DCS is playable on linux through wine

TheZoq2

I hope this is the right section for this. For a little over a year, I have been playing DCS on linux via wine, and a bunch of people have told me to make a thread about it on the forums.

If you're interested in also jumping off the windows train, there is a (mostly) up to date guide on getting it working at https://github.com/thezoq2/dcs_on_linux and a bunch of discussion about it at https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/1722

The game runs pretty flawlessly, though there are some issues: the biggest one being broken smoke rendering https://github.com/TheZoq2/dcs_on_linux/issues/4, and a few other minor things. Performance is pretty good in my experience though I can't compare to windows because I haven't tried it on this PC.

Of course, there are no guarantees that this will keep working in the future, but it's nice while it lasts. Usually patch day requires some investigation, but so far we've been able to keep it working.

Finally: ED, in my experience, there  are several people who are interested in this and while I know you probably don't have the resources to do anything official, I, and I'm sure a lot of other people would be very happy if this keeps working. If we can do anything to help with that, let me know, I'd be very happy to help

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Getting away from the foul windoze would be great, there are very few things I despise as much as this crappy win10 and I only use it because of DCS, I would drop it in a second if I could and do a dance of joy while doing it. Perhaps I will give wine a go in the near future.

Edited by Nevyn
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, upyr1 said:

What distro do you use? I would love it if ED would officially support wine in the future-and have packages for Linux and Mac

I use arch myself, but there isn't really anything preventing it from running on other distros. The one thing might be a requirement is up-to-date video drivers etc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting discussion!
I'd like to switch to linux distro, but for DCS I'm sticking with windows 10.
It would be nice to create a guide and section for the linux world on the ED forum. With official step by step guides.

• Thanks 1

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2021 at 4:08 AM, Nevyn said:

Getting away from the foul windoze would be great, there are very few things I despise as much as this crappy win10 and I only use it because of DCS, I would drop it in a second if I could and do a dance of joy while doing it. Perhaps I will give wine a go in the near future.

I use a stripped down, slick version of win7 64 .... on a DCS dedicated  pc ...with average spec ...  at near max settings with no significant issues. 

• 4 months later...

I would also like to see a solution, as I run Ubuntu on a laptop and a RHEL on another one; if there would be a windows free environment this would even be a benefit for ED, as Linux is longterm calculatable (one distribution / main version is normally running 5-10 years, depends on which "flavor") and much more stable than this Windows where you never know whats coming next on BillyBoys mind...

I don‘t think there is much on Bill‘s mind. He‘s earned more money already, than he could spend in 100 lives…

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

• 4 months later...

Native support of DCS for Linux would be great! It's time to break the Windows-monopole!👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

PC: Intel Core i7-12700K| Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4| 2x 32GB DDR4 Kingston Fury Beast (KF436C18BBAK2/64)| PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil| 3x SSD-Drive (one for DCS only)| 3x HDD-Drive| Cougar Panzer Max| custom water cooling| Fedora Linux| Windows 11|

Gear: Meta Quest 3| Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS| MFG Crosswind v2| Leap motion controller|

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/15/2021 at 11:45 PM, Flummi said:

Native support of DCS for Linux would be great! It's time to break the Windows-monopole!👍

and it would also help ED in building a more stable platform, as you dont have those f*cking MS updateshit that also breaks stuff all the time. As ED is lacking good coders as it seems, this would definitely help and save money for ED in the long run. (edit: and our nerves)

Edited by Docsnuggles
  • Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 3:36 PM, TheZoq2 said:

I hope this is the right section for this. For a little over a year, I have been playing DCS on linux via wine, and a bunch of people have told me to make a thread about it on the forums.

If you're interested in also jumping off the windows train, there is a (mostly) up to date guide on getting it working at https://github.com/thezoq2/dcs_on_linux and a bunch of discussion about it at https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/1722

The game runs pretty flawlessly, though there are some issues: the biggest one being broken smoke rendering https://github.com/TheZoq2/dcs_on_linux/issues/4, and a few other minor things. Performance is pretty good in my experience though I can't compare to windows because I haven't tried it on this PC.

Of course, there are no guarantees that this will keep working in the future, but it's nice while it lasts. Usually patch day requires some investigation, but so far we've been able to keep it working.

Finally: ED, in my experience, there  are several people who are interested in this and while I know you probably don't have the resources to do anything official, I, and I'm sure a lot of other people would be very happy if this keeps working. If we can do anything to help with that, let me know, I'd be very happy to help

Thank you. I intend to swap to Linux when my release of Windows 10 is no longer supported. It sounds like you have a graphic driver issue, you might want to try different drivers to see if one solve your issue.

Fly dangerously!

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

18 minutes ago, Thinder said:

Thank you. I intend to swap to Linux when my release of Windows 10 is no longer supported. It sounds like you have a graphic driver issue, you might want to try different drivers to see if one solve your issue.

Fly dangerously!

