F-14A Zone 5 Campaign info

Reflected

"Hi, I'm Dave Baranek, callsign Bio. I have twenty-five hundred flight hours as an F-14 RIO and was an instructor in the fighter tactics and weapons school for two and a half years in the 1980s. I've teamed up with Reflected Simulations to bring this training experience to DCS. Welcome to...Zone 5."

Ever since I was a kid and saw Top Gun for the first time I dreamed about being there and train with the best, flying the majestic F-14 Tomcat. Who didn't? I got closer to that fantasy than I ever dared to dream thanks to DCS World and Heatblur's amazing, high-fidelity F-14A module. Last year I had an idea how to get even closer. I'd already known Dave 'Bio' Baranek, read his amazing books about the times when he was an F-14 RIO and later a Topgun instructor, and we'd exchanged a few emails. I knew he's a great guy, very enthusiastic and helpful, so I popped the question: Would he like to team up with me, to share his fantastic experience in a bit more XXIst century way, through a DCS campaign? He said yes, and the most exciting project of my life begun. We worked together a lot to bring that 1980s air combat training experience into DCS and make it as realistic as DCS possibly allows. Over 8 months later, look and behold: the 'Zone 5' campaign. 

I'm beyond honored to have worked with Bio on this, and we're both very much looking forward to hearing your feedback.

Tomcats forever!

Zone%205_cover_Final.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

As I mentioned somewhere elso on Facebook or IG: big thanks toy you and Mr. Baranek for doeing this. Like you, I was waiting for this my whole life.

I started with the campaign and to make it clear: I am a rookie. I have a few questions and would like to put them here, in case somebody may have the same:

In the Briefings Bio refers to "lectures" and "videos". I havent found them in the campaigns order, does he just say this for the plot or are anywhere these files available? Would be great to get teached some basic stuff like: you enemys weaks spot is this and your weak spot is this - dont to that or get in this situation.

Take Off Checklist has a Item: Bi - Di. What does this mean and what does it stand for, what I do have to check? I am also wondering why to turn of SAS Roll before the fence in. What effect does this have? Gives it you some kind of advantage or more maneuverability? I am also wondering what Mils +53 mean in the same checklist.

Would be great if you reflected, or some other expierenced tomcat pilots could these things explain to me.

The only things of these i "think" i can answer is

• Bi- Di - I think its BDHI (Bearing Distance Heading Indicator)basicly is your indicator working and setup
  • SAS Roll - Those are some big ass wings, turning off SAS feels like it gives you more roll authority to overcome it but i personally don't like it so leave them on
  • Mils +53 - They are talking about the Gun Elevation Lead Setting Knob on th right panel by your knee.  Below the Steer CMD knobs you can your gun elevation to +53

Hey, thanks for the feedback. Let me answer your questions one by one:

Lectures - normally during a Topgun class you'd have LOTS of classroom trainings too. However, it's not possible in DCS, plus Bio couldn't reveal very in-depth details to make sure we don't touch anything classified. So these are referred to, like they would have been in real life briefings, but they're not part of the campaign.

HOWEVER: we included several Youtube videos for you to replace these lectures. Check the main campaign documentation pdf under mods/campaigns/F14 Zone5/doc, and scroll down to 'Lectures'. It's good to check those before starting the campaign, they add to the immersion.

Bi-Di: It's the bi-directional pump between the combined and the flight hydraulic system. Each engine generates hydraulic power, and if one system fails, the bi-di pump equalizes from the functioning one. IIRC if one side falls below 2600 psi.

Roll SAS: run a search for a post by @Victory205 he explained it really well somewhere. If I'm not mistaken, the roll SAS helps the aircraft remain stable at high AoA, this helps a lot when landing on the boat. But during a dogfight sometimes you want to slightly depart the aircraft, such as rolling with your rudder at over 15 units of AoA. If the roll SAS is on, you'd have to fight that system all the time which is not what you want when doing BFM. Or something along these lines 🙂

Mils: it's the elevation of the gun pipper, you need to set it to +53 - better do it during startup.

I'm not as much of a Tomcat expert as I'd like to be so maybe someone with more experience can chime in and correct me if I said something inaccurate. But I hope it answered your questions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The radio is done very easy as well with Vaicom. Like "Jester  push button 5" 

In general vaicom helps to immerse even deeper into the campaign.

Just have to look for a way to replies to the checklist without pressing space. Could be easyly done via voice attack / vaicom but I'm pretty confident that I'm know to replies to all challenges with the correct answer, since Jester seems to insist off using the check lists. 😉

Edited by Lt_Jaeger
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Jayhawk1971 said:

Does anyone know how to access additional steerpoints (like DP) with Vaicom AIRIO? Using this I can't access the Jester wheel.

So far I have just been skipping ELKXXX completely (by pretending I was cleared straight to BIGHORN (MOOSE on egress).

Here is what I use with Viacom Pro page 71

https://www.vaicompro.com/uploads/7/5/4/3/75436709/vaicom_pro_user_manual.pdf

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try them. The "Jester...options" thing sounds promising! 

Probably could also just use the TACAN 12x radial, but a wide left banking turn towards Bighorn seems to be close enough. 🙂 

@FroZone Could you please elaborate more on what you are doing? So far I have been using the "navigate" voice commands, but AFAIK "DP" is hidden in a sub-menu and I had no idea how to tell Jester to navigate to it. If I understood right, "restore" seems to simply restore the original coordinates if one manually changed them during the mission. And I have no idea what "map marker" does. 🤷‍♂️

@Lt_Jaeger Please let me know if you find a solution using Vaicom to acknowledge the checklist. Especially in the traffic pattern I'd rather have both hands at the controls than smashing the space bar in between dirtying up my aircraft. 🙂

7 minutes ago, Jayhawk1971 said:

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try them. The "Jester...options" thing sounds promising! 

Probably could also just use the TACAN 12x radial, but a wide left banking turn towards Bighorn seems to be close enough. 🙂 

@FroZone Could you please elaborate more on what you are doing? So far I have been using the "navigate" voice commands, but AFAIK "DP" is hidden in a sub-menu and I had no idea how to tell Jester to navigate to it. If I understood right, "restore" seems to simply restore the original coordinates if one manually changed them during the mission. And I have no idea what "map marker" does. 🤷‍♂️

What you can do is to put a map marker (that round thing in the top bar of the F10 map) over ELKXXX. In cockpit you order "Jester - Map Maker 1 to e.g Steerpoint 1". He punches the coordinates of the map market to wp 1 and you can navigate to it. 

On the way back, after you passed ELKXXX you could order "Jester - restore St 1" and he reverts back to the old coordinate. Actually you don't need wp1 if I'm not mistaken but just to be thru out on that idea. 

For the acknowledge I will think about something that fits my idea of replying correctly.