A few questions :)

Hi everybody, saw the trailer and read the reddit and it sounds awesome!!! 

It fills a niche between full arcade ace combat and full hardcore Simulation. For people like me who want to fly but dont have the time to go all in.

But i have a few questions.

1. Are the mentioned tutorial campaign avaible?

2. Is AAR a thing? 

3. Do you use Case 1/2/3 for carrier landings?

4. What is the average playtime and how many missions could we see?

hey,

i enjoy the campaign too but have only played a couple of missions. i have a busy job and a family and the short tensed missions (20-30 min) fit easily with my life. Many other units are around you and fill the world with life. Especially for VR-users it works flawlessly.

1. i did not see a tutorial, but you really wouldnt need one. if you can fly the f18 you are perfectly good 2 go.

2.3. it is optional, but not a must an depending on the missions

4. 13 i believe according to their website.

I find the missions are created with a very high effort and perfectly blend a full fidelity model of dcs with my casual play-style.

9900k, 2080TI, 64GB, ssd, valve index, Thrustmaster on virpil, virpil cm2 throttle, tpr pedals, mfd.

Hi.

Ive now done five missions (0 through 4).

Right now Im a bit happy and a bit dissapointed.

Good things are

It really feels different to DCS, which is good and bad. I can see the assitance for beginners, but am not sure, if this will be enough since there still are many things to do. But for sure its helping one learn certain things. The restart-mission after you have died (with full labels then) is helpful, but was not nessecary up to now, since it only skipped some 5 min flying. Not like in other campaings where this would set you back another 25 minutes.

The visuals of the whole campaign is a bit different to normal DCS and Im happy, that I can use the liveries also on my own mission. I like them. You never actually feel, flying on the PG-map but somewhere else instead.

What I dont like (but which is mostly completly personal):

Even the vocals are really nice, they are just as they were taken out of an Manga-comic or at least how I experience such comics during channel-hopping. Never watched one really though. I think, this is kind of the thing, that you have to expect doing these missions. Some radio-calls along to ones giving you orders are informative, many are non-military in the mentioned Manga-comic-style....

What is rather personal is the price of the whole compaign. Its by far the most expensive, but only offering 13 missions. The Enemy within costs half the price and offers about 20 missions, all with great vocals. But I did want to see how this different approach to DCS works and for that Im ok with the price. And its actually visible, that quite some work went into the Campaign like the music.

Concering the four questions from above:

1) I did not see a tutorial-compaign. But there is one SC and one non-SC-campaign. There are also no video-sequences. I guess, they were not able to implement those.

2) I already had one automated AAR. The first time I took control via ESC but then many of the accompaning radio-calls did not appear.

3) in mission 4 you have a Case3 landing; but thats optional, you can end it mid-air. Most flights up to now end mid-air, some also start mid-air.

4) Playtime of most mission seems about half an hour, since you mosly jump in a few minutes before the action. Remembering some other compaings, where you had to go through yet another cold-start and follow five WP until to get to the action after one stupid mistake, this is kind of nice. But for sure not for the "I-am-real-fighter-pilot"-kind. But in other campaings I have already mastered the Fast-Fowarding (Auto-start and time-speed-up) pretty well.

Overall I do not regret having purchased the campaign. The (comic-like) vocals are bit annoying to me but the rest is nice. For me its like a (bit expensive) day off from DCS. 😉

Edited by Wali763

I'm having a blast with and can tell it is very well put together, you still have to be able to use all the systems but it is a great campaign for beginner pilots, I am very impressed. It's got the style of other titles but the beauty of DCS. 

It’s a great starting point for a beginner. The way I see it if you can ace this campaign your ready for manual cold starts and radio frequency management.

Edited by Dav IRL

4.8 I7, 1080, TMW&T, SSD, VKB MK.IV.

This campaign is honestly the most fun iv'e had with any campaign, it still DCS, but it doesn't "feel" like DCS, I'm loving all the characters, but what really sells it, is the music. Inverted, please release the soundtrack I must have it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

2分钟前,Xenovia说:

This campaign is honestly the most fun iv'e had with any campaign, it still DCS, but it doesn't "feel" like DCS, I'm loving all the characters, but what really sells it, is the music. Inverted, please release the soundtrack I must have it.

😉 Due to copyright and music format, for Now, OST cannot be released separately. If the campaign is popular, we will communicate with the composer.  

22小时前,Wali763说:

Hi.

Ive now done five missions (0 through 4).

Right now Im a bit happy and a bit dissapointed.

