Typhoon HOTAS layout

Morris

18 hours ago, Morris said:

Didn't realise there were so many things going on with the throttle! Surprised to not see a bright red pickle button. I thinking more so about what the actual function of each hat and button was.

The bright red (actually orange) pickle button is hidden behind the cover on the right side of the stick top. You have to flip it aside to uncover and press the pickle button aka A/S weapons commit.

The actual HOTAS moding depends on the aircraft standard. For the time being it's certainly to early to comment on the details. It's not too different to that of the F/A-18C, albeit there are a total of 22 controls, incl. a shift button and long/short press functionality to access up to four function per button. Remodding dependent on the Phase of Flight you are in may also occur dependent on the capability standard we are talking about.

• Like 1

That manual wasn't really declassified, but leaked. It reglects the very early PSC 1.X standard, but nonetheless gives an idea of the original moding philosophy leaned towards A/A operations. Much of this is still applicable, but there have been some serious changes with the latest standards.

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Bananabrai said:

One times shifted.

The controls are pretty similar to other birds of the time HOTAS wise, nobody tried to reinvent the wheel here.

I've heard that (at least on early Eurofighter versions) the HOTAS controls were not that great, because they had been neglected during development in favor of the voice controls?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I cannot count on my fingers and toes the number of times when entering or egressing the cockpit during the Development, the throttle pinkie was snapped. Eventually the Procurement bloke, sick of sending them off for repair had a large foam box created to sit around it!

• 4 weeks later...