{ ED INVESTIGATING } MFD Text and symbology messy with latest update

Foogle

49 minutes ago, imacken said:

Works OK for me so far, but I haven't tested too much. What screens are corrupted for you?

Are you sure you are deleting the 'new' indicators folder and replacing it with the 'old' one?

Yep. Renamed the current folder, copied yours over and I get this (ignore red dots; that's my keyboard reflection!):

07316BEC-80F8-4B37-9303-22AC69743791.jpeg

Edited by netizensmith

Are you sure you have the correct ‘indicators’ folder? There are several. 
works fine for me. No issues that I can find. 

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

1 hour ago, imacken said:

Are you sure you have the correct ‘indicators’ folder? There are several. 
works fine for me. No issues that I can find. 

Yeah, I'm sure. Just did a repair and tried again.

I'm happy with the settings change I mentioned in my post above for now; that would be least likely to interfere with any other changes they've made too. Changing the colours in the file you mentioned OR in the file I mentioned had no effect so no idea what's going on there lol.

Pretty sure there is something wrong with how you are doing this, but whatever works for you!  Also, you realise the MPCD_Materials file doesn't exist when you apply the 'old' indicator folder?  This only exists in the 'new' indicator folder.  There is no 'Global' folder within the new 'indicator'.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I did some testing and I get the same artifacts. After creating a backup I deleted the indicator folder and replaced it with the downloaded one.  I am wondering if there might be another file somewhere that need to be reverted.  Maybe materials.lua, or something in the displays folder.  

The zip file you attached has an MPCD_Materials.lua file in the root of indicator. The latest version has it in a Globals subfolder that did not previously exist but the contents are different.

Interestingly, as the Harrier has the option for different colours overlayed onto the moving map, previously there were settings for these colours in MPCD_Materials.lua but now they are nowhere to be found anywhere in my entire DCS folder e.g. MPCD_VIOLET I cannot find anywhere

Sorry, but then I have no idea.

I have just tried it again and it works. This is what I did:

1) do a repair on DCS

2) go to ..\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\AV8BNA\Cockpit\MPCD and delete the 'indicator' folder

3) paste in the one I attached above.

Works perfectly for me.

Who knows???

4 minutes ago, netizensmith said:

The zip file you attached has an MPCD_Materials.lua file in the root of indicator. The latest version has it in a Globals subfolder that did not previously exist but the contents are different.

Interestingly, as the Harrier has the option for different colours overlayed onto the moving map, previously there were settings for these colours in MPCD_Materials.lua but now they are nowhere to be found anywhere in my entire DCS folder e.g. MPCD_VIOLET I cannot find anywhere

Yes, I mentioned that above. However, you're not quite right, the latest version has it in Global AND the root of indicator.  You should have 2.  The on in Global is where the colours are changed for me.  day_color changes the EHSD font colour.

Hmm, maybe that's why it's not working.  Let me try something else.

Right, now I am seeing what you guys are seeing.

I did a repair with check for additional files in DCS, and hey presto, a whole bunch in Harrier MPCD/indicator folder!  I removed all of them and now I'm seeing the issue.

So, what I need to do, is find the extra files in the list of about 20 that are making it OK for me.

Looks like their code looks for files in multiple places (I could be wrong but how else would adding files that aren't supposed to be there change behaviour?). I've spent enough time on this.

I can imagine there are some setups (particular resolutions) and times of day (mission time) and brightness settings, map backgrounds etc. whereby the outline around the symbology could be considered an improvement but there are clearly plenty of scenarios where it results in an unreadable cockpit.

OK, I think I've sussed it out.  Try this zip, it's OvGME/Open Mod Manager friendly.  There were more files, but all is working well now. It reverts to the way it was before this week's patch.

I hope it works now for you guys.

Harrier Font Mod.zip

Edited by imacken
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, imacken said:

OK, I think I've sussed it out.  Try this zip, it's OvGME/Open Mod Manager friendly.  There were more files, but all is working well now. It reverts to the way it was before this week's patch.

Harrier Font Mod.zip 2.69 MB · 6 downloads

Tested in 2D at 4k and on a Reverb. It's so close it pains me to even mention this but my armaments were not showing on the stores page. Apart form that I'd say this is great work and is as it was before the last update. I confirmed that returning to the latest official files saw the armaments listed once more.

36 minutes ago, Aarnoman said:

Any official response from RAZBAM yet? Text is definitely a lot harder to read on Reverb G2 as well.

Not yet. I raised it 21 hours ago so let's give them some time.

From the above we can see that more has changed than just a font outline.

Waypoint 1 i marked at W1 now, rather than just 1

The fonts have less spacing between the letters.

The fonts are larger.

The default brightness looks overexposed / blown out.

The text on top of the map is unreadable (on a monitor, we haven't even got to VR yet)

8 hours ago, imacken said:

Harrier Font Mod.zip 2.69 MB · 7 downloads

@imacken  Confirmed Working for me. You saved my Weekend!!

EDIT: I am actually having an issue with thee STORES page, no weapon text

Edited by JIGGAwest
update

7 hours ago, netizensmith said:

Cropped zooms:

Top one is latest update from ED/Razbam.

Bottom one is how it is in the current stable version i.e. prior to the update

Full images, top one is Stable, bottom is latest beta

039AB50A-295F-48E5-990D-4D94562DE62D.jpeg

BDB61D2C-2E8B-45D4-A503-E3210E5C14B5.jpeg

Stable (Large).jpg

Beta (Large).jpg

Wow... That is radical change they did to readability. While I like the display surface effect, it just takes game element away as we can not use real eyes to solve those things.

(Similar as in reality you can look through dirty canopy more easily in some situations).

This is one of those subjects I am willing to bend for gaming from reality. Make the panels and displays readable so that one doesn't need to get frustrated or buy new hardware just to be able read what a display show.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Yep, the stores page is an issue.  Haven't got time to look at that, so let's hope we will get a solution soon.

17 hours ago, Aarnoman said:

Any official response from RAZBAM yet? Text is definitely a lot harder to read on Reverb G2 as well.

Don"t be daft they do not have a good history in responding to the forums on genuine bugs.  They like to use their own Discord and Facebook. 

Final predictions for the outcome of  this issie to include;

I1) It's as per SME (the same one that thinks the rose compass display is correct on the TPOD lol, instanty loses all credability ).

2) We've tested this and cannot replicate or find fault.  This must be down to user hardware not being able to render correctly (as per TDC slew issue).

No doubt either of these response's will mean the thread is closed and moved to resolved lol. 

• Thanks 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

I did a little snooping around just to see what changes were made to different files and these were significant.  I also hope RAZBAM will provide us a solution.  However, I do tend to agree with Hawkeye about their efficacy when it comes to resolving issues.