Mission 2

johodg

Go for the bombers first and ask your wingman to cover you, they can handle the MIG's and delay them all, also, as you climb to your designated altitude make sure you are a good leader and wait for your flight to form up with you, it will give you a better chance to survive. 

I would agree with SorelRos tactics.

* Keep your flight in a loose formation.

* When the fighters break to engage your flight, order your flight to engage them.

* Go for the bombers yourself. Your main purpose here is to make yourself bait for the MiGs.

* Since the F-5s can take the MiGs head on, the MiGs will lose one or two airplanes in that fight. At least one other will turn to engage you. Keep your fuel tanks and just push your speed to max and the MiGs will be hard pressed to catch up. The rest of the F-5s will clean them up.

The only thing that can sabotage this tactic is that sometimes, a pair of SU 24s break alongside the MIGs, drawing fire. I can only assume this is a bug.

signature.png

OK thanx that helped and I passed it. 

But Im amazed over how bad the f-5e performs compared to the migs in that mission. They out turn me and can still climb like rockets while I struggle to pass stall speed and while doing so I must fly straight and then they will easily come behind me after a looping!! If I then turn  do avoid them my speed drops again. This just does not feel right and probably it´s DCS. However maybe you have set the AI to expert or simular?

Next mission is the same story.

I will eventually succed but I strongly feel that the first missions could have been a little bit easier and focused on imersion of the campaign rather than theoritical realism. 🙂 

One thing also JonathanRL states above that the F5 can take the migs staright on but that doesn´t work in these missions. Probably because of "wrong" missile and if so why isn´t the F5 loaded with a better missile in the mission so there is at least one advantage over these "space crafts"? 

@johodg I believe that you equipped with AIM-9P5 that has some limited head-on capabilities. limited but still usable. At high rates of closure you can use it pretty much like a long range bullet from 2 miles, 1.5 miles you have a very high change to kill. On those two missions your goal is to protect the ships. the Migs can't harm the ships your focus should be on the bombers. the mission should give you enough time to deal with them before you tangle with the Migs. The reason I built this campaign with comms via the default comms in DCS and not with a lot of "space key" user input is to be able, for example, to send your no 3 and 4 to engage fighters, giving you some more breathing room,  and then order your wingman to cover you. between you and him, and working your angles and intercept turn you could take the bombers in a quick fight. 

As for the immersion progression, this is a fairly long campaign. I believe the longest one made as of today. 25 missions. the other ones are 12-13 missions, don't ask me why, 'cause I don't know the answer to that. If I ease the player into it, something else got to give. If it was up to me I would've made it 100 missions long like a full deployment. But I doubt anyone would've touched that.  

I don't consider myself a good pilot, but those convoy protection missions are quite easy, just remember that going straight through the middle of a bomber formation will make you loose a lot of energy in the turn, working from the side will allow you to still maintain a lot of energy during the turn and place you with the formation in front of you in a comfortable 5 - 7 o'clock position where you can dictate your flight, also, don't forget to drop your fuel tanks as soon as they ran empty, F-5 with the bags on is a dog. 

Cheers, 

Thanx for answers. Ill be better at tactics and planning!

I was a little confused by this: "Since the F-5s can take the MiGs head on, the MiGs will lose one or two airplanes in that fight. At least one other will turn to engage you. Keep your fuel tanks and just push your speed to max and the MiGs will be hard pressed to catch up"

By the way are using VR when you say it is easy? I find VR to be exellent in almost every aspect but looking backwards. For me it´s impossible to turn my head the amount required to look out for chasing migs and/or missiles, 

Also I agree with using the default communication. The other method tends to be very limited when it comes to tactics.

One question regarding the extra fuel tanks(I find it hard to know their status), Is the message "exteral empty" always refering to all of external tanks, or do center and pylons have seperate messages?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,
no big deal, but I was just about to play Mission 2 and noticed this...
I get a different set of briefing pictures before the mission gets loaded (i.e. before I click "START") and after that (when the simulation is loaded and I need to click "FLY").
The former contains a mixture of pictures from Mission 1 and Mission 2, the latter only from Mission 2 (as expected).
I didn't know it was even possible in DCS, so I thought I'd just say it - just in case, perhaps it's some kind of a bug.

