Best helicopter for learning...?

rkk01

Hind captures my attention... always had a “bogeyman” view of these, and was blown away “in the flesh” when they have been at RIAT Fairford 

BUT - haven’t properly flown a helo sim since Janes Longbow (tried Black Shark 1)

what’s the best DCS helo to re-learn on???

Just now, rkk01 said:

(for some reason I thought small, light, manageable)

Uhhh... we are talking about preparing for Hind right? 😄

Only thing I'd say Gazelle fits the bill is, using Viviane to guide missiles with will somewhat apply to using Raduga-F for same purpose on the Hind. But for flying, and general systems similarity, Mi-8 would be the one to look at.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

1 hour ago, rkk01 said:

Ok, thanks...

not the Gazelle then...?

(for some reason I thought small, light, manageable)

I don't own the Gazelle, namely as there's a lot of questions and comments over its FM being incomplete. I know Polychop made some improvements, but they've said they're going to revisit it after they release the OH-58.

With that in mind though, I can't recommend it without doing more research.

Plus, as the poster above noted, it definitely won't fly anything like the Hind even if the FM was perfect. The Hind will be a faster and slightly more agile Mi-8, it's a heavy bird and has a lot of mass.

Edited by Buzzles
spellingz

4 hours ago, rkk01 said:

what’s the best DCS helo to re-learn on???

For me, that would be the Mi-8 ... not really because it's easier (the Huey is easier to learn mainly because it has fewer systems), for me it was the best to learn mainly because of the really superb set of training videos that the user @vsTerminus created for it (the actual built-in training missions are buggy and uninspiring, I may try my hand at editing my own 🙂 ), here is the link in case you want to take a look:

Pity that you couldn't take advantage of the Christmas Sale, when it was 50% off ... but even so, it is an outstanding and under rated Module

Cheers.

Eduardo

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Probably the Huey just for practicing, though the handling characteristic of the Hind I'm expecting to have some more cross-over with the Hip. But for someone starting with helicopters, the Huey is your best bet.

@Rudel_chw Yeah @vsTerminus' videos on the Mi-8 are absolutely superb, very easy to follow, very well presented; are comprehensive and detailed while being pretty concise, they're probably the best resource for it going IMO, I can't praise his work enough.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

While normally I would agree with Huey suggestions, the question is specifically for getting ready to use Mi-24, and in that context it really should be Mi-8, no contest.

Flight characteristics will be closer, so will be some of the cockpit instruments/systems. It can also carry some of the same weapons like GUV-8700 gunpods, which admittedly Hind won't often need, and S-8 rockets, which Hind should often use.

It will also have a similar stabilizer autopilot as the Mi-8.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Only one thing I would like to add to the excellent recommendations : would you fly the Mi-8 once you get the Hind? I am not so sure but this has to be answered by the person buying it. Buying a module for just a few months may not be for you if you are more careful in what you buy. Of course it is the closest to the Hind, no contest. However the Huey is very different in its missions, it is a blufor, so there is still chances to fly it after you buy the Hind. Or maybe not, depends on you and what you want! Just some food for thought I wanted to contribute, both are excellent modules and you cannot go wrong with either of them. Helo flying in DCS is just a treat.

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

On 1/24/2021 at 2:13 PM, Qiou87 said:

would you fly the Mi-8 once you get the Hind?

Well of course: they were designed to work together. Their missions complement each other nicely, and it would be quite fun in multi-player 🙂

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Ok, thanks all.

Obvious similarities between Hip and Hind, but I can see the sense in the Huey for learning and flying about...

Not in any rush - next sale or trial period, perhaps.

re Black Shark... I got on ok with flying it, but the lethality of the AI ground units soon got a bit tiresome. I guess that is still the same (and applies to fixed wing)

13 hours ago, rkk01 said:

Ok, thanks all.

Obvious similarities between Hip and Hind, but I can see the sense in the Huey for learning and flying about...

re Black Shark... I got on ok with flying it, but the lethality of the AI ground units soon got a bit tiresome. I guess that is still the same (and applies to fixed wing)

Bear in mind that the main rotor on the Russian birds rotate opposite the Huey.

In order to counter torque on the Huey you add left pedal and on the Hip & Hind, right pedal.

The Mi-8 (Hip) is as you asked, the obvious stepping stone to the M-24 (Hind), but for just plain fun

and maneuverability with decent firepower, the Huey is hard to beat. I love my Huey. It is also, representative

of my generation. I grew up during the Vietnam war.

If you really love helos, then I would (and did) buy both and learn to appreciate the differences.

