Do you use the real natops manuals?

Bog9y

Hi guys, 

Just wondering , do you use the real AV8B manuals which are available online? 

I'm just curious how usable they are with the DCS module? 

I am just starting to learn the module and using those real manuals and was wondering if I am in for a frustrating and disappointing experience or are the manuals usable?   

Edited by Bbow

1 hour ago, Bbow said:

Hi guys, 

Just wondering , do you use the real AV8B manuals which are available online? 

I'm just curious how usable they are with the DCS module? 

I am just starting to learn the module and using those real manuals and was wondering if I am in for a frustrating and disappointing experience or are the manuals usable?   

Hi,

I haven't yet done it with the Harrier, but on other aircrafts I have enjoyed contrasting the Manuals of the real thing with what's simulated on DCS. I usually summarize the NATOP's manuals to give them a bit more detail and add DCS specific notes, I also color-code my notes: blue for things that can be ommited on the game and violet for things that are not simulated. I'm attaching a sample I did for the Tomcat, to give you an idea of how that looks like.

Keep in mind that the manual available online usually cover just flying the aircraft, they don't cover tactical stuff like Radar, IFF, or Weapons usage.

Cheers,

Eduardo

PS: If you wonder why my document has such a large font size, it's because I made it this way to work better when placed on the kneeboard, like this:

o37iZOX.jpg

F-14B - Normal Procedures - 2 Prestart, Start.pdf

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Yes, I use Natops extensively for mission profiles, fuel consumption comparison and to find out how the stuff actually works in real life.

Invaluable reading.

• Thanks 1

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Hi Rudel, wow, that file is very handy. Are they available for download and have you done this for other aircraft too?

I have only been flying the F16 since I got into DCS, used to fly Falcon BMS. Although the DCS Viper is good and usable, the lack of features and some bugs have made it too frustrating to use for me.  I decided to try the Harrier and see how that goes. I think as far as reality & completion, the main module for realism is the A10C, right? And perhaps the F14?

If you do plan on making one for the AV8B I would be happy to help. 

Just now, Holbeach said:

Yes, I use Natops extensively for mission profiles, fuel consumption comparison and to find out how the stuff actually works in real life.

Invaluable reading.

Holbeach  , are there many things that make the module frustrating to use? Does it differ a lot from the real manuals?

I have only just done a full cockpit setup and startup,  as far as I can tell it's all pretty accurate to the real thing. 

25 minutes ago, Bbow said:

Hi Rudel, wow, that file is very handy. Are they available for download and have you done this for other aircraft too?

Hi, 

I've done several, but most are not good enough in formatting to be shared, for example I attach one I did for the MiG-19.

Here are a few that I did share on ED's User Files:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/index.php?set_filter=Y&arrFilter_pf[filetype]=41&arrFilter_pf[gameversion]=&arrFilter_pf[filelang]=&arrFilter_pf[aircraft]=&arrFilter_DATE_CREATE_1_DAYS_TO_BACK=&CREATED_BY=rudel-chw&sort_by_order=TIMESTAMP_X_DESC&set_filter=Filter

25 minutes ago, Bbow said:

... I think as far as reality & completion, the main module for realism is the A10C, right? And perhaps the F14? 

Yes, the A-10C is so well done that I understand the Air National Guard used it to train cadets ... it's probably the only DCS Module that has a fully modeled CDU, the equivalent one on the F-18 is still not complete. 

The F-14 is very good, but it really requires a team of two to fly & fight realistically ... the artificial RIO is unfortunately not good enough, and idem for the artificial pilot (when you want to be RIO) ... tough I must admit that I loved learning the intrincacies of the RIO systems.

I'm currently learning the MI-8 helicopter, so no chance to fly the Harrier yet .. I placed her on the Hangar long ago (I purchased the Harrier on November 2017), because it was not finished enough, and I hadn't returned to her since. 😞

MiG-19 Normal Procedures.pdf

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I like using the NATOPS manual, the -500 has a really handy quick reference checklist for startup at the front (pages J-M) which is good to follow for the (though some of the checks aren't necessary for DCS). I used a pdf editor to blank out the bits that weren't relevant (and added a big red "REMOVE WHEEL CHOCKS" at the start as I always forget). I use it with VR Kneeboard, works really well for me.

• Thanks 1

For startup, taxi and different types of takeoffs and landings, Harrier NATOPS is actually usable in DCS. There are some things that don't work or don't make any difference (especially since you can't damage aircraft systems with wrong procedures, and some checks and tests don't work), but in general you can use real life manual for general flying in DCS. For weapons employment and onboard combat systems it's probably better to use in-game manual, since those procedures are still not matching real ones completely.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Bbow said:

Do any of you have the weight & balance manual of the AV-8B? In the performance manual they refer you to the NA-1-1B-40 (i think) but I can't find this document anywhere

Try "Navair 01-1B-40 pdf"

EDIT: sorry, it is behind a paywall, the superceded version is available though and looks generic

Edited by Dunx

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52