Heatblur F-4 Phantom

RED

But do you all think the Phantom II is significant enough that it should be represented in DCS twice, once as a land-based version (probably the F-4E) and once as a carrier-based version (probably the F-4J or F-4B)?  We have the Su-27 and Su-33, MiG-29A and -29S, Su-25 and -25T, A-10A and A-10C.  Sell the two F-4 versions as separate modules, with a 'combo' deal.

And is there enough in common between even an F-4B and an F-4E that one developer should make both?  Or should HB, for instance, make the naval version and perhaps ED make the air force version?

Does HB's development experience with the F-14 make them better suited to make the naval F-4 variant?  Can't they use some of what they developed during the F-14 on the F-4?  Even if that's just knowledge on how to go about it?

The Forrestal is out there waiting for its F-4 Phantom II.  😉

3 hours ago, Andrew8604 said:

But do you all think the Phantom II is significant enough that it should be represented in DCS twice, once as a land-based version (probably the F-4E) and once as a carrier-based version (probably the F-4J or F-4B)?  We have the Su-27 and Su-33, MiG-29A and -29S, Su-25 and -25T, A-10A and A-10C.  Sell the two F-4 versions as separate modules, with a 'combo' deal.

And is there enough in common between even an F-4B and an F-4E that one developer should make both?  Or should HB, for instance, make the naval version and perhaps ED make the air force version?

Does HB's development experience with the F-14 make them better suited to make the naval F-4 variant?  Can't they use some of what they developed during the F-14 on the F-4?  Even if that's just knowledge on how to go about it?

The differences between variants is quite pronounced, and between blocks within a variant there can be stark differences, country dependent for instance. You could never make a B from an E, nor vice Versa. 
 Equipment fit, landing gear, engines, wing, stabs, canopies, the list goes on with differences. Each variant in essence will be a new aircraft in its own right.

Im hopeful however to get reacquainted. . . 

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

On 1/18/2022 at 2:18 AM, Andrew8604 said:

The HB doing it argument is mostly centered around their existing experience with the F14, plus they already have a ton of leads in the naval aviation community to help out on it. Plus certain systems and "modes" of interaction for "jester" would likely be at least slightly similar on a naval F4. And of course re-cycling the Forrestal. 

• Like 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

19 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

The HB doing it argument is mostly centered around their existing experience with the F14, plus they already have a ton of leads in the naval aviation community to help out on it. Plus certain systems and "modes" of interaction for "jester" would likely be at least slightly similar on a naval F4. And of course re-cycling the Forrestal. 

Well that and more or less by process of elimination  as well.ED said it’s coming from third party and rather soon .Ok ,granted,the half-life of EDs PR communications is extremely short and they could have flip-flopped, which I hope they didn’t, because they seem to have already overloaded themselves far beyond their resources with all their unfinished modules. Not that that ever stopped them, I know.

But if you take their statement at face value, which other 3rd party could realistically do it and relatively soon?

-Aerges? busy for the next years with various variants of the F-1 and they are a small team.

-IFE? Likely too new to DCS for such a complex project, busy with MB339 and thereafter doing G-91 already.

-Razbam? Busy with complex F-15E for years, plus next is Mig-23,plus 10 Million other projects and whatnot.

-Deka? Focussed on Chinese/eastern aircraft and haven’t officially decided what their next module is.

-M3? Busy with Corsair and the F-8.Plus Mig-21 refresh Thereafter teased Su-22 variant already.Small team.

-Flying Iron? Up to their ears in A-7 development and seem to have a realistic,conservative approach to development and resources.

so these were the major contenders. Leaves HB, with one un-announced „fighter type“ project and their intention to provide further naval aircraft for their carrier.

Or ED, which I personally seriously hope isn’t doing it, because then it’s likely never getting finished beyond 75% EA.

regards

Snappy.

Edited by Snappy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Snappy said:

Well that and more or less by process of elimination  as well.ED said it’s coming from third party and rather soon .Ok ,granted,the half-life of EDs PR communications is extremely short and they could have flip-flopped, which I hope they didn’t, because they seem to have already overloaded themselves far beyond their resources with all their unfinished modules. Not that that ever stopped them, I know.

But if you take their statement at face value, which other 3rd party could realistically do it and relatively soon?

-Aerges? busy for the next years with various variants of the F-1 and they are a small team.