Here I stand, wallet in hand, waiting for the Hind.  😁  C'mon ED, gimmie, gimmie, gimmie.

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

On 1/24/2021 at 2:13 PM, Qiou87 said:

Only one thing I would like to add to the excellent recommendations : would you fly the Mi-8 once you get the Hind? I am not so sure but this has to be answered by the person buying it. Buying a module for just a few months may not be for you if you are more careful in what you buy. Of course it is the closest to the Hind, no contest. However the Huey is very different in its missions, it is a blufor, so there is still chances to fly it after you buy the Hind. Or maybe not, depends on you and what you want! Just some food for thought I wanted to contribute, both are excellent modules and you cannot go wrong with either of them. Helo flying in DCS is just a treat.

Utility helicopter flying (either with the Huey, or the HiP) is some of the most fun you can have in a multiplayer environment. Thanks to the dedicated scripting community out there there are plenty of missions that transport helicopters can do and they are equally as important as dedicated A2A or A2G platforms out there. So yeah, even with the release of the mi24 (or even the AH64D) I will keep going back to the utility helicopters. They serve a pretty good purpose in this sim. 

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Utility helicopter flying (either with the Huey, or the HiP) is some of the most fun you can have in a multiplayer environment. Thanks to the dedicated scripting community out there there are plenty of missions that transport helicopters can do and they are equally as important as dedicated A2A or A2G platforms out there. So yeah, even with the release of the mi24 (or even the AH64D) I will keep going back to the utility helicopters. They serve a pretty good purpose in this sim. 

Indeed, I got a bit jealous in a 4YA server where a single Huey transported troops close to enemy bases, and vehicles, and took them over like that. In that case a single Huey was more effective at cleaning out enemy bases than some Hornet or A10 pilots. Definitely something I want to learn to do, the Huey on its own is totally underpowered but this capability is rather awesome.

Edited by Qiou87

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

20 hours ago, rkk01 said:

In that case keep your eye on the other helicopters as well: generally speaking the best helicopter to learn your craft on is something light and small. Once you're used to that, everything else will be easier to learn than the other way around.
Ideally and in the current DCS environment, the Gazelle would be the go-to helicopter for learning to fly. Why it currently isn't, is very well explained in this video:

Personally I'm very much looking forward to flying this thingie once the cyclic behaviour has been corrected (which it will) 🙂

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

Utility helicopter flying (either with the Huey, or the HiP) is some of the most fun you can have in a multiplayer environment.

The Hip and the Huey also have a surprising amount of SP content. They both come with an included campaign and the Huey has 2 while the Hip has 4 (!) additional payware campaigns. That's more than pretty much any module other than the "flagship" ones.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to try the Gazelle, Hip & Huey in the trial...

Only had a play in the Gazelle so far. Training missions seem a little odd - cold start, followed by weapons, with nothing in between...!?  Was pleased that I remembered enough helo flying to get it off the ground, make a as trip around the base and back down again 😆

Will try the Huey next - suspect it will be a little less twitchy 

Have now tried all three - Gazelle, Hip and Huey...

Found the Huey quite difficult to control, especially severe yaw. Wasn’t really a fan, but will get some more time in during the trial window.

Hip is quite satisfying, especially the start up. Seems very willing to pitch left as you pull collective to lift off... is this an effect of the massive rotor disc?  Managed to fly around the base and land ok👍

Surprisingly, given comments above, favourite remains the Gazelle - yes it is very twitchy and very tricky to stabilise for the auto hover. But it is also a fun little thing to fly around in...

Could be tempted by a sale purchase or two. Can easily see the logic of getting the Hip for pre-Hind familiarisation though

Got some more hours in on the Hip and Gazelle today... very enjoyable flying around at, or below tree top level...

Must be doing something clumsy with the collective though - every time I push my TM HOTAS throttle to max opening (I know it’s not the helo throttle), I break the helicopter.

Presumably, what is normally the AB throttle detent is set up to be over the max allowable torque???  If so, do I need to play with my throttle axis scaling?

Go with the UH-1H. Best all round heli imho and perfect to start learning in. I'd stay away from the gazelle. The 'flight model' on that chopper doesn't seem right. I'd leave the Mi-8 as last - she's a big girl with massive rotors and is a lot more forgiving than the Huey. 

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

I agree with this as I felt the huey is a good starter to learning the basics of Helo work , though I never tried the gazelle , but I have tried the Hip and the Hokum (Ka-50 ) and the Hip is a bit harder to fly and the Ka-50 is more focused on Weapons employment while the Huey as a helo can function more as a transport helo butt can take up the gunship and sling loading roles.

TLDR : buy the Huey