Crash when engaging Su-25

Biggus

Hey guys,

Quick bug report.  Game crashing when engaging an Su-25 WVR with STT tracks initiated by the pilot.  A friend mentioned experiencing it a couple of times since the patch and I've just experienced i myself.  I don't have a track to upload, however I've attached my logfile.

There's a small thread with other users on r/hoggit mentioning crashes that sound nearly identical.

Thanks in advance for looking into it.

dcs.log

I have also had this twice now over a couple of evenings playing on the Hoggit GAW server. First time was closing on an SU25 within 5nm and taking a missile shot. Second time was the same after successfully engaing a Miig21 in a similar sitiuation. Will grab the log if it happens again. 

That's interesting.  That's where I'm experiencing the crashes too.

Edit:  It seems to be repeatable with reasonable reliability.  At least 50% since the hotfix for me.

Steps:

1. Join Hoggit GAW, arm up and launch from the boat (haven't tried from land yet).

2. Engage enemy Su-25T with a pilot initiated lock.

3. Fire missile at Su-25T.

Edited by Biggus
How to reproduce

I've just spent about 45 minutes examining the Hoggit GAW tacviews from the last few days, observing every instance where an F-14 launched a sparrow.

Here is the link where you guys can download them.

In nearly every instance, the crash appears when an F-14A/B engages an Su-25T with a Sparrow.  I noted one instance where an F-14 launched a Sparrow at what appeared to be very close to Rmin with very high closure resulting in a victory for the Tomcat with no resultant crashes, but that was very much the exception to the rule.

Quick edit:  The PGAW server does not seem to have the same issues, but it apparently also uses other Su-25 variants and there are not nearly as many players flying there.

Edited by Biggus
Checked PGAW server too

Is that server using any specific features or mods?

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Thank you. If this happens on the Hoggit GAW server, this could be a server related issue. In any case it sounds like a very weird issue. Did anyone try to reproduce it outside of it, on another server or a hosted one?

Many thanks!

• Like 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

29 minutes ago, IronMike said:

Thank you. If this happens on the Hoggit GAW server, this could be a server related issue. In any case it sounds like a very weird issue. Did anyone try to reproduce it outside of it, on another server or a hosted one?

Many thanks!

Thanks @IronMike.  I've logged it as an issue on the Hoggit Bitbucket.  They're good server admins so I think they'll probably investigate at their end as well.

I can't reproduce the issue in single player scenarios so far.  I'll try another server, but getting that magic combination of the right AI units might be a bit hard to do.  Having watched all the tacviews so far today, I've spotted one player who appeared to have the same general circumstances causing a crash except instead of using a Sparrow, he used a Sidewinder.  It's almost always a hot aspect target with a pilot initiated lock, but if that lock is only maintained for a handful of seconds, the crash doesn't seem to occur.

My small group of four will test it more over the next few days and I'll report back in again.  I'll try to gather some actual tracks, however they end up being extremely large and often corrupt themselves immediately when I try to view them.

11 minutes ago, Biggus said:

Thanks @IronMike.  I've logged it as an issue on the Hoggit Bitbucket.  They're good server admins so I think they'll probably investigate at their end as well.

I can't reproduce the issue in single player scenarios so far.  I'll try another server, but getting that magic combination of the right AI units might be a bit hard to do.  Having watched all the tacviews so far today, I've spotted one player who appeared to have the same general circumstances causing a crash except instead of using a Sparrow, he used a Sidewinder.  It's almost always a hot aspect target with a pilot initiated lock, but if that lock is only maintained for a handful of seconds, the crash doesn't seem to occur.

My small group of four will test it more over the next few days and I'll report back in again.  I'll try to gather some actual tracks, however they end up being extremely large and often corrupt themselves immediately when I try to view them.

Thank you kindly! You guys can simply try it on a hosted server recreating the same conditions. (ideally the host does not fly himself)

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

Guys, did you use AIM-7Fs? Apparently there is a bug, that will cause DCS to CTD if any non -M variant of the aim7 is being used. This could be simply that. @Grimes just informed be about it.