-IFE? Likely too new to DCS for such a complex project, busy with MB339 and thereafter doing G-91 already.

-Razbam? Busy with complex F-15E for years, plus next is Mig-23,plus 10 Million other projects and whatnot.

-Deka? Focussed on Chinese/eastern aircraft and haven’t officially decided what their next module is.

-M3? Busy with Corsair and the F-8.Plus Mig-21 refresh Thereafter teased Su-22 variant already.Small team.

-Flying Iron? Up to their ears in A-7 development and seem to have a realistic,conservative approach to development and resources.

so these were the major contenders. Leaves HB, with one un-announced „fighter type“ project and their intention to provide further naval aircraft for their carrier.

Or ED, which I personally seriously hope isn’t doing it, because then it’s likely never getting finished beyond 75% EA.

regards

Snappy.

I still think it's more likely that the Phantom is being made by "Belsimtek" as the follow on project to the Hind. But that's just me guessing :smile:

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

5 hours ago, QuiGon said:

I still think it's more likely that the Phantom is being made by "Belsimtek" as the follow on project to the Hind. But that's just me guessing :smile:

Well that’s ED now, they got incorporated back into them . Still hope it‘s not them, because even the Hind is unfinished in large parts and the above caveats apply to any ED or subsidiary production,in my personal opinion.

But we will just see.

Edited by Snappy
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Snappy said:

regards

Snappy.

I agree with you, though, deka never said they were focused on Chinese/eastern stuff. In fact at one point they considered the 105. But at any rate unless its a totally new Dev team, HB or Deka are the only 2 real 3rd party choices. Frankly I'd buy salt futures if it was in fact deka that did it, the tears would be amazing. 

Edited by Harlikwin
  • Like 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

ED probably realized what a cash cow the F-4 can be - it will likely be the best selling module of a new plane that is not F-22/35, and has the potential to be sold as two modules.

• Like 1

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

at least two modules....

You can have the E and make the G (very interesting sub module if you ask me)... or go Ej and F (germany export) 

The naval family! well: B, C, J, K and M... all different enough to gran a different module.

I would buy at least three without a doubt.

3 hours ago, Baco said:

at least two modules....

You can have the E and make the G (very interesting sub module if you ask me)... or go Ej and F (germany export) 

The naval family! well: B, C, J, K and M... all different enough to gran a different module.

I would buy at least three without a doubt.

They could probably do the E and F first with other Air Force variants especially since they are now partnered with TrueGrit who has someone that, iirc, flew a F-4F.

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

1 hour ago, DSplayer said:

They could probably do the E and F first with other Air Force variants especially since they are now partnered with TrueGrit who has someone that, iirc, flew a F-4F.

Honestly, there is no need for an F as it is just a budget E variant with less capabilities.

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

50 minutes ago, Zpigman said:

Unless they chose to do the ICE upgrade package, then it would be very relevant in the "dcs meta". 

Still mostly useless in ground-attack. A late Block run of the mill E will eat the F-ICE's lunch any day the week and twice on a sunday in A-G.

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

looks like it will be beautiful

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 8600K OC @ 5.0GHz w/ Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler| MSI GTX 1080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR4 3600 | EVO 960 NVMe SSD | WD Black NVMe SSD

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | HTC Vive | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Cougar MFDs | Saitek Combat Pedals

Very glad we were right about it being heatblur. 

Guess the win-win-win-win was a bit obvious.

Edited by Harlikwin
  • Like 2

I am very happy to hear that Heatblur are the ones that will do the F-4. I am very impressed by their Viggen and F-14, so if they keep their standards this high we are going to be happy pappies 🙂

• Like 2

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

I'm very happy to be proven wrong! HB is the best choice for a Phantom developer! 👍
I'm so excited! :joystick:

Edit: Apparently the Phantom is developed by HB in partnership with ED (former Belsimteak team?), so I might not have been totally wrong 🤔

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 4

Tornado3 small.jpg

On 1/26/2022 at 4:08 AM, QuiGon said:

I'm very happy to be proven wrong! HB is the best choice for a Phantom developer! 👍
I'm so excited! :joystick:

Edit: Apparently the Phantom is developed by HB in partnership with ED (former Belsimteak team?), so I might not have been totally wrong 🤔

It’s a duel developed module? That’s kinda cool.