More texture options for fine tuning the graphics to get better performance without significantly reducing visual quality.

kr0nik

Currently, as of DCS build 2.5.6.60645 Open Beta, we get two options for selecting our texture preferences in graphics menu:-

1. Texture - The setting which affects the textures of arcrafts and spawnable units.

2. Terrain textures - The setting that affects the textures of the terrain.

My suggestion is to divide the settings further into the following categories so that people can fine tune their settings to get the optimal performance/quality balance according to their system:-

1. Aircraft Textures - Textures of your, other player's and AI aircraft.
2. Ground Unit Textures - Textures of ground units and other spawnable units like ships and aircraft carriers

(If 1 and 2 aren't possible, they can be grouped together in a Spawnable Unit category)

3. Airfield Textures - Textures of the airfield including the tarmac surfaces, runways, taxiways, buildings, static objects, etc.

4. Terrain Textures - Textures of the ground APART from the airfield.

I believe precious memory could be saved by doing this as people can just turn down the textures they don't want to look pretty and keep high the ones they do.

For example, I would keep everything except terrain textures to high as I want the airfield that I'm at/taking off from/landing at to look nice, but I don't care how the ground beneath the grass looks, it could be low texture.

18 hours ago, fox2012 said:

I don't think the texture resolution can affect fps very much(because they are "static") if you have a decent GPU core. Its settings more depend on the capacity of VRAM and RAM.

But it definitely affects RAM usage. You can increase preload distance, even if by a tiny bit, with the memory that's freed up by not loading a large part of the map in high quality.

For people with monster rigs, this isn't that big, maybe even unconsequential, but for people playing on relatively modest rigs it has the potential to bring substantial performance improvements.

On 1/28/2021 at 11:21 AM, kr0nik said:

Currently, as of DCS build 2.5.6.60645 Open Beta, we get two options for selecting our texture preferences in graphics menu:-

1. Texture - The setting which affects the textures of arcrafts and spawnable units.

2. Terrain textures - The setting that affects the textures of the terrain.

My suggestion is to divide the settings further into the following categories so that people can fine tune their settings to get the optimal performance/quality balance according to their system:-

1. Aircraft Textures - Textures of your, other player's and AI aircraft.
2. Ground Unit Textures - Textures of ground units and other spawnable units like ships and aircraft carriers

(If 1 and 2 aren't possible, they can be grouped together in a Spawnable Unit category)

3. Airfield Textures - Textures of the airfield including the tarmac surfaces, runways, taxiways, buildings, static objects, etc.

4. Terrain Textures - Textures of the ground APART from the airfield.

I believe precious memory could be saved by doing this as people can just turn down the textures they don't want to look pretty and keep high the ones they do.

For example, I would keep everything except terrain textures to high as I want the airfield that I'm at/taking off from/landing at to look nice, but I don't care how the ground beneath the grass looks, it could be low texture.

i found not using any filters from dcs helps a lot, i put these filters on but from the nvidia geforce panel. also the latest windows feature update helps against stuttering especially when people are connecting to a server.