DCS Moving Map

Bergison

UPDATE 04.10.2023: DCS MovingMap now features many new features and includes all DCS theaters!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS MovingMap displays a moveable and scalable map along with the players own position and the position and information of other units. It follows mission view options set by the mission creator or the multiplayer server host, so only units also visible on the F10 map are shown.

More info and download on my website: https://movingmap.bergison.com

map_demo_1n.jpg     map_demo_2n.jpg     map_in_cockpitn.jpg

Features:

• Displays a scalable and moveable map of the active DCS theatre. Several different map styles are available. (Only the Caucasus map is available in the free Android version).
  • Shows your ownship position on the map together with lat/lon coordinates, as well as your altitude in feet and meters MSL (above mean sea level), the current wind at your position and remaining chaff/flares.
  • Draws other units as color-coded (friendly/enemy/neutral) symbols on the map. Callsigns, unit types and altitude are also selectable for display.
  • Observes F10 View Options set in the mission editor or in multiplayer server settings, so only allowed units will be shown (e.g. map only, player only, friendlies only or all units).
  • You can set a markpoint on the map or mark other units to display lat/lon coordinates, bearing to/from and distance to your own position.
  • Displays engagement range circles centered on active SAM launchers.
  • Has a browser for jpg/png files, so you can view your kneeboards through the app.
  • Works in single- and multiplayer.

Requirements:

• A computer running DCS World by Eagle Dynamics that can export data to DCS MovingMap.
    (See Download & Installation for how to setup DCS to export data).
  • If running DCS MovingMap on a portable device or other machine than your DCS computer, there needs to be a WLAN network connection between these devices to allow data transfer.
  • The device running DCS MovingMap needs an active internet connection.

Feedback, bug reporting and wishes for added features are highly apprechiated. Enjoy!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS MovingMap Caucasus (free version):                          DCS MovingMap (full version with Caucasus, Nevada, Syria and Gulf)

playstore.png                                                   playstore.png

NOTE: consider installing the free Caucasus version first, to try out the app and to test if your DCS data export is working!

Edited by Bergison
Update
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 6

my simpit website: bergisons.simpit.info

Hi Ozmandi, thanks for reporting this and sorry for the inconvenience! I have converted the Python script into an executable using PyInstaller. There are several reports that Windows may identifiy such files as containing viruses or trojans due to the fact that hackers sometimes use similar packing techniques.

I can confirm that I have definitely NOT hacked virus or trojan code into my software, and that I am pretty sure that this is a false warning. If you exclude DCS_MovingMap.exe from Windows defender, it should run again.

• Like 2

Just came across this handy application and works very well. Been looking for something to have on the side and I had no problems getting it up and running.  Would love to see this available to use on an Ipad for sure. 

Do you have any plans to add more features and thanks for taking the time to make this.

Fantastic tool! Really helpful for aircrafts without a map screen (i.e M2000) Did a quick test and seems to work without issues. Thanks!

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

I'm using it in VR along with OVR Toolkit, and it's very cool to have a moving map in the Huey ! Thanks !

• Like 1

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

2 hours ago, Jason32 said:

I couldn't get this to work, says no maps available, i must be doing something wrong.

Are you flying on one of these maps?

• Currently available maps: Caucasus, Nevada, Syria and Persian Gulf (auto-detect on mission start).

8 hours ago, Jason32 said:

I couldn't get this to work, says no maps available, i must be doing something wrong.

Have you checked the IP in the DCS_MovingMap_export.lua to match your PC?

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

My friends and I are having a problem with the mod, in that it cuts out our ability to use Simple Radio Standalone (SRS). Both programs end up listed in the export.lua file -- I'm assuming that it's a syntax issue. Has anyone gotten both SRS and the moving map to work in multiplayer?

Cheers,

Dances

Dances, PhD

Jet Hobo

https://v65th.wordpress.com/

Thanks for your replies, I'm glad you like it! I will try to answer some of the questions:

On 1/27/2021 at 8:28 PM, thrustvector said:

[...] this will be great once i can use on an android tab

If there is enough interest to justify the effort, I can try to make versions for iOS and Android as well.

On 1/29/2021 at 9:56 AM, Cmdrbretai said:

Do you have any plans to add more features [...]

Yes, definitely! Please post suggestions and whishes here or on my website (where the program can be downloaded). I will compile a list and work on it for future updates.

16 hours ago, TheBigTatanka said:

[...] it cuts out our ability to use Simple Radio Standalone (SRS).

Thanks for reporting this! As you found out and posted on my website, the solution seems to be to add the DCS_MovingMap lua code ABOVE the code for SRS in the export.lua file.

3 hours ago, Jason32 said:

I've put in my IP address but still comes up 'no data from DCS'.

This could have several causes, apart from verifying your IP, please also check that:

- Your network/router does not block UDP port 50000 (that's the port DCS_MovingMap uses for data transfer).

- Windows Defender does not block DCS, DCS_MovingMap or UDP port 50000 (Windows Defender Firewall should have entries for DCS and DCS_MovingMap under 'Allowed apps')

- In multiplayer: that 'Allow object export' is ticked in the advanced settings.

- If it is still not working, there might be a conflict with other addons. Please backup your original export.lua and use the fresh one from my website, which only has exports for DCS_MovingMap. If it works with that one, than it is a .lua conflict rather than a network problem.

Please continue to report found bugs and problems and don't hesitate to post wishes for added features.

2 hours ago, Jason32 said:

Goods news from me...i've finally got it working.

Time to have a play with it.

Congrats! 

Just curious - what did you have to do to get it finally working?  Others may find what you did helpful in their troubleshooting

... Cheers. 

• Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

14 hours ago, YSIAD_RIP said:

Congrats! 

Just curious - what did you have to do to get it finally working?  Others may find what you did helpful in their troubleshooting

... Cheers. 

My Norton Internet Security was blocking moving map working, so i added it to trusted programs and now it works a treat.

I look forward to seeing any improvements/additions to moving map as i think its got excellent potential. I come from a Flight Sim 2004 background of many years ago and i used to use FSNAV and this DCS moving map reminds me of it. So a big plus for my DCS flying.

Edited by Jason32
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Bergison said:

If there is enough interest to justify the effort, I can try to make versions for iOS and Android as well.

You could "simply" (I love this word ^^ ) make a webserver providing the same features as your tool, and anyone with any tablet or phone could access it easily (no need to code apps in multiple technologies).

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

3 hours ago, davidp57 said:

You could "simply" (I love this word ^^ ) make a webserver providing the same features as your tool, and anyone with any tablet or phone could access it easily (no need to code apps in multiple technologies).

That sure sounds interesting, but it has one drawback: I don't even know how to start porting my Python script to run on a web server. I did some research but it looks that it is not that "simple" at all... I know how to code html, css, javascript and php but still haven't understood half of what I found about "Python on web server"s 😕