel collapsed on landing at base

EG-R
(LR333)
W/C I. S. Smith, DFC F/Lt P. E. Barns, DFC 487 Returned

EG-H
(HX856)
F/Sgt S. Jennings W/O J. M. Nichols 487 Returned

ED have already said that there will be skins available on EA release of the Mossie that took part in the raid. This quote from 30th July Newsletter..

"At Early Access stage DCS: Mosquito FB Mk.VI will have different skins available, including those used in the famous Operation Jericho. "

So all good. I haven't seen EG-F (Gp Capt Pickards aircraft) in any screenshots as of yet but I bet some talented skinner may well do one for us should it not be included in the set we get from ED.

Edited by bart
  • Like 1

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Wow...great stuff bart....I had'nt noticed this comment by ED,thanks for sharing this,that's very encouraging,the serial codes

all match up to the relevant squad codes too....so someone's been doing their homework 👍

• Like 1

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

On 9/4/2021 at 3:18 PM, Basco1 said:

Wow...great stuff bart....I had'nt noticed this comment by ED,thanks for sharing this,that's very encouraging,the serial codes

all match up to the relevant squad codes too....so someone's been doing their homework 👍

Just a shame that they've used a USAF Font.

Some days being a graphic designer is a curse...

• Like 5

2 hours ago, DD_Fenrir said:

Just a shame that they've used a USAF Font.

Agreed. This sort of thing can be frustrating. ED lovingly make these exquisite 3D models and pour vast quantities of effort into get the flight model just right... and then use the wrong font or the incorrect roundel or a misspelling or something.  😞

• Like 4

On 9/2/2021 at 4:03 PM, Morat said:

Can we have a custom Varnished Teak skin? Pretty please?

Now that'd be a thing, a teak aircraft. Would fairly quickly be a teak canoe, I'd think, but it'd look marvellous!. The production line industriously carving up tree trunks...

--

The TseTse was really rare ( 18? someting like that ), they decided just using rockets was a better idea iirc. The gun had 25 rounds & you had to hold a straight dive for quite some time or it'd jam. I vaguely remember some story about one circling around a destroyer & shooting holes through it's machinery until it was disabled, but I can't find the story anywhere, so I'll put that down as wishful thinking.

--

Has anyone got a pic of one in Haitian colours?

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

1 hour ago, Richard Dastardly said:

Now that'd be a thing, a teak aircraft. Would fairly quickly be a teak canoe, I'd think, but it'd look marvellous!. The production line industriously carving up tree trunks...

--

The TseTse was really rare ( 18? someting like that ), they decided just using rockets was a better idea iirc. The gun had 25 rounds & you had to hold a straight dive for quite some time or it'd jam. I vaguely remember some story about one circling around a destroyer & shooting holes through it's machinery until it was disabled, but I can't find the story anywhere, so I'll put that down as wishful thinking.

--

Has anyone got a pic of one in Haitian colours?

I though jamming was only a development issue and was mostly resolved with the operational aircraft. All auto feed systems jammed sometimes.

There were new mosquitos with the 6pdr and conversions. Overall the installation seems to have worked well, been popular with crews and surprisingly accurate. The initial trial was so positive that a second squadron was equiped. More weren’t produced only due to factional infighting within the RAF. There was a big gun faction and an RP faction, the RP faction won out so no more 6pdr Mosquitos were produced. Their utility seems to be confirmed by the fact that the existing aircraft continued to be used by squadrons seeing a lot of action.

Edited by Mogster

22 hours ago, Mogster said:

I though jamming was only a development issue and was mostly resolved with the operational aircraft. All auto feed systems jammed sometimes.

There were new mosquitos with the 6pdr and conversions. Overall the installation seems to have worked well, been popular with crews and surprisingly accurate. The initial trial was so positive that a second squadron was equiped. More weren’t produced only due to factional infighting within the RAF. There was a big gun faction and an RP faction, the RP faction won out so no more 6pdr Mosquitos were produced. Their utility seems to be confirmed by the fact that the existing aircraft continued to be used by squadrons seeing a lot of action.