Edited by IronMike

Heatblur Simulations

4 minutes ago, IronMike said:

Guys, did you use AIM-7Fs? Apparently there is a bug, that will cause DCS to CTD if any non -M variant of the aim7 is being used. This could be simply that. @Grimes just informed be about it.

Negative.

These are all -7Ms, -7MHs, -9Ms and one report (that I haven't looked at the Tacview for) about a -54C.

Edit:  I did see a single user using a -7F and he did not experience a crash.  From memory, he appeared to have an extremely short time between locking and Su-25T being out of gimbal limits.

Edited by Biggus

7 minutes ago, Biggus said:

Negative.

These are all -7Ms, -7MHs, -9Ms and one report (that I haven't looked at the Tacview for) about a -54C.

Edit:  I did see a single user using a -7F and he did not experience a crash.  From memory, he appeared to have an extremely short time between locking and Su-25T being out of gimbal limits.

Ok that's both good and a pitty at the same time, lol (from my selfish POV)..

Please do see if you can reproduce it outside of GAW. One specific difference with GAW is the dynamically spawned units. So try maybe creating a mission with units that are already spawned etc, in other words: to test do not use the GAW missions, but different ones, which do not use their system.

Another thing you guys could try, is if you get the same thing using aim7s (or basically whatever you used), with another aircraft say the F18 or F15 - since the F14 shoots more aim7s on GAW than all other aircraft likely combined, we also need to know if this is only F14 related at all.

Thank you!

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 1

Heatblur Simulations

Just to reiterate, it's not weapon related.  It's lock related.  I am pretty sure that I'll be able to generate a crash using guns on the GAW server.  It only looks like it's related to the Sparrow because that weapon needs a lock held for more than a brief moment.

Haven't had a chance to run up a server to test offline but will in the next few days.

Edit:  I know this isn't nearly as helpful as a track, but to prove the point about a guns-kill using PLM on a Su-25T, I just recorded this a few moments ago.

Edited by Biggus
  • Like 1

I had 2 crashes with similar circumstances in GAW tonight.

In the first instance, I was in a tail chase with a pair of Su-25Ts. I had Jester get STT but he lost it when switching to P-STT so I used PAL to re-acquire. Firing an AIM-7M from 10 miles did NOT cause the game to crash but the missile missed for some reason. The target turned so I rapidly closed the distance and fired an AIM-9M. The game immediately crashed.

In the second instance, I fired an AIM-54C from about 30 miles in TWS. The radar lost lock and the missile did not ever go pitbull. I had to turn away due to SAMs but the Su-25T followed me, so after a bit I turned back, locked via PAL and fired the AIM-9M and the game immediately crashed.

I submitted a crash report both times. There is an exception trace in the log starting at line 840 (attached).

dcs.log

• Like 1

I re-enabled track files while this bug is still around.  Track here.

Scenario:  GAW server, Jester was commanded to lock one of two Su-25Ts at 21nm.  So it appears that it isn't a PLM lock that is responsible, either.  I asked Jester to switch to P-STT and at 8nm, I fired an AIM-7M or MH (I can't recall which).  The missile appeared to track, and then the crash happened.

22 minutes ago, Nobody Special said:

image.png

Another crash, this one in PGAW after firing a sidewinder at a Su-25T. I'm not sure if this is the same issue (never had the pop-up before) but the circumstances were similar, and it wasn't GAW.

dcs.log.old 319.93 kB · 1 download

These crashes are harder to find on PGAW just because there's a bit more variety in the Frogfoot variants.  I haven't had that pop-up before either.

New track.  This should include one instance where I was able to STT lock an Su-25T at fairly long range with no crash (lock dropped around 30nm).  Client crashed engaging another Su-25T later on at close range with no lock.  I held the boresite cross on the bandit, hit SEAM lock and fired a Sidewinder once I had tone.  I did notice that the TCS started tracking the Frogfoot at some point.  Not sure if the TCS locking the bandit has been another common element across crashes but will continue to experiment.

When the crash dialog box pops up, I'm adding a link to this thread and trying to add context.  Hopefully this is helping you guys.