Full up elevator on airfield landing.

Neutrino

Here is a video of a couple of Hornets landing. I notice that on touchdown once the airbrake comes out and the brakes come on the pilot uses full up elevator for the roll out.

Thinking about it I can see a couple of reasons this might be useful. The extra downforce at the back will put more load on the wheels and reduce locking up under braking, and the turbulence will create drag and help slow the plane down too.

I'm wondering is this a standard technique in airfield landings, I've never seen it before?

@Neutrino i believe they do this to prevent excessive down force on the front wheel brakes and wheels. much smaller diameter and they tend to get hot faster. not totally sure. from the physics perspective it makes sense.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

This is standard, I've been doing this for years and seen it mentioned many times. Not sure if the drag helps in DCS, I recall some thread testing it and finding out it didn't, but IRL I'm positive it helps with drag to slow the jet down.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

There's very little noticeable difference (for me at least) but in the f14 it's absolutely massive at slowing the speed. And for the clever dik who's gonna say "that's coz the cat has bigger elevators... LOL" I would like to stick with theme of OP and suggest a small bit of drag would still be nice, you're still sticking a few m^2 worth of drag into the airflow.

. . . . . . .

Every module/ map except the dual winged joke.

Full up elevator is very common practice in RL. I've got 1,500 hours up to B1900 size aircraft and you do this especially when short runway and you know you're going to need to apply significant brake force. Part of it is weight on main gear, the more weight you can press into the main wheels the more you can apply the brakes without skidding. It's also common practice (not sure about NATOPS) to raise flaps on landing, yes you'll lose some aero braking but you want again, to get as much weight on wheels and the flaps act opposite to that. Second is to actually unload the nose gear (or at least try not to load it too much; the B1900 has this long spindly strut you don't want to snap) [also nose gears don't have brakes, I think the only ones are maybe those ginormous Russian cargo planes...]; when you're under heavy braking all the weight goes forward, the nose gear is not as beefy as the main gear... Ok third, full up elevator would certainly add some incidental air brake force. Also, once you're below about 100kts the air brake and the up elevator effectiveness reduce dramatically. 

Elevator up on landing does a lot of things that are beneficial:

• Increase drag
  • Increase aerodynamic stability (friction drag for tail wheel/skid)
  • Reduce weight on nose gear
  • Increase weight on main gear
  • Increase wheel brake effectiveness

Putting weight on wheels has a dramatic effect in how much braking torque can be applied without wheel skid. A 1000 lb racing car with 1000 lb aerodynamic downforce can brake approximately twice as hard as the same car without the downforce.