PD MLC off still drops lock when target turns to notch.

Skarp

Put an aircraft in an orbit at 30k feet. Put your f14 similar altitude. PD STT lock the target and push the nose down so the radar angle is +3deg. You will see the target drop lock even though it is not in a 0 notch filter.

its not about pushing the nose 3 deg down, its about getting a 3 deg lookup or more, relative to the horizon (not quite the horizon but imagine it like that) For example, you nose can be pointed above a target, but if he is over 3 deg above the horizon/lookup from your perspective it counts as lookup, as it should. Lookup/Lookdown is determined in DCS by altitude differential, not by where your nose is pointed.

• Like 2

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

1 hour ago, dundun92 said:

its not about pushing the nose 3 deg down, its about getting a 3 deg lookup or more, relative to the horizon (not quite the horizon but imagine it like that) For example, you nose can be pointed above a target, but if he is over 3 deg above the horizon/lookup from your perspective it counts as lookup, as it should. Lookup/Lookdown is determined in DCS by altitude differential, not by where your nose is pointed.

Tilted IE it says +4 deg on the radar degree elevation. so yes relative to the horizon. so say you are co alt with the bandit you PD lock him and he start to turn. push your nose down so the radar elevation reads +3deg or more and it auto turns off the MLC. 

from the manual

"If the MLC switch on the DDD panel is in AUTO the radar will automatically turn off the MLC filter if looking more than 3 degrees above the horizon"

In the image below it shows +15 degrees in radar elevation. It only needs to be above 3 degree to disable the MLC.
image.png

Edited by Skarp

On your ADI I can see 15° nose down while the radar is pointing 15 up summing to 0° relative to the horizon. dundun92 is right, the radar needs to point at least 3° up relative to the horizon and not the aircraft's longitudinal axis (which is what the TID shows) 

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

2 hours ago, sLYFa said:

On your ADI I can see 15° nose down while the radar is pointing 15 up summing to 0° relative to the horizon. dundun92 is right, the radar needs to point at least 3° up relative to the horizon and not the aircraft's longitudinal axis (which is what the TID shows) 

Its based on antenna elevation not horizon. Why if you are low and you tilt radar up 3deg to scan for targets .

“The usage of the Mainlobe Clutter Filter can be altered by the RIO by means of the relative switch placed on the left of the DDD. The MLC switch has three settings: In, Auto and Out, default setting is Auto.
The MLC is automatically disabled if the antenna elevation angle is greater than 3°“

https://flyandwire.com/2019/10/25/awg-9-wcs-advanced-part-ii/

Edited by Skarp

No, he’s correct. MLC auto is based on antenna elevation above horison. Having it based on antenna elevation relative aircraft ADL would make auto useless as it’s designed to enable MLC filter when there is a risk of ground clutter in the MLC areas. This is also partly why all PD modes are always stab in.

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, Naquaii said:

No, he’s correct. MLC auto is based on antenna elevation above horison. Having it based on antenna elevation relative aircraft ADL would make auto useless as it’s designed to enable MLC filter when there is a risk of ground clutter in the MLC areas. This is also partly why all PD modes are always stab in.

Thank you for clearing that up for me.

• 3 months later...
On 1/24/2021 at 12:14 AM, Naquaii said:

can this be fixed in the manual?
relevant section:

image.png

section 3.18.1 Detail Data Display (DDD) and Panel, PDF page 203 (document page 195)

I missed this point from January 😐

On 1/23/2021 at 10:56 PM, Skarp said:

Its based on antenna elevation not horizon. Why if you are low and you tilt radar up 3deg to scan for targets .

“The usage of the Mainlobe Clutter Filter can be altered by the RIO by means of the relative switch placed on the left of the DDD. The MLC switch has three settings: In, Auto and Out, default setting is Auto.
The MLC is automatically disabled if the antenna elevation angle is greater than 3°“

https://flyandwire.com/2019/10/25/awg-9-wcs-advanced-part-ii/

I took for granted the reference is the horizon, but I will add a note to the article pointing here. Lesson: never take anything for granted! 🙂

Sidenote: this makes me think of the Stab switch: we were able to turn it off even in PD modes at release, then the devs fixed it, and now we can use the aircraft as reference only in P mode.

full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

57分钟前,Brinkyeti说:

can this be fixed in the manual?
relevant section:

image.png

section 3.18.1 Detail Data Display (DDD) and Panel, PDF page 203 (document page 195)

manual .pdf version is out of date, please check online manual.

I7-4790K | RTX2070 | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | 24G DDR3 | 東芝 TOSHIBA HG5d M.2 256GB SSD | Q200 EX

6小时前,Brinkyeti说:

online manual (http://heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#detail-data-display-ddd-and-panel) still doesn't mention that the 3° are in relation to the horizon and not the total look-up of the radar.

Hey, http://heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#pulse-doppler-mode

It's described in PD mode,

引用

If the MLC switch on the DDD panel is in AUTO the radar will automatically turn off the MLC filter if looking more than 3 degrees above the horizon.

I7-4790K | RTX2070 | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | 24G DDR3 | 東芝 TOSHIBA HG5d M.2 256GB SSD | Q200 EX