Good things are

It really feels different to DCS, which is good and bad. I can see the assitance for beginners, but am not sure, if this will be enough since there still are many things to do. But for sure its helping one learn certain things. The restart-mission after you have died (with full labels then) is helpful, but was not nessecary up to now, since it only skipped some 5 min flying. Not like in other campaings where this would set you back another 25 minutes.

The visuals of the whole campaign is a bit different to normal DCS and Im happy, that I can use the liveries also on my own mission. I like them. You never actually feel, flying on the PG-map but somewhere else instead.

What I dont like (but which is mostly completly personal):

Even the vocals are really nice, they are just as they were taken out of an Manga-comic or at least how I experience such comics during channel-hopping. Never watched one really though. I think, this is kind of the thing, that you have to expect doing these missions. Some radio-calls along to ones giving you orders are informative, many are non-military in the mentioned Manga-comic-style....

What is rather personal is the price of the whole compaign. Its by far the most expensive, but only offering 13 missions. The Enemy within costs half the price and offers about 20 missions, all with great vocals. But I did want to see how this different approach to DCS works and for that Im ok with the price. And its actually visible, that quite some work went into the Campaign like the music.

Concering the four questions from above:

1) I did not see a tutorial-compaign. But there is one SC and one non-SC-campaign. There are also no video-sequences. I guess, they were not able to implement those.

2) I already had one automated AAR. The first time I took control via ESC but then many of the accompaning radio-calls did not appear.

3) in mission 4 you have a Case3 landing; but thats optional, you can end it mid-air. Most flights up to now end mid-air, some also start mid-air.

4) Playtime of most mission seems about half an hour, since you mosly jump in a few minutes before the action. Remembering some other compaings, where you had to go through yet another cold-start and follow five WP until to get to the action after one stupid mistake, this is kind of nice. But for sure not for the "I-am-real-fighter-pilot"-kind. But in other campaings I have already mastered the Fast-Fowarding (Auto-start and time-speed-up) pretty well.

Overall I do not regret having purchased the campaign. The (comic-like) vocals are bit annoying to me but the rest is nice. For me its like a (bit expensive) day off from DCS. 😉

Hi @Wali763

Thank you for your advice.

This campaign is an attempt for our production team. At the beginning of the project, we had the same question. A lot of people in our production team are also "hardcore players", and many of the existing campaigns are also projects that I often play, such as "F18 R1", "a10c OPF" and so on.

On the question you mentioned:

Yes, we know that there are controversies about voice-acting, which involves the setting of character and the style of chocie. Due to COVID, we had to do English voice-overs over the internet without live directoring. In addition, the script was translated from Chinese and left some "nativeness" to be desired, for sure. We will improve the English script in the future.
The comical-style or "Ace Combat" style was our choice, however, it may have been a bit "too" cheesy and dramatic, we will make sure to fit it to an appropriate level in the future project with suggestion from players. For comical breifings, we noticed that many people didn't read the bulky text briefing carefully when playing missions, so we tried to make some changes and make them as light weight as possible. 

As for visual novels, due to the limitation of DCS, all visual novelsare in the doc folder of the task. We had no way of implementing them into the in-game UI for now, but that is a subject to change in the future.
AAR is not necessary most of the time in missions, it is more of a cinematic thing than practical thing. Because the trigger is set at specifies the time and place, if you do it yourself and misses the window we designed for it, you may miss some dialogues - do it fast!

When making this campaign, we wanted to it become the fun on your weekdays and still have you play DCS :D. So we deliberately made the missions to be filled with actions and short is part of the result. This is really not consistent with "real flight" and we are fully aware of that, "gameplay" is at the center of Rising Squall.

Thank you very much for so many suggestions, which will also provide great reference value for our future projects.

Edited by JG54_NF2

8小时前,Larkis说:

It fills a niche between full arcade ace combat and full hardcore Simulation. For people like me who want to fly but dont have the time to go all in.

2. Is AAR a thing? 

At present, the special training campaign has not been released.

AAR (air-to-air  refueling) is automatic and does not need to be done manually.

There are individual mission related to aircraft carrier combat, but landing is not necessary. You can get the prompt of mission completion in the air, and there is no requirement for forced landing.

At present, I hope the average time of a level can be controlled within 30 minutes, this time mainly reduces the route time, but ensures the intensity of the battle.

With a total of 13 normal levels and 1 egg level. Among them, M02, M04, M05, M07, M09, M11, and M12 levels include the automatic archiving point in front of the task obstacle point.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Larkis said:

2. Is AAR a thing? 

I've played a few missions.  TLDR, it's DCS but feels like Ace Combat which isn't a bad thing.  Music is great and heart-pumping, and voice acting is...over the top, lol.

