AI Ground units formation type completely ignored, or not moving at all

Go to solution Solved by Flappie,

I noticed before that ground unit formation types are completely ignored by AI and units always move in a single column formation. (which makes them easy target picking for enemies and gets them killed 1 by 1)

In the process of recreating this for a proper bug report, I stumbled upon an even worse bug, where the ground units didn't even move at all!

Attached:

• Ground unit formation test1 - cone.miz --> Units just drive in single column
  • Ground unit formation test1 - custom.miz --> Units don't move at all
  • Ground unit formation test1 - line abreast.miz --> Units just drive in single column
  • Ground unit formation test1 - off road.miz --> Units just drive in single column
  • Ground unit formation test1 - VEE.miz --> Units don't move at all
  • Ground unit formation test2 - custom.miz --> Units don't move at all
  • Ground unit formation test2 - diamond.miz --> Units don't move at all
  • Ground unit formation test2 - line abreast.miz --> Units don't move at all

Tested on a clean DCS installation (no mods installed) version 2.5.6.60720 Open Beta

Speeded up all missions and observed behaviour up to approximately 15minutes mission time

Ground unit formation test2 - custom.miz Ground unit formation test2 - diamond.miz Ground unit formation test2 - line abreast.miz Ground unit formation test1 - cone.miz Ground unit formation test1 - custom.miz Ground unit formation test1 - line abreast.miz Ground unit formation test1 - off road.miz Ground unit formation test1 - VEE.miz

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

• Solution

Hi @sirrah.

About units getting stuck from the start: I can reproduce your issue. It seems some units don't work well together. Replace them all by a T-55 and they won't get stuck. I'll work a bit on this issue to try and understand what's wrong.

About your formation issue: if you want them to form a cone while driving towards WP1, you need to tell them that in WP0, and there it works.

units_stuck.trk

Edited by Flappie
added track showing units getting stuck

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Most of the formations and especially the ON ROAD-formation should have a setting for tight and sparse formations. ON ROAD - SPARSE would cause the units to advance along the road but the distances between vehicles would be something like 100-200m. 

2 hours ago, Flappie said:

Hi @sirrah.

About units getting stuck from the start: I can reproduce your issue. It seems some units don't work well together. Replace them all by a T-55 and they won't get stuck. I'll work a bit on this issue to try and understand what's wrong.

About your formation issue: if you want them to form a cone while driving towards WP1, you need to tell them that in WP0, and there it works.

units_stuck.trk 33.84 kB · 0 downloads

You are (partly) right 🙂

I did set the formation on WP0 (starting point), but I had to also set the same formation on the first waypoint (WP1). Then indeed it works!

Still strange about the units not moving when specific units are combined in one group. That seems like a bug.

(@Flappie by the way, just for my understanding. Are you a member of the ED devs? Or are you just a very helpful community member? Either way, thank you for investigating :thumbup:)

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

You're right: I thought setting WP0 would suffice, but it doesn't. That's weird.

The combined vehicles getting stuck is certainly a bug, yes. This is the first time I see this in the game. I guess there's one combination that breaks the whole group logic...

(the latter, and you're welcome 😉)

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

• ED Team

Thank you I have added it to a report I already have open.

( and yes, @Flappie is a very helpful volunteer, and we are very grateful )

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

try setting the speeds if they are left at default they will not move. 

units_stuck.miz

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2