DCS Moving Map

Bergison

2 hours ago, Bergison said:

I found a small glitch in the code, that prevented data from being sent in multiplayer. If you experience problems in multiplayer, please download the latest version from my website: https://bergisons.simpit.info/dcs_movingmap

YSIAD_RIP, that could possibly be the solution to your problem. Please try the new version!

Thanks.. Looks like the hosted version on the link is still v0.20. 

• Does the latest DCS Moving Map display another version number when installed correctly?
  • Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

14 hours ago, Bergison said:

I found a small glitch in the code, that prevented data from being sent in multiplayer. If you experience problems in multiplayer, please download the latest version from my website: https://bergisons.simpit.info/dcs_movingmap

YSIAD_RIP, that could possibly be the solution to your problem. Please try the new version!

Oh sweet. The update fixed the problem I didn't know that I had. Thank you.

Update: I just uploaded ver. 0.22 to serve a user request to add neutral coalition color coding. Neutral units are now displayed in white.

Development note: I am currently re-writing the entire code in a different Python GUI framework (kivy), which should (theoretically) also run as an app on Android and iOS systems. Stay tuned!

Any feature requests are welcome.

Edited by Bergison
update
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

my simpit website: bergisons.simpit.info

@Bergison That cool.

I  have not got mine working yet, but I place 100% fault on my "Potato" Setup. LoL. 

• If I get a chance I will try 0.22 if not I can wait for your next release.

Cheers..

• Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 3/17/2021 at 5:52 PM, Bergison said:

Update: I just uploaded ver. 0.22 to serve a user request to add neutral coalition color coding. Neutral units are now displayed in white.

Development note: I am currently re-writing the entire code in a different Python GUI framework (kivy), which should (theoretically) also run as an app on Android and iOS systems. Stay tuned!

Any feature requests are welcome.

Any updates on the rework? I have a spare android tablet itching to be a map. 

• Like 1

IL-2: sturmovik | Microsoft Flight Sim | DCS

P40 Kittyhawk - More US Please | Bush Planes - Single Prop | AV-8B - M2000C - F-5E

VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base | VPC Control Panel - #2 | VPC Constellation ALPHA-R

MFG Crosswinds | Rseat S1 | NRG FRP-600WT

On 8/26/2021 at 9:18 PM, Brevillance said:

Any updates on the rework? I have a spare android tablet itching to be a map. 

+1 here

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone and thanks for your patience regarding the announced version for Android. I had to move to a new PC due to several components of my old one failing on me. This halted development for some weeks. Other excuses are my family (with kids at home during summer holidays) and my daytime job recovering from corona... BUT:

I now got most of the functionality working with the new code and have already succeeded in exporting an Android build to my phone. Next step is to dig into the matter of publishing in the Android PlayStore (I have never done this before).

So stay tuned 😀

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2021 at 10:03 PM, Bergison said:

Hi everyone and thanks for your patience regarding the announced version for Android. I had to move to a new PC due to several components of my old one failing on me. This halted development for some weeks. Other excuses are my family (with kids at home during summer holidays) and my daytime job recovering from corona... BUT:

I now got most of the functionality working with the new code and have already succeeded in exporting an Android build to my phone. Next step is to dig into the matter of publishing in the Android PlayStore (I have never done this before).

So stay tuned 😀

Good to hear that the tool is being developed further, I'm looking forward to the update. I use MovingMap a lot and it is a great tool!

Here are a few suggestions / bug reporting:

->Syria Map-Cyprus:
The current version can only show the easternmost part of the island of Cyprus, the western part is grayed out and cannot be moved.

->Markpoints:
It would be very helpful if we can create our own markpoints that have their own lat/long for destination transmission.

-> Compass Rose:
An improved compass rose with degree display around the circle. It should also be possible that it jumps to units when you click on a friendly plane/vehicle. After pressing the "Center" button it should return to its own position.

Thanks for your great work!

Edited by [Eule-22] T-Bone

Specs: R7 3800X, 32Gb 3600Mhz, RTX 2070 S, M2 SSd 970 Pro

Equipment: microHELIS Bell 206 Pedale + Toe-Brakes, microHELIS OH-58D Collective, microHELIS OH-58D Cyclic, Realteus Forcefeel, TrackIR 5

Thanks for your input guys, I will try to add them to the upcoming release!

