VKB TECS: MODULARITY FULL AHEAD

AeroGator

DSC07235.jpg

Somewhere we heard a word that the community is getting impatient about the throttle.

Somewhere we heard a word that the community needs a reliable, universal, user-friendly throttle.

Plus, we knew without anyone telling us that the community needs it for a sane price.

Here the quest began.

First thing, we were not aiming at producing a throttle somewhat better than that of other manufacturers.

Because, detents.

Because, mending and enhancing an outdated-at-birth system would be a waste in a situation when the market was screaming for a radically new solution (teaser; more below).

TL/DR: Picture is not a 3d model but a physical photo of a devkit; Real base will be different from the picture due to secrecy; Virus took its toll; TECS is not going to be released by end of lunar year; TECS is entering production stage; TECS is a radically new device offering a bunch of new-standard-setting features; If you can't wait for TECS now, we will see you later, anyway.

"Booooo, arc design!!" - have patience, and read to the end. Rails are also coming.

More than a few prototypes were made, and more than a few solutions were tried and rejected. One thing however remained invariably: modularity. The user should be able to configure his own device to satisfy his very own needs. Hence, different base modules, an array of grips, interchangeable add-on modules, etc.

Here goes TECS.

Grips (module).

DSC07238.jpg

Ergonomics and dimensions closely follow those of Su-35 and Su-57 real life planes, only slightly retouched by our designers to optimize game simulator experience.

Not only grips are a separate module, but they also are built with modularity in mind. Let's look into it: right grip, top: interchangeable hat/ministick, same principle as in MCGU. Plus, interchangeable new optional modules: button/5-pos hat/3-pos hat. Plus, interchangeable different caps for all these modules.

No mess with replacing the modules: the grip onboard microcontroller will automatically determine its configuration, and will set up accordingly.

Hand feeling and ergonomics: the lip on the left grip will not let the hand slip off, while the lip on the right one doubles as a thumbrest, at the same time preventing the top row modules from getting accidentally hit.

Top surface sports soft rubber pads made the same way as those of MCGU; moreover - we did the same to the rolling surface of both left and right (pressable) encoder wheels.

Needless to say, both grips can be fixed in one with a reliable and sturdy lock.

LEFT grip controls:

• encoder wheel - 1

• button - 1

• 3-pos switch - 1

• Interchangeable button module - 1

RIGHT grip controls:

• pressable encoder wheel - 1

• button - 1

• interchangeable button module - 5

• Hat/ministick module - 1

Enough about grips? - nearly so. Worth mentioning though that modern combat aviation grips will be released first, but civil aviation grips and their space sim cousins are slated to follow.

Moving on to the base (module).

DSC07239.jpg

• Main axis dumpers conveniently located in the front of the casing.

• Two additional levers working as axes or switches (similar to those in SEM).

These are nice things but not a breakthrough. The proper breakthrough comes right below....

ELECTRONIC detents. A landslide change of the rules of the game. We are turning the old page over.

Now: programmable detents. YOU will set detents position as well as their type (warning tactile click or hard limit, one- or two-way detent).

Electronic detents are now being patented. For this reason we cannot show the final design of the base here (but it exists already). Actual base will have a lot more controls than shown in the picture of the devkit, and we will sure flash it shortly before the device goes onto the shops' shelves.There is also one more thing up our sleeve that we are not going to elaborate here - but rest assured it will considerably expand the functionality and ergonomics of the base.

Advantages:

• Mechanical detents bite out quite some working range of the main axis. One detent for idle, another for afterburn - oops, 10-15% of the range gone (due to dead zone in the neighborhood of the detent). Electronic detents will spare much of this waste.

• Subtle movement around the detent point are hard to manage in mech detent system. Electronic detents cancel this problem altogether: they have practically zero width, and deactivate momentarily.

• Mechanical detents have to be strong. In the heat of the combat it is so easy to smash the grips into the limit. Electronic detent will detect overload, and will deactivate automatically.

• Electronic detents' force can be adjusted.

• The last, the sweetest: electronic detent settings are stored in the TECS controller. You switch the aircraft, or move on to a different game - just flip a switch on the base to choose different detent settings, easy as this. Forget screwing with mechanicals, and readjusting dead zones, leave them to history. Moreover, we're going to provide the APIs to game designers, so that the games would automatically set necessary detents. Not bad, we believe.

DSC07246.jpg

OK, versions? Prices?

1 - ARC STANDARD. Grips like in the picture, but with considerably more controls on the base, with "classic" mechanical detents. However, as electronic detents are now entering the market, we feel unfair to ask anything more than 200 bucks for such construction. Hence, RRP = 200 USD.

• - WHY ARC???? We were waiting for RAILS!!! THAT'S WHAT YOU PROMISED!!!

• - ARC is what is used in real aviation. We held extensive consultations with active pilots and engineers working for real aviation corporations. Even conservative Russian aircraft makers such as MIG and Sukhoi turned to arc throttles. However, if we promised, we deliver. Read to the end.

DSC07226.jpg

2 - ARC PREMIUM. Electronic detents and a couple of outstandingly sweet extras. RRP US$ 350-400.

3 - RAIL. Only offered as PREMIUM. All the same as ARC PREMIUM, except linear movt. This version will be released the last due to extra complex detent solution for such layout. RRP US$ 400-450.

- CAN I plug additional modules that I already have into TECS?

DSC07236.jpg

- Ja, ja. Naturlich. GNX external modules, as well as external panels VKB will produce specifically for TECS will be supported by the device. Just plug them into front panel jacks. See the picture, it is something like TECS+FSM modern combat DIY modification based on the fantasy of our engineer.

- STOP. ENOUGH TALKING. SHUT UP ALREADY. TAKE MY....

- STOP it, too. 2020 wasn't the best of all years. No one needs explanation, or does anyone? VKB had our share of losses, some irreparable. We're keeping our bereavement private; please spare us from prodding. For more than a year some of our key engineers cannot come to China, and not everything can be done online. China cancelled many previously issued working visas. Still, we are pushing ahead. TECS is coming. Next announcement will be about the official launch of the so long awaited throttle. When time comes.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

>

Best Regards from VKB Lair,

AeroGator

Wow all looking very nice! Programmable electronic detents are certainly interesting, plus interchangeable hats like on Ultimate Grip is a very nice feature.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Awesome stuff VKB! I can't wait to see what the final product looks like!

As for rails, that's kinda what I was banking on anyway, they do have an advantage in being more mechanically simple, plus if we're doing interchangeable grips, there might be the possibility of extending them for more resolution.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Can you speak any more about the modular button system (cost? options?) and the mechanical detent on the standard version? Fingerlift, push through, adjustable?

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

The Rail version is sounding really good at the moment.

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

1 hour ago, Outlaw24 said:

The Rail version is sounding really good at the moment.

Agreed. This arc version visually reminds me too much of the Virpil CM2/3 throttles and in that design I get the impression that the base of rotation is set high so there's more handle rotation then I'd be comfortable with, unlike e.g. with Warthog throttle. Plus, it's rather ungainly looking with those high mounted handles and a very small base, IMHO.

Fortunately, 1) a rails version will come as well, and 2) this is a prototype, whereas the production base will supposedly end up being much larger to house the extra controls. 

Edited by Dudikoff
  • Like 2

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Exactly. All throttles, with exception of the WinWing one, have way too short lever arms, this is the main reason, why the rail version have so much appeal to me - it is a compromise, between the "desktop size", and realistic handle rotation. The ARC looks to have the throttle levers way to short for my liking. If I can modify it to have them at realistic length - great. If not - rails it is.

Edited by Sundowner.pl

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If a place needs helicopters, it's probably not worth visiting." - Nick Lappos

If an arc is what is used in real jets, why would I want a rail instead? Genuine question from a beginner, why is this controversial?

ETA: never mind, someone posted the answer just before I posted the question. 😛

Edited by KWard

28 minutes ago, Sundowner.pl said:

Exactly. All throttles, with exception of the WinWing one, have way too short lever arms, this is the main reason, why the rail version have so much appeal to me - it is a compromise, between the "desktop size", and realistic handle rotation. The ARC looks to have the throttle levers way to short for my liking. If I can modify it to have them at realistic length - great. If not - rails it is.

The grips are interchangeable by the looks of things; in the prototype above you can see a set of screws on each; it looks like an extension could be a very real possibility.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

39 minutes ago, WelshZeCorgi said:

I'm still kinda confused about the whole electronic detent means. If its not a physical detent, what is providing the physical, tactile feedback of actually hitting and moving past the detent?

I imagine something like an electromagnet

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

System:

1 minute ago, Sandy said:

Will there also be a good looking version, like the one shown in 2017? This "clog" looks to me as if it was from CH.

It's a prototype, the real base will have much more controls.

System:

My only complaint about the look so far is the scroll encoder + pushbutton low on the right side, making it entirely grey plastic is not very appealing. Easy enough to change though, certainly not a big deal.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

1 hour ago, kengou said:

My only complaint about the look so far is the scroll encoder + pushbutton low on the right side, making it entirely grey plastic is not very appealing. Easy enough to change though, certainly not a big deal.

I kinda agree, really draws the eye and not in a good way. 

On 1/28/2021 at 6:12 PM, KWard said:

If an arc is what is used in real jets, why would I want a rail instead? Genuine question from a beginner, why is this controversial?

ETA: never mind, someone posted the answer just before I posted the question. 😛

What wasn't answered to your question, is that the old Soviet aircraft had rail designs.

s-l1600.jpg

SU-Throttle-2.jpg

Those are MiG-23 and Su-27 throttles. Notice as well how long the rail range is when you compare it to the grip size. That is about 30-35 cm so it is huge range for accurate thrust control without automatic throttle controller like in Su-33 (Su-27K) or latest Su-35S (Su-27M2).

