TWCS and Nyogel 767A - jerky rapid motion issue

mtpiperpilot

Like so many others, I had been living with the stiction (static friction) issue with the Thrustmaster TWCS. Small, slow movements were very jerky. After watching youtube videos and reading reviews and how-to's on Nyogel 767A, I took the plunge and bought a tube. 

As per community instructions, I took the throttle back plate off and carefully and methodically cleaned all of the factory lube off the rails and slide, POT swing arm, and friction pads. I then took a small amount of Nyogel and applied it to all of these areas, being diligent about trying to spread it evenly around the circumference of the rails. 

Immediately I noticed how wonderfully smooth the throttle action had become, and I was impressed. No more stiction at all! Reassembled and went to try some A2A refueling (which was more successful). Now to go land on the boat.

Well, this is where things go bad with the Nyogel. Rapid movements of the throttle are way overdamped now, and pushing past the resistance causes the throttle lever to abruptly jerk and jolt. For example, pushing the thottle up during a trap will cause it to skip and lurch. Feels absolutely terrible, like I'm going to overstress the plastic, like the slide is trying to tilt and twist on its rails. How fast am I moving the lever? For example, a full sweep of the unit in about 1-1.5 seconds will cause this issue.  

First I thought maybe it wasnt spread evenly. Took it back apart to check - all was good. I tried adjusting the tension with the factory friction pads from completely loose to tight and everything in between. No luck.

So, maybe I didnt use enough Nyogel. Applied more and smoothed it all over contact surfaces. This actually made the problem worse. 

Needless to say, after waiting a few days to see if it would improved after a "work in" period (it didnt), I just spent the good part of an hour cleaning all the Nyogel off and applied Labelle 106 grease, a plastic-friendly PTFE grease similar to what was on there in the first place. Stiction is back, but at least I dont feel like i'm damaging the throttle the few times I need to rapidly move the power.

Ideas? With all the good reviews, I feel like I must be missing something, somehow.

Thanks!

Edited by mtpiperpilot

9 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Interesting. I might give it a try, but it seems I'll be sticking with WD40 for a while longer. Friction turned to zero, and smooth as hell.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

What specific version of wd40, sir? 

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Just now, MAXsenna said:

Are there more than one? Anyway, bought in Norway.
Cheers! 4f4c933fedfe4ead4be86b13c9e5d976.jpg

Yeah, there is some versions, others based on lithium grease. 

Yours look like the very same which worked for metal friction instead of plastic, the one used for carrier personnel to lube tomcat nozzles 😉

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Yeah, there is some versions, others based on lithium grease. 
Yours look like the very same which worked for metal friction instead of plastic, the one used for carrier personnel to lube tomcat nozzles
Provably. It works for me anyway.

Oh! So you're the one that snagged the last one right in front of me!
Just kidding!
Please tell us what you think about it when you get it!
Cheers!

He was out but notified me a few days ago that parts were back in

No worries, I was just joking. I had a look yesterday, seeing the link in this thread. There was one left, and it was gone after a couple of minutes.

12 hours ago, MoToad said:

Nope. There's only one WD40.

There are:
- gel lube
- silicone
- white lithium grease
- multi-use

• 2 weeks later...

I own the impulse slider mod but haven't got the time to test it quite much (around 10 hours for now) but it is sooooo much better than the stock slider. My slider had a little bit of wobble around the middle section where the grip connects to the slider, or it was even the whole slider i don't know for sure. But i always had to slightly push it to the left and down to get somewhat of a smooth motion out of it. With the impulse slider all of the issues are just gone. Doing small adjustments on the throttle is a piece of cake compared to the original one. I even use nyogel with it because i like a bit of smooth friction with it.

• Like 1

Specs:WIN10, I7-4790K, ASUS RANGER VII, 16GB G.Skill DDR3, GEFORCE 1080, NVME SSD, SSD, VIRPIL T-50 THROTTLE, K-51 COLLECTIVE, MS FFB2 (CH COMBATSTICK MOD), MFG CROSSWINDS, JETPAD, RIFT S

Modules:A10C, AH-64D, AJS-37, AV8B, BF109K4, CA, F/A18C, F14, F5EII, F86F, FC3, FW190A8, FW190D9, KA50, L39, M2000C, MI8TV2, MI24P, MIG15BIS, MIG19P, MIG21BIS, MIRAGE F1, P51D, SA342, SPITFIRE, UH1H, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, CHANNEL, SYRIA

Thrustmaster TWCS Afterburner Detent
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223776

My Frankenwinder ffb2 stick

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/25/2021 at 9:49 AM, MAXsenna said:

Oh! So you're the one that snagged the last one right in front of me! emoji4.png
Just kidding!
Please tell us what you think about it when you get it!
Cheers!

I just installed that Impulse Slider and the verdict is that it works REALLY well!

OH and I have the Polymer version. I wanted the metal version but he was sold out of those. But the Polymer slider is perfect for me anyway. And my TWCS is only a few weeks old btw. It now works better that the original.

Edited by Cpt Cuckoo
  • Like 1

I just installed that Impulse Slider and the verdict is that it works REALLY well!

OH and I have the Polymer version. I wanted the metal version but he was sold out of those. But the Polymer slider is perfect for me anyway. And my TWCS is only a few weeks old btw. It now works better that the original.
Thanks for the info. I'm intrigued!

• 2 weeks later...