DCS and SSD

ivo

Hi it's normal to read about 20gb of written bite on Samsung Magician about TBW for one hour played ?

bye

cpu:I7-6700k Z170 16GB Ram DDR4 Gtx 1080 8Gb DDR5 11GBs SSD 500 Gb 2 HDD 1Tb Evga supernova G2 850w Case Bequiet series 800 Silent base Win 10 pro 64 bit

My wishlist: F-35/B-17G/F4U Corsair/Yak-3/P-40B Tomahawk

Given the sizes of the maps in DCS, all being higher than 15 GB, plus a couple of gigs for your plane and units around you, I suspect it's normal to get 20+ already while loading any mission.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Thanks I imagined what you said in the graphics settings is there any settings to optimize the loading of the maps?

cpu:I7-6700k Z170 16GB Ram DDR4 Gtx 1080 8Gb DDR5 11GBs SSD 500 Gb 2 HDD 1Tb Evga supernova G2 850w Case Bequiet series 800 Silent base Win 10 pro 64 bit

Hi I did the following same mission test :

one hour gaming with Syria map about 11 gb of TBW

one hour gaming with Persian Gulf map 5 gb of TBW

one hour gaming with Caucaso map 2,5 gb of TBW.

Edited by ivo

this is windirstat of my DCS folder. i do not have all of the aircraft. i do have all the maps. this is from june.

image.png

this is from today

image.png

Edited by silverdevil

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

TBW see here :

https://www.ontrack.com/en-us/blog/how-long-do-ssds-really-last

Estimating terabytes written (TBW)

Usually, manufacturers give an estimate with the so-called terabyte(s) written (TBW)– especially when it comes to enterprise SSDs, but also for consumer versions. Because of the fact that by using Wear-Leveling the data will be distributed evenly over all cells, this figure is supposed to tell how much data can be really written in total on all cells inside the storage chips and over the whole life span.

A typical TBW figure for a 250 GB SSD lies between 60 and 150 terabytes written. That means: To get over a guaranteed TBW of 70, a user would have to write 190(!) GB daily over a period of one year (in other words, to fill two thirds of the SSD with new data every day). In a consumer environment this is highly unlikely.

Then Syria map for only one hour of gaming written about 11 gibabite...I think ist very bad optimized

Edited by ivo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So... you're worried about your SSD wearing out? I know that was a popular rumor in the early days, but it has since been exhaustively proven to NOT be an issue. Barring a fluke failure, or some other sort of random ''stuff happens'' situation, you're not going to wear your SSD out, period. Ever. In order to even try you would need to write/erase data 24/7 for years on end, and that's just not something that is going to happen in a home setting. When you trashcan your SSD it will be to replace it with something faster/better, not because DCS ''wore it out''.

Tldr : this isn't something you need to be concerned about, so forget about it.

-edit

There have been tests conducted online you can look up where people ran 24/7 tests until complete failure ''rating''. All of them made it well past the ''rated number'', most of them simply never failed period and they got tired of waiting for them to. It's really not an issue.

Edited by zhukov032186
  • Like 1

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

6小时前,zhukov032186说:

So... you're worried about your SSD wearing out? I know that was a popular rumor in the early days, but it has since been exhaustively proven to NOT be an issue. Barring a fluke failure, or some other sort of random ''stuff happens'' situation, you're not going to wear your SSD out, period. Ever. In order to even try you would need to write/erase data 24/7 for years on end, and that's just not something that is going to happen in a home setting. When you trashcan your SSD it will be to replace it with something faster/better, not because DCS ''wore it out''.

Tldr : this isn't something you need to be concerned about, so forget about it.

-edit

There have been tests conducted online you can look up where people ran 24/7 tests until complete failure ''rating''. All of them made it well past the ''rated number'', most of them simply never failed period and they got tired of waiting for them to. It's really not an issue.

no data no bb

Thank to all for yuor support.