Struggling GPU.

MoToad

Saw a vid on a guy playing with settings in his nvidia software running taskmanager performance. His card was a GTX1080 three years ago. Mines's a 1050. flying at my current settings everything is smooth and doable but nowhere near what I'm seeing on youtube. He got his gpu usage down considerably but when I tried it I barely got a 1% difference. Mine is pretty well pinned at 100% from the getgo. I only hope the card hold up till I can grab a 1660 or even a 2060 at a decent price. Theres nothing available right nowbut I am hoping by the spring things will start to flow again. Oh ya, my bo0x is an ITX so I need a mini, doubly hard to come by.

I had an overclocked GTX 1060 3GB and it was always running at 100% with Full RAM usage.

It took a while for me to find the quality and performance settings that I could live with but in the end, it was a pretty good setup.

Here's a video showing my FPS on the Persian Gulf map.

There are A LOT of factors that go into how the game looks and performs.  Finding that sweet spot is a never ending odyssey - like searching for Moby Dick!  

I'm not certain but I think that your video card will have to run at or near 100% to get the kind of look and performance you want.

And as for your next card, if you can find a 2060 for a decent price - grab it, but you'll be able to fly just as well with the 1660.  
And it all depends on how much you are willing to pay. 

Last night I installed the EVGA Precision software and found a simple vid for safe overclocking. After setting what he used I still have the card at 99 to 100% but there has been a noticeable reduction in the temperature. So, that should help. And I do have a notice instruction at Newegg for an out of stock 1660 mini when they are back. Hangin in there.

I used MSI Afterburner to overclock my 1060. Found a great youtube video that walked me through the whole process, one of which was fine-tuning how the fan should behave at certain temps. My DCS settings were a combination of Low and Mid range settings and the graphics card temps averaged around 87\C.  It never got higher than 90C.

How hot does yours get?

On 1/25/2021 at 9:06 PM, MoToad said:

Saw a vid on a guy playing with settings in his nvidia software running taskmanager performance. His card was a GTX1080 three years ago. Mines's a 1050. flying at my current settings everything is smooth and doable but nowhere near what I'm seeing on youtube. He got his gpu usage down considerably but when I tried it I barely got a 1% difference. Mine is pretty well pinned at 100% from the getgo. I only hope the card hold up till I can grab a 1660 or even a 2060 at a decent price. Theres nothing available right nowbut I am hoping by the spring things will start to flow again. Oh ya, my bo0x is an ITX so I need a mini, doubly hard to come by.

I'm not sure what your question is? The 1050 was a terribly under powered card even when it was new.  You can try and eek out a bit more perf like you are doing but you will never get the results that the 1080 was seeing.

If you are getting decent perf with the settings you have, given the card, I would accept things as they are and move as quickly as you can to upgrade the GPU.

• 2 weeks later...