Question for ED or user about painting prob hub

catchforusthefoxes

Go to your DCS World install, bin/modelviewer2.exe and open the P-47D model. In one of the menus, there is an option to generate a description.lua - This generated lua will list all the textures / materials applied to the model. Look through the list for something that looks like the prop hub and it should give you the name of the texture / material required to paint it. Then open the default P-47 textures and find/modify it. 

If you're still struggling, I'll have a look over the weekend but it shouldn't be too hard to do 🙂

Virtual Horsemen - Right Wing (P-51)  - 2008... 

Virtual Ultimate Fighters - Lead (P-47) - 2020...

• 3 weeks later...

A few lines of code in the lua affects it, namely these:
{"P47D_Fuz_Front_additional_set",    DIFFUSE            ,    "p47d_fuz_front", false};
{"P47D_Fuz_Front_additional_set",    NORMAL_MAP            ,    "p47d_fuz_front_normal", false};
{"P47D_Fuz_Front_additional_set",    ROUGHNESS_METALLIC            ,    "p47d_fuz_front_roughmet", false};

I removed the normal map entry because you don't need it.
Then I created 2 textures that were exact copies of the fuz front files, but downsized to 2048 and renamed them because they only seem to get used for the prop hub. That way they don't take up too much space in the folder. If you just use the fuz_front files there are lines and stuff through it because there are other parts mapped to that area, so a different set of textures is needed anyway.

unknown.png

You need to have separate files for the Early Variant. The spinning prop hubs are not mapped to the same spot for both.

Edited by Megalax

Megalax's Livery Studio

My Liveries in the User Files

I'll stick a maple leaf on anything...

It appears that there is an unavoidable trade off at the moment.

If you paint the spinner hub then, due to the parts location, it automatically paints the inside top edge of the fifth cowl flap down on either side. (see image below)

Unfortunately, unless they adjust the template layout, I cannot see a way around this at the moment.

It's not overly noticable, and I prefer to have the correctly coloured spinner, but it looks like we will have to live with it for now.😞

COLOUR LEAK.jpg

Edited by BoNidle

Update:

You do not have to paint that part, just paint the 2 prop hub parts that you paint to give the stationary painted spinner, as you normally do.

It's the two new text lines in the LUA that you add that apply it to the spinner.

But this is when it's adding the colour to the cowl flap. So I'm still testing.

Did you make a separate texture for the "P47D_Fuz_Front_additional_set" line? I made 2 extra texture files, one called FF (short for forward fuse) and FF_RM and then added them to the lua. I don't get that colouring in the cowl doors at all.

description.lua

Megalax's Livery Studio

Okay, sorted it now.

Disregard my two previous posts about the colour on the cowl flap edge. That was my fault, I had accidentally activated another layer, nothing to do with the prop hub colour!

As far as I can tell, all you need to do is add these two lines to the LUA, as Megalax said:

{"P47D_Fuz_Front_additional_set", DIFFUSE , "p47d_fuz_front", false};
{"P47D_Fuz_Front_additional_set", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC , "p47d_fuz_front_roughmet", false};

And that transfers your painted stationary spinner colour to the spinning hub, no need to paint anywhere else.

I don't think you need the two extra texture files.

Unless there's something I'm missing.

Edited by BoNidle

Thats so weird. When I first figured this out I put Tom's panel finder on it and it brought me to that area I pointed out.

Now I check it again and it does exactly what you said.

EDIT: You need the separate file for the Early variant. If you don't it reverts to the silver spinning hub.

Edited by Megalax

Megalax's Livery Studio