There is no tutorial, so you need to know what you're doing as the some procedures are still realistic.  For example, in the very first mission, to take off from the carrier successfully you have to set flaps, etc. and salute prior to launch.  To use HARM in TOO mode Master Arm has to be on, AG on, left DDI is SOI, uncage before weapon release, etc.  JSOW TOO is similar, need to set EFUZE to INST, fire only when IN RNG, etc.  It is not super friendly to newcomers to the level of Ace Combat, although a lot of processes such as AAR are simplified or automated...which is nice.  I'm not very far in but I don't think you are required to do any complex maneuvers such as AAR or carrier landings.

I kinda like it actually.  A nice break from your typical DCS campaign.  Each mission is short 20-30min, so it doesn't piss me off if I die an hour into a mission and had to redo the whole thing over again. 

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

When I caught up on campaigns I skipped this one because, to be perfectly honest, I don't really want to know what her ambush tastes like.  Obviously voiced by a professional, because a mere amateur would never get a line like that out.

I have to say I'm heartened by the comments above, however.  Might make a nice change of pace.

...says the guy who owns every module, all but 10 campaigns, and has NEVER FLOWN A CAMPAIGN.  Got to start somewhere...

2 hours ago, JG54_NF2 said:

At present, the special training campaign has not been released.

AAR (air-to-air  refueling) is automatic and does not need to be done manually.

There are individual mission related to aircraft carrier combat, but landing is not necessary. You can get the prompt of mission completion in the air, and there is no requirement for forced landing.

At present, I hope the average time of a level can be controlled within 30 minutes, this time mainly reduces the route time, but ensures the intensity of the battle.

With a total of 13 normal levels and 1 egg level. Among them, M02, M04, M05, M07, M09, M11, and M12 levels include the automatic archiving point in front of the task obstacle point.

Thanks for the answer. Any ETA for the Tutorial campaign? If its not to long i will wait until that.

I still has aome experience in flying the Bug, habe it since release. But i stiped flying DCS last autumn cause i with a new job, wife and kids, learning the aircraft is now more frustrating the fun. AAR and Case 1 are no problem but im not very experienced in releasing weapons except the must easy one like MK82 CCIP or A-A. So i hoped to do the titorisl campaign first so i know what todo. 🙂

Do you plan (if its financial successfull) to add other campaigns sith the bug or other aircrafts? Maybe i will buy it just to support it and wait until tutorial is live. 🙂

9小时前,Larkis说:

Thanks for the answer. Any ETA for the Tutorial campaign? If its not to long i will wait until that.

I still has aome experience in flying the Bug, habe it since release. But i stiped flying DCS last autumn cause i with a new job, wife and kids, learning the aircraft is now more frustrating the fun. AAR and Case 1 are no problem but im not very experienced in releasing weapons except the must easy one like MK82 CCIP or A-A. So i hoped to do the titorisl campaign first so i know what todo. 🙂

Do you plan (if its financial successfull) to add other campaigns sith the bug or other aircrafts? Maybe i will buy it just to support it and wait until tutorial is live. 🙂

At present, there is no definite time. We are still in the process of making it. It is expected to be completed in the first half of the year.

In the mission brief, we noted some skills that need to be used, as well as the corresponding position in the manual. Most weapons are used from a simple and practical point of view. Of course, we don't limit the way any player can fight, if you want.😉

26分钟前,cm2说:

Is it possible to switch object labels Off in the campaign? I saw some gameplay videos of the campaign and saw labels on objects. @JG54_NF2

As with any task, we don't use the forced use labels. You can switch the labels at any time in the game settings.

At the beginning of the design, we intended to force the labels to be closed to increase authenticity, but later, considering the concerns of some low-level players, we decided not to force the use of this thing.

1 hour ago, JG54_NF2 said:

As with any task, we don't use the forced use labels. You can switch the labels at any time in the game settings.

At the beginning of the design, we intended to force the labels to be closed to increase authenticity, but later, considering the concerns of some low-level players, we decided not to force the use of this thing.

Thanks for the quick reply JG54_NF2 🙂

Excellent! I don't like labels. Will be getting the Campaign soon then! I like the fighter pilot stories in Ace Combat Series but the arcade-y stuff of the ace combat games turn me off. From the trailers I saw, this campaign you guys made merged the best of both worlds. Nice!

Also will you guys be making a F-14 campaign too?

11分钟前,cm2说:

Thanks for the quick reply JG54_NF2 🙂

Excellent! I don't like labels. Will be getting the Campaign soon then! I like the fighter pilot stories in Ace Combat Series but the arcade-y stuff of the ace combat games turn me off. From the trailers I saw, this campaign you guys made merged the best of both worlds. Nice!

