Is ADF in Mig19 working at all

rale26

I can't toggle frequency range nor can manually adjust frequency by mouse or bind keys. Only thing that works is that device can be turned on and TF-TG button is working up/down as well. Any ideas?

Edited by rale26

On 1/21/2021 at 11:27 AM, Bailey said:

I also had the same problem during the free2play event.

The free2play period indeed is to short for in-depth knowledge of an aircraft. You'd have to read the manual or do all training missions to fully understand the ins and outs...

To adjust the frequencies set the mode switch to ANT. To actually use the ADF, switch to COMP. You also have to be aware of NEAR and FAR modes. BTW changing frequencies is still very annoying with the mouse and hard to do during the flight. In the training missions for the weapons I would set the frequency on the ground but then you have no aural feedback to tune the signal (yet).

Edited by Wrcknbckr
  • Like 1

No, they're correct. The actual clickable functions (as well as the keybind ones) mentioned for the ARK-5 are not working. It has nothing to do with not knowing the systems, it's a bug.

On the other hand, if that's intentional behaviour - that would suggest the MiG-15 is bugged, because it has exactly the same ARK system and clickable functions work regardless what mode it's in.

Edited by rossmum

40 minutes ago, Zibell said:

Manual suggests that IRL if you adjust frequency without being in antenna mode you would be damaging the system. If the mig-15 lets you do it, then it lets you do the wrong thing.

Which would be a great part of the simulation 😄

14 hours ago, Wrcknbckr said:

The free2play period indeed is to short for in-depth knowledge of an aircraft. You'd have to read the manual or do all training missions to fully understand the ins and outs...

To adjust the frequencies set the mode switch to ANT. To actually use the ADF, switch to COMP. You also have to be aware of NEAR and FAR modes. BTW changing frequencies is still very annoying with the mouse and hard to do during the flight. In the training missions for the weapons I would set the frequency on the ground but then you have no aural feedback to tune the signal (yet).

Fair enough. In my case, I have read the manual, done all the training, did most of the campaign, and have had access to the module for a total of about 4-6 weeks. I am aware that I could have missed a step and am willing to admit if that was the case.

1 hour ago, Zibell said:

Manual suggests that IRL if you adjust frequency without being in antenna mode you would be damaging the system. If the mig-15 lets you do it, then it lets you do the wrong thing.

I stand corrected. Probably should've RTFM'd, but knowing it was the same unit from the 15 I figured it would work as it does there.

I do agree with the above though, allowing the player to do it (and suffer the consequences) rather than lock the controls out seems a better solution.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rossmum said:

No, they're correct. The actual clickable functions (as well as the keybind ones) mentioned for the ARK-5 are not working. It has nothing to do with not knowing the systems, it's a bug.

On the other hand, if that's intentional behaviour - that would suggest the MiG-15 is bugged, because it has exactly the same ARK system and clickable functions work regardless what mode it's in.

Not sure what is not working or bugged. I had no problems using the clickable ARK-5 functions for the Mig-19 in the training sessions (and elaborated upon in the training videos (mission 5)

You also need to be aware that the assigned freq. scale is dependent on NEAR/FAR mode. For NEAR you'd have to set the freq. scale on you left side (instead of the one on the right). Might that be the issue?

Mig-15 was to long ago for me for comparison. 

For NEAR you'd have to set the freq. scale on you left side (instead of the one on the right). Might that be the issue?

When it was not clickable, I tried both Near and Far switch positions. Neither enabled clicky.

You do actually have to have the mode set to ANTENNA for any of the controls to work (except those outlined in the OP). On the MiG-15 you can crank the tuning lever to your heart's content regardless what mode it's in, which is where I went wrong (I expected them to be the same - it's the exact same unit). I guess RB set it that way to force players to tune it "properly", while the MiG-15 doesn't, but also doesn't simulate damage to the system from doing it wrong.

Ideally both systems would let you do whatever you can do with the real thing, including damaging it. Bit of negative reinforcement to break up all that negative training DCS has given those of us who can't read 😊

• Like 2

Ah, now I get it! For the 'right' combination of settings the clicks will be accepted. Just for 'wrong' settings, causing damage IRL, clicks are simply ignored. TY for clarifying.

I'm all for the damaging functionality with working clicks, though it'll probably generate more posts...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/23/2021 at 6:13 AM, Zibell said:

That is not true. I have a Polish MiG-19 manual, and one of the service instructions specifically says to check the radio tuning in Compass mode. 

I reported this a year or two ago, but can't find it right now. Razbam deleted old bug reports without addressing them.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

• 11 months later...