Aviation literature

Vino

What kind of books? Modern day stuff, or classics of aviation?

For instance, there's this book by French (somewhat controversial) Ace in WWII, Piere Closterman. "The big show".

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

• 3 weeks later...

I few of my favorites:

Fiction: 'Flight Of The Intruder' and 'Final Flight'  both by Stephen Coonts. Each reads like a detailed Tom Clancy novel. Both are very descriptive, and are written in                a manner that puts the reader 'in-the-seat', so to speak. The actual movie 'Flight Of The Intruder' is.....well....just sad...when compared to the novel.

Non-fiction: 'Top Gun' by George Hall. Published in the 1980's, it's still a solid read, includes amazing photography, and gives you a good idea of the requirements                            needed (during the 1980's) to qualify as a Naval Aviator. It also touched on why and how the actual NFWS began, how they operated (up to the mid-                           1980's) and a few of the tactics employed, and how the training syllabus progressed for students.

This book alone is what sparked my interest in pursuing military aviation photography, but also started an insatiable appetite to learn anything and                               everything about US military aircraft, their weapons and systems, and some of the tactics used to employ those weapons effectively. 

'TOPGUN Days'  by Dave BIO Baranek. Dave is a former F-14 RIO and TOPGUN instructor, and assisted in the creation of the brand new 'F-14A Zone-V'                                                    DCS campaign by Reflected Simulations, that was literally *just* released...  Dave has authored several books, and although I                                                                  personally have not read them myself yet, I'm sure that they are just as good. 

'Grumman F-14 Tomcat: Bye-Bye Baby.....!'  by Dave 'Hey Joe' Parsons, George Hall and Bob Lawson. Its more of a photographical book, but includes                          countless anecdotes, insights and short stories given by ground crews and Tomcat pilots and RIO's, of what it was like to maintain                                                          and fly the F-14.

I have several other really good books that come to mind, that were all authored by fighter/attack jet pilots, giving the reader their first-hand account of                       what it was like to go into a post-Vietnam war combat theater/environment.

Let me know if you are interested, and I will be glad to help.                   

Edited by =DROOPY=
  • Thanks 1

Unique aviation images for the passionate aviation enthusiast:

Fb: FighterJetGeek Aviation Images - Home | Facebook

IG: https://www.instagram.com/the_fighterjetgeek/

Aviation Photography Digest: AviationPhotoDigest.com/author/SMEEK9

• 7 months later...