ED has some driver issues imo - as the drivers normally work everywhere else, only DCS is making trouble from time to time; this they could get around as on Linux imo.

What about VR (I have a HP G2) ?

On 12/5/2021 at 10:10 AM, Docsnuggles said:

and it would also help ED in building a more stable platform, as you dont have those f*cking MS updateshit that also breaks stuff all the time. As ED is lacking good coders as it seems, this would definitely help and save money for ED in the long run. (edit: and our nerves)

Migrating single platform solution to a multi-platform is challenging. It involves heavy modifications not only to the source code, dependencies (e.g. replacing non-portable libraries, build tools but also tests and internal procedures and processes. Such migration unveils a myriad of of dirty tricks and inconsistencies. Once you reach that point that you can build something that is multi-platform: testing is multiplied, and this is were it starts to be expensive.

Add on top of that licensing of dependencies and you will see why managers will promptly shut down any such initiative. I would be really surprised to see DCS ported on linux.

Best you can do is to try to use wine/lutris steam/proton to make it run.

I tried using lutris on Ubuntu 20.04, managed to install it, and start it, but it appears that it depends on 32-bit library which was not provided as a package for 32 bit.

I found another person who had the same issue, but since then I did not get any reply:

https://lutris.net/games/dcs-world/

Does anybody have the working 2.7 setup on any linux distribution?

• Like 3

16 hours ago, okopanja said:

Migrating single platform solution to a multi-platform is challenging. It involves heavy modifications not only to the source code, dependencies (e.g. replacing non-portable libraries, build tools but also tests and internal procedures and processes. Such migration unveils a myriad of of dirty tricks and inconsistencies. Once you reach that point that you can build something that is multi-platform: testing is multiplied, and this is were it starts to be expensive.

Add on top of that licensing of dependencies and you will see why managers will promptly shut down any such initiative. I would be really surprised to see DCS ported on linux.

Best you can do is to try to use wine/lutris steam/proton to make it run.

I tried using lutris on Ubuntu 20.04, managed to install it, and start it, but it appears that it depends on 32-bit library which was not provided as a package for 32 bit.

I found another person who had the same issue, but since then I did not get any reply:

https://lutris.net/games/dcs-world/

Does anybody have the working 2.7 setup on any linux distribution?

As ED does not manage to build any stable bugfree version even under windows, i guess we would all be happy to have a little fewer bugs, even if it means to built up a linux system. If you ask now "what bugs" well... look in the bug sections, i myself had 10+ tickets over the years due to bugs.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Jip!

The last proton update 7.0 lists DCS specifically as one of the top supported games!

I can only speculate about the reasons… and to be honest is irrelevant. Fact is DCS now works out of the box on Steam. 

Good enough for me!

Thanks Guys

Immediately bought the AH-64 to show my Support for this move. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

That's good news, last time I tried it it was not-so-smooth.

Think I need to shrink my C drive again to have enough space on my Mint.

What actually sucks is that the Mainboard I have has limited sound functionality. Its a real PITA to route the sound to the correct jack. Curious to see if I can route DCS through the speakers and Comms to my headset. I bet it won't work out of the box due to this ESS Chip my board has in addition to the Realtek Audio Codec

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I'm really keen on making the switch the Linux, but having spent a fortune on peripherals, I can't make the move without DCS lol I can do without most everything else, but too much invested in this! I'm watching these developments with interest! Make sure you update any references like ProtonDB etc with your experiences!

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

vor 16 Stunden schrieb Mars Exulte:

I'm really keen on making the switch the Linux, but having spent a fortune on peripherals, I can't make the move without DCS lol I can do without most everything else, but too much invested in this! I'm watching these developments with interest! Make sure you update any references like ProtonDB etc with your experiences!

Right on the spot !

If you only play FPS games with Mouse and Keyboard it's fairly simple once your Game is well supported.

DCS and many other Simulators for Flight and Racing have multiple devices attached to the PC that we all demand to work. Not speaking of Sound and LAN/WLAN chip issues that can make your life even harder in the Linux world, even if you do Linux for a very long time.

Tbh, I havent even checked if TiR worked, I have no idea. I know the Hotas worked.

Yes, I play around with it but won't switch yet with DCS. But I would if it worked as intended.

• Like 1

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

On 1/24/2021 at 5:08 AM, Nevyn said:

I agree with you but there are too many stuff to evaluate, driver support, VR, too many things, but it would be great to mount a partition with dedicated linux and optimized for DCS. Furthermore, a lot depends on the developers of DCS themselves.

On 12/7/2021 at 10:19 PM, Docsnuggles said:

ED has some driver issues imo - as the drivers normally work everywhere else, only DCS is making trouble from time to time; this they could get around as on Linux imo.

What about VR (I have a HP G2) ?

The beauty of linux is that you can customize it only for dcs and get rid of all that useless sh** that is in windows.

• Thanks 1