Harrier accelerates even when engine is idle.

Hodo

So I found after the last update the Harrier will accelerate even when the engine is at idle.  I did a test and found I can get up to 50knts at idle on a long enough runway.  You can not remove the wheel chalks because of this and it makes taxing around the Tarawa extremely difficult.

Well, I believe this change was made intentionally. I’m going to go with Razbam on this one, seeing as I’m not a SME and assume it has the power at idle to move without a parking brake. I believe an easy fix for this is to angle the nozzles forward a bit instead of back.

• Like 1

Modules

Combined Arms, Super Carrier, A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, F-14, ,F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, P-51, Su-25, Su-27, MiG-21, MiG-29, Ajs-37, UH-1H, Ka-50, Sa-342

Terrains

Nevada Test and Training Range, The Persian Gulf, Normandy 1944, Syria

Yeah, the Harrier has incredible T/W for an attack aircraft, particularly at sea level. Remember that T/W>1 is a selling point for the likes of the F-15, and the Harrier doesn't even need an afterburner to have that. Without adjusting nozzle angle, it will go pretty fast in idle, even at full load.

If people would just read changelogs :smile:

• Improvement: Aircraft will now taxi roll on idle power if parking brake or brakes are not applied or nozzle deflection is not used to control taxi speed.

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

3 hours ago, QuiGon said:

If people would just read changelogs :smile:

Interesting... 

Funny I read the notes.  No where does it say, starting engine will make it impossible to remove wheel chalks even when brake is set.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hodo said:

Interesting... 

Funny I read the notes.  No where does it say, starting engine will make it impossible to remove wheel chalks even when brake is set.

I was referring to the new accelerating in idle behaviour.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

7 hours ago, QuiGon said:

I was referring to the new accelerating in idle behaviour.

So am I.

If you start the engine you can no longer remove the wheel chocks.

It's so funny that one of my org-mates found a meme about it.

p43xm9o9zec61.jpg

Edited by Hodo

6 hours ago, Hodo said:

So am I.

p43xm9o9zec61.jpg

My real annoyance is not that you need to stop and restart the engine if you happen to forget the wheel chucks to be removed, but that your HUD goes crazy that you can't anymore get the velocity vector, compass and over half of other values like speed etc.

Like make a minimum start-up procedure, and then shut engine off by doing all backwards, and then try to start-up it again and system is unusable.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

On 1/22/2021 at 8:28 AM, Wisky said:

thats your INS unalligning when you power off without ground power.

Thought so that battery doesn't have enough power to maintain INS aligned for long times... Made a 3 hour session with a four rearming and on the fourth time the INS went out. On previous three it was enough to just turn INS Off before turning engine Off, and then bring it back to NAV after engine was running. Same thing repeated on all four times and on fourth it did then go wanky.

On 1/22/2021 at 8:28 AM, Wisky said:

switch INS back to Off and back to IFA. About 1-2 min later its realligned.

Thank someone for the IFA as it would be pain to save and then input the coordinates each time where did you shut down your aircraft as kneeboard can't hold that info anymore.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

On 1/18/2021 at 8:12 AM, Hodo said:

So I found after the last update the Harrier will accelerate even when the engine is at idle.  I did a test and found I can get up to 50knts at idle on a long enough runway.  You can not remove the wheel chalks because of this and it makes taxing around the Tarawa extremely difficult.

Parking Brake ON. Prevents throttle motion and aircraft roll . Even with nozzles at 0. Or just point nozzles down to 60, to neutralize horizontal thrust component. WHeel chocks have to be pulled prior to engine start, and placed after shutdown. I dunno if this realistic RW for ground crew safety, ir peculiar to the sim.

On 1/21/2021 at 7:04 AM, Hodo said:

So am I.

p43xm9o9zec61.jpg

Hook up to external power, leave Battery ON and Generator ON. Shut down engine. Pull chocks, restart engine. Your INS will still be aligned.

It's pretty annoying to have trained myself to do startup a particular way, and then have to relearn it. Forgetting the chocks is infuriating. Seems that something like rolling on idle power should have been the case long ago - isn't that what SMEs are for? Please, Razbam, don't go making me learn things and then change them.