I thought it was down to lateral movement while the gun was being fired & a bit inherent, but I'll be the first to admit dodgy memory. It does seem to have worked well regardless, but there's the other matter of having an aircraft with 25 rounds of cannon & two 303s, vs a stock FB with all the armament you can fit to that, plus rockets.

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

1 hour ago, Richard Dastardly said:

I thought it was down to lateral movement while the gun was being fired & a bit inherent, but I'll be the first to admit dodgy memory. It does seem to have worked well regardless, but there's the other matter of having an aircraft with 25 rounds of cannon & two 303s, vs a stock FB with all the armament you can fit to that, plus rockets.

25 rounds is almost 25 seconds of continuous firing - that is a lot. From some accounts of anti-shipping sorties with the Banff strike wing, I don’t recall any that even managed to fire 20. I didn’t do a systematic study, but this seems to suggest that you can only get a few seconds of firing per run, and they were not keen on doing too many strafing runs.

RPs proved to be much more efficient in anti-shipping. With rockets you front load all your firepower in a volley of 8 rockets, then get the **** out of the way, so more mosquitoes can salvo their rockets within the shortest possible time span. Not so with the long strafing runs of the BFG, which is why in mixed formations they were always timed to attack after the RP mosquitoes. The main advantage of the BFG was that unlike the RPs that spread, it was possible to accurately target specific locations in the ship.

Despite their small numbers, the FB.XVIIIs saw a lot of action and were valued in Coastal Command.

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

If the gun gets upset at you sideslipping then it's pretty much one round per dive, I guess, unless you want a grouping in roughly the same spot. I'm not putting the plane down at all - first time I heared about it was in a Mossie documentary so long ago that my dad recorded it on betamax & it's fascinated me since ( like everyone else, I'd think ) - but if you suddenly decide you want to go bomb some docks or something other than poking holes in ships ( I'd imagine they mostly stuck to u-boats? ) then the standard FB is a bit more useful.

Can I put in a request to the fantasticv people who develop skins. Is it possible to create one for MS993 (N). This was a 617 Sqn (RAF) aircraft flown by Leonard Cheshire VC, whcih was used this for pathfinding purposes. His achievements are too numerous to mention here but please read: http://www.dambusters.org.uk/war-personalities/leaders/geoffrey-leonard-cheshire/

This is quite personal for me as I live where his first nursing home was created, it is/was in my front garden!

BTW, as Mossie is my first WW2 DCS bird I was wondering how to set serial number as well and just found it is done like this (from Reflected Fortress Europa mission, thanks):

EGAMH734 as TAIL# produces A-EG code letters and serial MH734. Pretty neat. It was new for me so maybe it will help someone else as well.

image.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ataribaby said:

BTW, as Mossie is my first WW2 DCS bird I was wondering how to set serial number as well and just found it is done like this (from Reflected Fortress Europa mission, thanks):

EGAMH734 as TAIL# produces A-EG code letters and serial MH734. Pretty neat. It was new for me so maybe it will help someone else as well.

For completeness, if you omit the MH you'll still get a MH serial - but you can set XV or ZY or whatever sort of RAF serial you like too. Works exactly the same on the Spitfire, on the RAF liveries for the Mustang & Jug you can set the code letters but not the serial. Or at least I haven't  found a way to set the serial.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Im surprised that in model we recived only 2 skins (UK) at beginning. Btw. Is it paintkit for this bird or not yet?

edit. Ok not yet https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/texture_templates/

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, hazzer said:

Any idea why we only have 2 skins still?

Judging from inclusion of antenna mast and changes in texture mapping in 2.7.8, they still haven't finalized the external model of the Mossie. No point in releasing the template and more skins then. I'd hazard a guess they don't want to repeat the template mess after P-47 release.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

WIP

image.png

• Like 4

Send lawyers, guns and money......... for the …. has hit the fan.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg