VKB TECS: MODULARITY FULL AHEAD

AeroGator

3 hours ago, Aurelius said:

Also VKB, not that I speak for everyone, ... but for myself, ... ditch the gray and white buttons, knobs, etc ....   If this thing is a $400 high end throttle, ... it needs to be $400 high-end all black, ... including the hat switches, buttons, knobs, make my wife disappear switch, etc ....

You mean you would like them to do what they already did with the new Ultimate Grip?

Offer extra black caps to replace the colored ones? Or alternate hat switches? 

Since they have already done it with the new grip, I would not be surprised to see them do it in this new throttle. I would probably be more surprised if they didn't now that they have opened this barn door.

My new Ultimate Grip changed out with black caps they supplied as extra:

I also changed out that round POV on the left with a 4way + Push hat they supplied as extra also.

So seems they are already ahead of you.

vRKMSOe.jpg

Funnily enough though I did not realize the color black denoted a higher value in a product over other colors. But for me I do think it looks cooler.  I am sure there are many that would prefer the white or red or gray. Different strokes...

Nice that VKB gives us these options.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

3 hours ago, Fri13 said:

If it comes with a swappable head to black, it is great. But based to the photo I think it will be function before design - meaning it will be easy to rotate and press with a thumb as it has those nice notches and good edge grip etc.

I mean I'll still buy it. If it ends up bugging me that much, I'll buy the first standalone throttle grips and use those or mix and match them up. 

Edited by WelshZeCorgi

DSC07235.thumb.jpg.32295d6945fd3a55cf8931d2bbddbc9f.jpg

Somewhere we heard a word that the community is getting impatient about the throttle.

Somewhere we heard a word that the community needs a reliable, universal, user-friendly throttle.

Plus, we knew without anyone telling us that the community needs it for a sane price.

Here the quest began.

First thing, we were not aiming at producing a throttle somewhat better than that of other manufacturers.

Because, detents.

Because, mending and enhancing an outdated-at-birth system would be a waste in a situation when the market was screaming for a radically new solution (teaser; more below).

TL/DR: Picture is not a 3d model but a physical photo of a devkit; Real base will be different from the picture due to secrecy; Virus took its toll; TECS is not going to be released by end of lunar year; TECS is entering production stage; TECS is a radically new device offering a bunch of new-standard-setting features; If you can't wait for TECS now, we will see you later, anyway.

"Booooo, arc design!!" - have patience, and read to the end. Rails are also coming.

More than a few prototypes were made, and more than a few solutions were tried and rejected. One thing however remained invariably: modularity. The user should be able to configure his own device to satisfy his very own needs. Hence, different base modules, an array of grips, interchangeable add-on modules, etc.

Here goes TECS.

Grips (module).

DSC07238.thumb.jpg.6b71a7dbb2504eb7fcfd7c056ab709b0.jpg

Ergonomics and dimensions closely follow those of Su-35 and Su-57 real life planes, only slightly retouched by our designers to optimize game simulator experience.

Not only grips are a separate module, but they also are built with modularity in mind. Let's look into it: right grip, top: interchangeable hat/ministick, same principle as in MCGU. Plus, interchangeable new optional modules: button/5-pos hat/3-pos hat. Plus, interchangeable different caps for all these modules.

No mess with replacing the modules: the grip onboard microcontroller will automatically determine its configuration, and will set up accordingly.

Hand feeling and ergonomics: the lip on the left grip will not let the hand slip off, while the lip on the right one doubles as a thumbrest, at the same time preventing the top row modules from getting accidentally hit.

Top surface sports soft rubber pads made the same way as those of MCGU; moreover - we did the same to the rolling surface of both left and right (pressable) encoder wheels.

Needless to say, both grips can be fixed in one with a reliable and sturdy lock.

LEFT grip controls:

• encoder wheel - 1

• button - 1

• 3-pos switch - 1

• Interchangeable button module - 1

RIGHT grip controls:

• pressable encoder wheel - 1

• button - 1

• interchangeable button module - 5

• Hat/ministick module - 1

Enough about grips? - nearly so. Worth mentioning though that modern combat aviation grips will be released first, but civil aviation grips and their space sim cousins are slated to follow.

Moving on to the base (module).

DSC07239.thumb.jpg.855e8a850501fbbd28d7ff8e4d085ffe.jpg

• Main axis dumpers conveniently located in the front of the casing.

• Two additional levers working as axes or switches (similar to those in SEM).

These are nice things but not a breakthrough. The proper breakthrough comes right below....

ELECTRONIC detents. A landslide change of the rules of the game. We are turning the old page over.

Now: programmable detents. YOU will set detents position as well as their type (warning tactile click or hard limit, one- or two-way detent).

Electronic detents are now being patented. For this reason we cannot show the final design of the base here (but it exists already). Actual base will have a lot more controls than shown in the picture of the devkit, and we will sure flash it shortly before the device goes onto the shops' shelves.There is also one more thing up our sleeve that we are not going to elaborate here - but rest assured it will considerably expand the functionality and ergonomics of the base.

Advantages:

• Mechanical detents bite out quite some working range of the main axis. One detent for idle, another for afterburn - oops, 10-15% of the range gone (due to dead zone in the neighborhood of the detent). Electronic detents will spare much of this waste.

• Subtle movement around the detent point are hard to manage in mech detent system. Electronic detents cancel this problem altogether: they have practically zero width, and deactivate momentarily.

• Mechanical detents have to be strong. In the heat of the combat it is so easy to smash the grips into the limit. Electronic detent will detect overload, and will deactivate automatically.

• Electronic detents' force can be adjusted.

• The last, the sweetest: electronic detent settings are stored in the TECS controller. You switch the aircraft, or move on to a different game - just flip a switch on the base to choose different detent settings, easy as this. Forget screwing with mechanicals, and readjusting dead zones, leave them to history. Moreover, we're going to provide the APIs to game designers, so that the games would automatically set necessary detents. Not bad, we believe.

DSC07246.thumb.jpg.1a8e0320648418ee33c574c180900c6a.jpg

OK, versions? Prices?

1 - ARC STANDARD. Grips like in the picture, but with considerably more controls on the base, with "classic" mechanical detents. However, as electronic detents are now entering the market, we feel unfair to ask anything more than 200 bucks for such construction. Hence, RRP = 200 USD.

• - WHY ARC???? We were waiting for RAILS!!! THAT'S WHAT YOU PROMISED!!!

• - ARC is what is used in real aviation. We held extensive consultations with active pilots and engineers working for real aviation corporations. Even conservative Russian aircraft makers such as MIG and Sukhoi turned to arc throttles. However, if we promised, we deliver. Read to the end.

DSC07226.thumb.jpg.cecffda0623cc41c2d01fe0c687981cd.jpg

2 - ARC PREMIUM. Electronic detents and a couple of outstandingly sweet extras. RRP US$ 350-400.

3 - RAIL. Only offered as PREMIUM. All the same as ARC PREMIUM, except linear movt. This version will be released the last due to extra complex detent solution for such layout. RRP US$ 400-450.

- CAN I plug additional modules that I already have into TECS?

DSC07236.thumb.jpg.f65ac745e48dcd311d464e70ace84e1a.jpg

- Ja, ja. Naturlich. GNX external modules, as well as external panels VKB will produce specifically for TECS will be supported by the device. Just plug them into front panel jacks. See the picture, it is something like TECS+FSM modern combat DIY modification based on the fantasy of our engineer.

- STOP. ENOUGH TALKING. SHUT UP ALREADY. TAKE MY....

- STOP it, too. 2020 wasn't the best of all years. No one needs explanation, or does anyone? VKB had our share of losses, some irreparable. We're keeping our bereavement private; please spare us from prodding. For more than a year some of our key engineers cannot come to China, and not everything can be done online. China cancelled many previously issued working visas. Still, we are pushing ahead. TECS is coming. Next announcement will be about the official launch of the so long awaited throttle. When time comes.

Pls VKB, give the base plate design to Monstertech in advance so they could produce a base attachment for their desktop mount and so have them available for the launch

Inviato dal mio BLA-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

On 1/29/2021 at 11:33 PM, dburne said:

I also changed out that round POV on the left with a 4way + Push hat they supplied as extra also.

So seems they are already ahead of you.

But.... But....

But.... Why?

Why did you swap the Mini-stick + Push to a 4-way + Push when you can just press and hold the Mini-stick to make it 4-way or 8-way POV with Push?

Like, if you do not need that tactile "click" with short throw, the mini-stick with smooth movement is more than just capable emulate those 4-way hats for Viper, Warthog or Hornet etc...

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

20 minutes ago, Fri13 said:

But.... But....

But.... Why?

Why did you swap the Mini-stick + Push to a 4-way + Push when you can just press and hold the Mini-stick to make it 4-way or 8-way POV with Push?

Like, if you do not need that tactile "click" with short throw, the mini-stick with smooth movement is more than just capable emulate those 4-way hats for Viper, Warthog or Hornet etc...

Yeah, my ministick at the top centre of the stick (looking like a trim button), is set up to be a 8-way hat switch.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

50 minutes ago, Fri13 said:

But.... But....

But.... Why?

Cause for me I like the 4 way buttons plus push hat better.

:smilewink:

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Cause for me I like the 4 way buttons plus push hat better.

:smilewink:

The same here, never really like the feel of the minit-stick, the four way+push feel a lot better.  I guess it all about personal preference.

• Like 1

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

can we buy ufc buttons panel seperately?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

On 2/1/2021 at 8:54 PM, ebabil said:

can we buy ufc buttons panel seperately?

Most likely.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 4 months later...
On 7/2/2021 at 9:34 PM, blunt_waco said:

Good Lord, others are making collectives and you're still on your throttle since 2017!! Come on man!!

True, but on paper, this will be the most advanced and versatile throttle on the market.  "Paper" being the operative word though as it currently stands.

I have concerns about the reliability of electronic detents versus mechanical detents, but only time will tell on that.

Given the recent delay, I think I am going to go ahead get the CM3 and then still get the TECS when available as I sure want to give it a go.  Having one or the other as a backup throttle won't exactly be a bad option.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, zcaa0g said:

True, but on paper, this will be the most advanced and versatile throttle on the market.  "Paper" being the operative word though as it currently stands.

I have concerns about the reliability of electronic detents versus mechanical detents, but only time will tell on that.

Given the recent delay, I think I am going to go ahead get the CM3 and then still get the TECS when available as I sure want to give it a go.  Having one or the other as a backup throttle won't exactly be a bad option.

That is pretty much what I have done and plan on doing.

• Thanks 1

Don B

2 hours ago, dburne said:

That is pretty much what I have done and plan on doing.

Are you going to go the arc or rail direction for the VKB throttle?  I'm thinking rail since the CM3 is an arc already, but not completely sure yet as I want to make sure the rail has a relevant enough amount of more travel distance compared to the arc.

5 hours ago, zcaa0g said:

Are you going to go the arc or rail direction for the VKB throttle?  I'm thinking rail since the CM3 is an arc already, but not completely sure yet as I want to make sure the rail has a relevant enough amount of more travel distance compared to the arc.

Not positive but I am inclined to go with the arc.

Don B

On 7/3/2021 at 5:34 AM, blunt_waco said:

Good Lord, others are making collectives and you're still on your throttle since 2017!! Come on man!!

You know what are differences to others in VKB design?

Sure the collective would be a nice one from VKB, but it is not so big demand even when it is now popular.

VKB has schedule problem, they should had the throttle out 2018 but..... What can be done?

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

On 7/7/2021 at 11:15 AM, zcaa0g said:

Latest "rumors" (Reddit/Hotassay two version in arc, one with physical detents, other with electronic detents, and a 'premium' rail (sliding) version, with electronics detents.

Expect three versions: two with 'quadrant' (moving in arc) main axes (one physical detente, one electronic detente) and the premium rail (sliding movement) with electronic detente. 

It seems that "electronic detents" don't work as expected in early tests.

Edited by Sokol1_br

1 minute ago, Sokol1_br said:

Latest "rumors" (Reddit/Hotas) say two version in arc, one with physical detents, other with electronic detents, and a 'premium' rail (sliding) version, with electronics detents.

It's all in the first post of this thread.

But yes, this seems to be what's happening. 2 arc like versions, one with electronic detents, the other with mechanical, and a rail like throttle, only with electronic detents.

System:

On 7/7/2021 at 3:56 PM, Fri13 said:

You know what are differences to others in VKB design?

Sure the collective would be a nice one from VKB, but it is not so big demand even when it is now popular.

VKB has schedule problem, they should had the throttle out 2018 but..... What can be done?

I do, but VKB will always lag behind, for instance, Virpil releasing the collective while VKB working on their first throttle but that's not it, later Virpil might be releasing a new hardware and VKB would be working on a collective, so forth. I get it VBK wants to design and produce the best hardware, but VKB being the oldest company out there with tons of experience making hardware should not be taking 4+ years to make a collective throttle, it just doesn't look good.

By the way, I own VKB joystick and I love it, I would buy another one if it breaks but if I need a collective today to fly the Apache or the Hind, I'm not waiting for VKB. I also have the first Virpil throttle with zero issues since, and I'm thinking of buying the CM3.

Edited by blunt_waco
  • Like 1

Its all conjecture, but there is a new TECS placeholder on the AU VKB site.  And the AU Store emailed out, today, saying they hope for information on TECS "soon".

Also today, the AU site added additional pieces to the store - some spare parts and additional base/grip options.  I doubt they would add a TECS placeholder page, unless something was close.

Again, just conjecture.

Hmm something may be brewing, VKB NA site was down for maintenance for a short bit this am, and currently I can not connect to the VKB forums.

• Like 1

Don B

Please guys calm down. Our Australian shop is new, and naturally to make the shop look more "full", sometimes its shelves are filled with placeholders. Give him some understanding.

ALSO there was a miscommunication issue: the dealer was asking us about the throttle quadrant (which is a side extension module for Gladiator NXT) and quoted our reply as if it was about TECS. Needless to say, those are two different devices.

Please rest assured: it is VKB HQ, and only VKB HQ, who will announce the arrival of any device. Here, at DCS forums, and at our own home forum. And maybe at BBC, CNN, and Fox, should they send their reporters to talk with us.

We're on it. It will come when ready. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

>

Best Regards from VKB Lair,

AeroGator