AWG-9 Radar: Target Size

Strider1_Trigger

Hi everyone, 

I wonder which target size I should use when launching the AIM-54 Phoenix. From my understanding, the target size affects the missile activation distance when launching the AIM-54 in TWS mode. With large target size, the missile will be active early which gives me the flexibility to engage other targets or go defensive. However, a early activation will give the enemy more time to react and it might be easier for the enemy to evade the missile. On the other hand, small target will make the missile to activate when it’s closer to the enemy and give the enemy less time to react but make me more susceptible for return fire (the AIM-54 won’t go active if the lock is lost before activation). 

Which target size do you think is more useful? 

If the topic is for Multiplayer.

No matter the target size setting the pitbull warning is given to the target 4-6nm away from them (depending on speed and alt) . Not when the missile actually goes active. So when using Large missile goes active at 12nm but doesnt give a warning till half of that. So use Large. This is true for all active missiles also, not just the 54.

Edited by DarksydeRob
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, DarksydeRob said:

If the topic is for Multiplayer.

No matter the target size setting the pitbull warning is given to the target 4-6nm away from them (depending on speed and alt) . Not when the missile actually goes active. So when using Large missile goes active at 12nm but doesnt give a warning till half of that. So use Large. This is true for all active missiles also, not just the 54.

That's interesting information, how did you figure it out? 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

It's not just odd, it sounds like a bug that needs fixing (if it's true) :huh:

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The luas do not control anything in regards to seeker activation on our AIM-54s, it's purely controlled in our code and we have no way of going active "halfway" with them going active and then later on activating the radar emission that rwrs see, we don't have that level of control. The only thing we can control after launch is what seekerstate the missile is in and when we tell it to go active it goes active in all regards.

So if there is a case where it indeed goes active but gives no warning that would not be caused by our code but rather a bug on EDs side. Thus far we haven't been able to reproduce this but we'll have a look.