Exporting waypoints and mark points from the F10 map is an issue though, because they are not exported with every model through the export.lua. So I'd have to read the mission file to get them and even if I get this to work, it would only be the waypoints set in the mission editor and not those created or edited during the mission. If anybody has more expertise on how to export waypoints, I'd be greatful.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a screenshot of what the new MovingMap app is going to look like. I'm almost done with the coding, just some final refinements then I should be ready to publish it on the Android Play Store. There will be a free version with all functionality including the Caucasus map and a (very affordable) full version including Caucasus, Syria, Nevada and the Persian Gulf (the PC version with all maps will remain free). Other maps are in development, as well as an iOS version. I have added some new features and tried to implement users input and suggestions as much as possible.

dcs_movingmap_kivy.jpg

edit: just noticed that LAT/LON coordinates are not shown correctly. That's a bug I'm still working on...

Edited by Bergison
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

That's great news @Bergison!

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

This is so useful, always part of my set up and the instructions to load are very easy to follow. Great stuff.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz, 3792 Mhz, 64Gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090,

CONTROLS: VPC Rotor TCS Base, VPC Hawk-60 Collective Grip, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base, VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime [R], Thrustmaster Warthog – Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR - Pendular Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Alpha Flight Control (For Anubis C-130 Hercules), Meta Quest Pro.

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11,

UPDATE 31.10.2021: Version 1.0 of DCS_MovingMap is finally done!
As requested, this includes new features and will run on Windows AND Android!

Note: The Android version is currently under review by Google and will be available on the Play Store soon!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS_MovingMap can display a continuously updated, moveable and scalable aviation map of the current DCS World theatre with the ownship position and position of all other units/players (if allowed by the mission creator resp. the multiplayer server host) on a local screen, network computer or tablet.   

It can be used by DCS pilots for navigation ('where the hack am I?') and situational awareness ('and where is everybody else?'), or by ATC/AWACS players as a radar screen.

More info and download on my website: https://movingmap.bergison.com

map_demo_4.jpg   map_demo.jpg   map_demo_2.jpg   map_demo_3.jpg   map_in_cockpit.jpg

Features:

• Displays a scalable and moveable aviation map of the active DCS theatre, which it auto-detects on mission start. Currently available maps are: Caucasus, Nevada, Syria and Persian Gulf.
    (Only Caucasus is available in the free Android version).
  • Shows your ownship position as a symbol on the map and as lat/lon values, as well as your altitude in feet and meters MSL (above mean sea level) and the current wind at your position.
  • Draws other units as color-coded (friendly/enemy/neutral) symbols on the map. Callsigns, unit types and altitude are also selectable for display.
  • Observes F10 View Options set in the mission editor on multiplayer servers, so only allowed units will be shown (e.g. map only, player only, friendlies only or all units).
  • You can set a markpoint on the map to display its lat/lon coordinates, bearing to/from and distance to your own position.
  • Displays engagement range circles centered on active SAM launchers.
  • Works in single- and multiplayer.

Requirements:

• A computer running DCS World by Eagle Dynamics that can export data to DCS MovingMap.
    (See Download & Installation for how to setup DCS to export data).
  • If running DCS MovingMap on a portable device or other machine than your DCS computer, there needs to be a WLAN network connection between these devices to allow data transfer.

Feedback, bug reporting and wishes for added features are highly apprechiated. Enjoy!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 10/31/2021 at 5:25 PM, AdrianL said:

Will you be adding the another maps i.e. Marianas, Channel, etc?

I'd need to buy the Channel map for testing first. Planned, but only if user numbers do justify the effort of coding more maps.

In the meantime, the Android DCS MovingMap Caucasus (free version) has been released by Google:
playstore.png

Edited by Bergison
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bergison said:

I'd need to buy the Channel map for testing first. Planned, but only if user numbers do justify the effort of coding more maps.

In the meantime, the Android DCS MovingMap Caucasus (free version) has been released by Google:
playstore.png

Remember, you can trial maps and modules on standalone for 2 weeks at a time. I have found that it gives me enough time to create a baseline for the module or determine the necessary scope for when I may purchase it in the future. 

• Like 1