Also will you guys be making a F-14 campaign too?

Our initial consideration was based on the multi-purpose features of the F / A-18C, which will be slightly different on the F-14. In the future, our opus will try other modules, but it needs appropriate script and plot design as the basis. Because we don't want to turn DCS into Ace Combat, so that people cannot get unlimited missiles and hundreds of enemy planes. We need to find a balance between the two, considering both gamepaly and authenticity. 😊

Edited by JG54_NF2
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, JG54_NF2 said:

Our initial consideration was based on the multi-purpose features of the F / A-18C, which will be slightly different on the F-14. In the future, our opus will try other modules, but it needs appropriate script and plot design as the basis. Because we don't want to turn DCS into Ace Combat, so that people cannot get unlimited missiles and hundreds of enemy planes. We need to find a balance between the two, considering both gamepaly and authenticity. 😊

Indeed my main issue with the ace combat games.

Also regarding the air-to-air refueling in the campaign, is it possible to do it manually too? I mean I am fine with automated ARR, like watching a cutscene, but would be great if there's an option to do it manually too.

10分钟前,cm2说:

Indeed my main issue with the ace combat games.

Also regarding the air-to-air refueling in the campaign, is it possible to do it manually too? I mean I am fine with automated ARR, like watching a cutscene, but would be great if there's an option to do it manually too.

Yes, you can choose to "take control", but in this campaign, AAR is just a kind of plot performance, and actually cannot add too much fuel for you. Moreover, due to the limitation of trigger position and timer, manual control can easily make you miss subsequent tasks, so I don't recommend manual refueling or look at the automatic result before you take over the manually.

Edited by JG54_NF2

Hey guys,

I am FrankMT, producer of Rising Squall. Thank you guys for the comments and support, we really appreciate them!

I will address few of the questions asked here, similar to what NF2 has said:

1. The "tutorial training campaign" will come in the first half of 2021, we are trying to make it as practical and replayable as possible while taking the "story" factor into the campaign. It will come with some "unprecedented" features as well, acting as something very light weight. Like said before, it will be FREE for those who have purchased Rising Squall.

2. Mission playtime is 20-30 minutes. You won't need to be able to AAR or carrier landing, however, there is a mission that you HAVE to land, in a way that you may have not ever thought off :D. If you want to do AAR manually, you can, however, you must do it quick and swiftly, otherwise you may miss some dialogues. Rising Squall may not be the best place to prace AAR haha. 

3. Labels is the ONLY "game options" we left for the players to choose, if a mission ever feels too hard or impossible, you can turn it on and it should be much easier. However, the missions are designed with "label-free" in mind, you won't be facing any circumstances that you must use label to complete.

4. 13 missions + 1 credit mission. The credit mission kind of acts like the ending of the campaign. We know its a cliffhanger, which means there will be a sequel. It requires a lot of resources to pull through a campaign likes this. Early work has been started, yet we have to see how Rising Squall performs and decide how far we can push - There still are many, many things can be improved and introduced. There is no definite time for the release of the next campaign, yet.

Many thanks for your support, we are very glad to see those who have played having a blast! Thank you for playing!

Best,

FrankMT

INVERTED Ltd.

14 hours ago, Larkis said:

Hi Larkis,

To your last question, we will be constantly maintaining and improving Rising Squall as new features of DCS come while working on its sequel. How far we can push for those improvements and for future projects depends on the financials :D. Many thanks for your support and love! Enjoy!

15 hours ago, Raisuli said:

When I caught up on campaigns I skipped this one because, to be perfectly honest, I don't really want to know what her ambush tastes like.  Obviously voiced by a professional, because a mere amateur would never get a line like that out.

I have to say I'm heartened by the comments above, however.  Might make a nice change of pace.

...says the guy who owns every module, all but 10 campaigns, and has NEVER FLOWN A CAMPAIGN.  Got to start somewhere...

We feel very honored to have you start with our campaign. Enjoy, sir!

Played Mission 1 and it's awesome! 🙂

So will "Bones" hookup with Ming in the sequel lol I prefer him with "Bones" rather than Diana. Reminds me of the old wing commander 3 game with Blair's love interests stuff.

2 hours ago, cm2 said:

Played Mission 1 and it's awesome! 🙂

So will "Bones" hookup with Ming in the sequel lol I prefer him with "Bones" rather than Diana. Reminds me of the old wing commander 3 game with Blair's love interests stuff.

Thanks for playing and watching the VNs! Who said those to be the only possibilties?