Vertical resolution of Azimuth/Elevation format

Jak525

The vertical resolution scale of the Az/El format is incorrect, similar to the issue I reported for the Attack format except it's elevation angles and not range obviously. Currently it is referencing the top of the dugout as the top of the elevation scale. The bottom of the dugout should instead be the reference. So for example, if +/- 30 degree elevation scale is set, then the point that is 30 degrees above the horizon should be the very bottom of the dugout, not the top of it as it is now. This is demonstrated in the .trk by scan center position value. When I set the scan center to below the dugout (cursor, correctly, won't let you set it above the dugout), it indicates 26 degrees, whereas if I set it to the bottom of the tactical region itself it indicates -30, correctly.

Image attached for demonstration. As per it, note the actual horizon line on the Az/El (0 degree point) needs to be shifted down. Also, the vertical tick marks will have to be adjusted.

Another thing is the radar FOV should cut off at the bottom of the dugout, not the top as it does now.

TL;DR dugout is considered part of the range-resolved tactical region. It shouldn't be. Entire tactical region needs to be vertically shrunk slightly.

azel bug.png

AzEl dugout scale bug.miz.trk

Edited by Jak525
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

The yellow AZ/EL radar scan coverage box is larger in the vertical than the actual radar scan coverage.

To reproduce:

- Use a mission with an AWACS and a non-maneuvering target within radar range to see target's actual altitude on Link 16

- Use antenna elevation to place the target just within the vertical limits of the AZ/EL scan coverage box

- Observe that the target is not within vertical scan coverage limits on the ATTK RDR page, and as such is not detected by radar, but is shown as within the scan coverage limits on the AZ/EL page

Track attached below.

hornet AZEL coverage bug.trk

• Like 1