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

Just an update to my previous post above - about the "mixture of pictures" I was getting in the briefing.
It has nothing to do with the campaign.
Yesterday I had this mixture, but it was late, I didn't fly, just turned off the computer and went to bed. Today turned it on and everything is okay!
So it's some kind of a rare quirk in DCS. Nevermind. Case closed. Sorry.

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I tried this mission on the weekend and need help....

* On my first attempt I got lost because there is no Radio navigation and the F5 can not interpret the russian "Channel 28". How am I supposed to navigate besides estimating my distance and useing the compass?

* On my 2nd attempt the VR mouse cursor disappeared and I no longer was able to click things in the cockpit. DCS stuff.... 😡

* On my 3rd attempt I was killed from an impressiv edistance by a Su24 that made an insane loop towards my flight and attacked us from above with astounding speed. My F5 was sniped with a gun burst before my AIMs could get a lock. Also the F5 struggles to stay above stall speed at 25k feet, unless you go constant full afterburner.

Could you give me any hints on how to navigate in that mission? And how to not stall at full throttle? And what to do wit the Su24s that have unlimited energy to do 500 kts loopings at 25k?

Edited by iffoif

Have a look at some people that played it and went through it. You have quite enough gas to go up to 25k while still managing your flight integrity. As for navigation it is clock and compass and time, you get some hints from the SuperFudd when you hit your turns. As for the Su-24's not a whole lot I can do about the AI. It's not easy but it's quite doable, remember your AIM-9's are front aspect, and remember that your flight can help you as well if you keep your flight integrity. 

Regards, 

Thank you for taking the time to reply! Oh and thank you for this great campaign!

As for navigation it is clock and compass and time, you get some hints from the SuperFudd when you hit your turns.

That is what I tried and I got PTSD flashbacks from the time I learned cross country navigation in FSX with Rod Machados PPL license texbook.... 😄 The problem with this method is that it is hard to account for wind induced drift... And what is SuperFudd? I got no messages, probably because I missed the trigger zones?

Have a look at some people that played it and went through it. 

Hmmmm, the video is interesting! Unfortunately the navigation part was cut out - after takeoff and the initial turn, the video commences at around waypoint 2. Interestingly, there is no voiceover and the pilot just asks AWACS for bogey dope and turns right towards the enemy planes. Is that what we are supposed to do?

E2C pilots don't like to be called AWACS pilots so, to keep them happy we will call their plane by the funniest nickname ever. SuperFudd. 

The E-2 also received the nickname "Super Fudd"[2] because it replaced the WF (later E-1) "Willy Fudd". In recent decades, the E-2 has been commonly referred to as the "Hummer" because of the distinctive sounds of its turboprop engines, quite unlike that of turbojet and turbofan jet engines. In addition to U.S. Navy service, smaller numbers of E-2s have been sold to the armed forces of Egypt, France, Israel, Japan, Mexico, Singapore and Taiwan. 

10 hours ago, Rizn-Nuke said:

What is the requirement for proceeding the campaign in this mission? Do you have to save all ships? Do you have to destroy all enemies? I only know you have to land and stop 🙂

Make sure you intercept the bombers before they engage the ships. The ships must survive. 

vor 4 Stunden schrieb SorelRo:

Make sure you intercept the bombers before they engage the ships. The ships must survive. 

Gotcha. It was a bit weird flying the mission and getting no feedback at all if you did things right. No warning that missiles were launched or that ships were destroyed. Only found out after landing that I failed the mission.

6 hours ago, Rizn-Nuke said:

Gotcha. It was a bit weird flying the mission and getting no feedback at all if you did things right. No warning that missiles were launched or that ships were destroyed. Only found out after landing that I failed the mission.

It's a fine line I have to thread, in a mission in reality the ships probably will lack the capacity to talk to you over radio, If I give the player a warning on the radio, it is already too late if missies are in the air. Also, in reality you will not know for certain the results of a mission until you land, however, life would continue and you wouldn't have to re-fly the same thing. With a dynamic campaign engine It will be different, but this way it's challenging  to tell a story.