DCS BIOS is dead, any alternatives?

v81

So was looking for assistance with some issues on the GitHUB and noticed that aside from modules no real action has taken place for almost 3 years.

There are pull requests (one of which would likely solve one of my issues) going back ~ 3 years and unanswered.

Same for Issues, people asking for help without answer.

DCS BIOS was pretty cool, but is there something that does the same thing and is active?

Far as i know it's all there was, kinda sad to loose it.

Cheers.

R7 3800X - 32Gig RAM -- All SSD -- GTX1070 -- TM Warthog, MFG Crosswinds & TiR

1 hour ago, No1sonuk said:

Or go ask in the Home Cockpits section of this forum, where Myself and others are using it.

Using what??

Also have i posted in the wrong place?

Inputs and Outputs seemed appropriate.

Edited by v81

1 hour ago, crash test pilot said:

Have a look at the flightpanels fork by blacklibrary:

https://github.com/DCSFlightpanels/dcs-bios

Sweet, have posted there.

I'm keen on STM32 support as the mega 2560 is proving inadequate.

There is a pull request in the original DCS BIOS Arduino library repo that claims to add this support, but it's not been actioned in 2 years.

19 minutes ago, crash test pilot said:

An easy possibility for expanding your ports for dcs-bios would be a rs-485 network. Have a look here:

Not looking for more ports, looking for more memory (SRAM) in the micro controller side.

One issue that required some code in the Arduino was the PVI-800 output from DCS BIOS is a pain as the strings don't include the commas, the commas are separate outputs and the arduino needs to process the string and put the commas in the right place.

I know it's a non issue for someone using a 7 segment display and separate LED's for the commas, but that's not what I'm doing.

Am driving an LCD for a multi purpose / multi aircraft pit and want to have it perform a different function per module.

Same screen / Arduino is doing F/A-18 UFC, A-10C CDU and a whle bunch of other things.

It changes function seamlessly on cockpit change.

But... we've run out of SRAM.

So it's not about inputs / outputs, it's about the lack of support for anything but a basic 8 bit Arduino.

There is a pull request ...

https://github.com/dcs-bios/dcs-bios-arduino-library/pull/27

...that has been untouched for coming up 3 years that says it adds STM32 support.

I'll be trying it once I get my workbench sorted again, if it works then we go from the most powerful MCU option being the 8bit 16MHz Mega 2560 with 256Kb Flash and 8Kb SRAM to something like this...
https://stm32-base.org/boards/STM32F407ZGT6-Euse-M4-DEMO-Large

An ARM based 32bit MCU @ 168MHz with 1024Kb FLASH and 192Kb SRAM (24x more than the most powerful DCS BIOS compatible Arduino.

For about the same cost as an Arduino MEGA 2560

21 hours ago, v81 said:

Using what??

Also have i posted in the wrong place?

Inputs and Outputs seemed appropriate.

Using DCS-BIOS.  My comment referred to "it" because the subject of the post is DCS-BIOS...

The Home Cockpits forum is a sub-forum of inputs and outputs, and there are more discussions of DCS-BIOS, etc. there than here.

Edited by No1sonuk

21 hours ago, v81 said:

Sweet, have posted there.

I'm keen on STM32 support as the mega 2560 is proving inadequate.

There is a pull request in the original DCS BIOS Arduino library repo that claims to add this support, but it's not been actioned in 2 years.

AND Flightpanels stuff is discussed in home Cockpits too. 😉

For anyone that finds this as a search.

Enquiries outside this forum basically show DCS BIOS is dead, bar for the changes / additions to/of modules.

For micro controller library support (Arduino library) this seems to have move to  talbotmcinnis , github https://github.com/talbotmcinnis/dcs-bios-arduino-library

I have discussed the adding of support for STM32 with Talbot and this was received very warmly.

I'll be testing this out in just over a week, and if all goes well we'll gain the ability to use a potentially cheaper micro controller with significantly more horsepower.

• 4 months later...

Here is the link for the DCSFlightpanels fork. This DCS-BIOS was updated just 4 hrs ago with more Hind stuff.
https://github.com/DCSFlightpanels/dcs-bios

Edited by Bailey
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I tried using the dcs bios hub browser method. It consistently stops working after 5-7 minutes.

Then I tried using the old method. Version 0.7.1 has multi port com. The latest ones don’t. So i installed the latest ones but copied the multi port com file to run several arduinos.

That worked till I tried to disable one toggle and Reupload and it errored out. Now running single or multi com port gives the dreaded socat permission denied error.

So I’m back to using the hub and it’s still timing out after a while. 

Is there a way to not let it stop working?

• 4 months later...

I am having the same issue, using .10 version of DCS-BIOS hub. After 5 or 10 min DCS Bios devices stop working, and the hub shows no ports connected. I have to restart DCS-BIOS and the game to get it to connect. I think I may have exceeded the limit for number of DCS-Bios devices. I have 10 connected for my simpit. I am trying to find a work around and am totally frustrated.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]