I will take the rail design over the tilting ones. As I got enough experience with all of them as you can't find a good holding position with tilting one and the rail design allows for me easier handling and improved accuracy. This is why I have hold on so far with the Thrustmaster TWS and CH Pro Throttle as they have been only ones on market and when VKB announced the rail design, I was fully dedicated for that and skipping the Virpil offerings.

I must say I was little confused for few seconds about the announcement, until read that readers should read to end and got happy that they didn't abandon the rail design.

Su-35S tilting throttle:

10679874265_a21595df45_o.jpg

Notice the levers height and the range. There is not much to move as angular axis but the length gives better range. What is problem in these tilting throttles that they do not offer extension to the grips so they need to give extra angles that turns the grips to odd wrist positions. If VKB can provide extensions (like why not, it is modular after all and few digital pins between base and grips?) that will allow longer throw with smaller angle change, then it might be OK.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

2 hours ago, Aurelius said:

The first throttle aside from the CH Pro Throttle to correctly place a microstick at the thumb. The thumb has more innervation at the somatosensory cortex than the forefinger ....

... And yes, absolutely rails because hand position and pressure does not change relative to the throw. 

Totally agree with that mini-stick position being far better with the thumb.

I have hold on two rail throttles, Thrustmaster TWS and CH Pro Throttle. The TWS is amazing when paired with the DCS: Hornet, it just fits perfectly with it, why I have hold on to it after all 767a dampening lubrication (roll axis, pedal axis, slider) that totally changed it to pleasant to use.

But that index finger mini-stick still drives crazy. It works fine in Hornet, but in others it really don't. Why the CH offers great feeling and accuracy to be able use it with thumb. Sadly it is as well lacking the two extra buttons I would need, but as well adding same dampening crease, it is amazing feeling. Even when the CH has shorter throw, the dampening crease made it feel like 2x longer as you increase the accuracy in movement and the physical dampening effect requires to put little effort to it.

35 minutes ago, WelshZeCorgi said:

I kinda agree, really draws the eye and not in a good way. 

If it comes with a swappable head to black, it is great. But based to the photo I think it will be function before design - meaning it will be easy to rotate and press with a thumb as it has those nice notches and good edge grip etc.

52 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

Also VKB, not that I speak for everyone, ... but for myself, ... ditch the gray and white buttons, knobs, etc ....   If this thing is a $400 high end throttle, ... it needs to be $400 high-end all black, ... including the hat switches, buttons, knobs, make my wife disappear switch, etc ....

Yeah, better to stick with black/red personally

• Like 1

System:

I hadn't thought about the hand position not changing when using a rail before, I think it's a very good point. I'm currently used to using a TWS rail throttle so I think I will be holding out for the VKB rail version too. As for modern jets using tilt throttles, not all do, I believe the upcoming Eurofighter Typhoon uses a rail, to name but one?

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, Aurelius said:

Also VKB, not that I speak for everyone, ... but for myself, ... ditch the gray and white buttons, knobs, etc ....   If this thing is a $400 high end throttle, ... it needs to be $400 high-end all black, ... including the hat switches, buttons, knobs, make my wife disappear switch, etc ....

I do not mind about the grey buttons, but that grey rotary at the bottom is little odd. But as I said, give option to have a swap heads and all OK.

I do like the contrast of a few light grey buttons on black controller, but I do understand that not all do so having change to get it almost black is nice.

2 hours ago, Aurelius said:

Make my wife disappear button for $400....where do I get that button

PC: 9980XE @ 64GB RAM /2080Ti, Samsung C49RG90

Joystick bases: VKB GFIII, FSSB R3L, Brunner CLS-E, Virpil Mongoos CM2

Joystick grips: Realsimulator (F-18CGRH, F-16SGRH-CE), VKB (MCG Pro, F-14, KG-12), Virpil Warbrd

Throttles: Virpil CM2, Kantorrin,

Other: TrackIR, TM MFDx2 (Cubesim Screenx2), Virpil Control Panel 1

An interesting teaser with more hints in the text but need to see the final detail. I have the VKB gunfighter and the F14 and KG12 grip and honestly believe that the quality is the best out there. The clutches, to me damping, on the gunfighter is a good innovation and aid the use without being a gimmick, so I am looking forward to the “potential”. As a user quality and functionality beat aesthetics every day, just look at that A10. As another commentator has said please make sure that it fits in the MonsterTech mounts for both the throttle and the add on panels 

PC: 9980XE @ 64GB RAM /2080Ti, Samsung C49RG90

Joystick bases: VKB GFIII, FSSB R3L, Brunner CLS-E, Virpil Mongoos CM2

Joystick grips: Realsimulator (F-18CGRH, F-16SGRH-CE), VKB (MCG Pro, F-14, KG-12), Virpil Warbrd

Throttles: Virpil CM2, Kantorrin,

Other: TrackIR, TM MFDx2 (Cubesim Screenx2), Virpil Control Panel 1