AGM-65F V. SA-15

bonesvf103

I was playing a mission that I have had a for a few months now that used the TPOD along with MAVE and IMAVs.  When the GMT radar came out, I tried the same mission but used the GMT instead.  It went fine.  But a few days later when I tried it again, the SA-15 shot down the IMAV.  I had never seen anything let alone an SA-15 shoot down a Maverick before, and it just suddenly happened.  But then I flew the mission 2 or 3 times afterwards and it kept happening.

Is it possible that an SA-15 can do this to an IMAV?  And how come all of a sudden even though I flew the mission the same way it suddenly started doing this?

I'm baffled.

Any thoughts?

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

OK, thanks.  Wow.  I guess I'm more bewildered now that that this system suddenly just "woke up" after never even trying to shoot down my Mavericks before all these months or years.

Was there a recent update to the SA-15 to make them actually activate this function?  It's almost as Skynet suddenly became self aware.

So how does one plan accordingly for this?  The only way I was able to kill it was to shoot 2 Mavericks at ti...but then I don't have enough Mavericks for the remaining targets.

Thanks!

v6,

boNes

Edited by bonesvf103

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

OK, thanks.  Wow.  I guess I'm more bewildered now that that this system suddenly just "woke up" after never even trying to shoot down my Mavericks before all these months or years.

Was there a recent update to the SA-15 to make them actually activate this function?  It's almost as Skynet suddenly became self aware.

So how does one plan accordingly for this?  The only way I was able to kill it was to shoot 2 Mavericks at ti...but then I don't have enough Mavericks for the remaining targets.

Thanks!

v6,
boNes
You can take out the SA-15 with a gbu-12 from over 30K altitude, it can't reach you up there. I also take out HAWKs from about 34K.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

W10 Home 64Bit, Intel Skylake I5 6600K 3.50GHz, ASUS ROG Stryx Z270F MoBo, 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD (OS), Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2TB Seagate SDHD, 2TB WD Green HDD, GALAX GTX GeForce 1070 EXOC Sniper White 8GB VRAM

4 minutes ago, Furiz said:

GBU-38 is your best friend here, point TGP on SA15, drop the bomb from high alt and turn around.

Well, unless the thing moves; mind you the AI isn't smart enough to do that.

Plus the real system should be perfectly capable of picking up and shooting down bombs, the reason why they don't seems to be a DCS limitation.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

3 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

Well, unless the thing moves; mind you the AI isn't smart enough to do that.

Plus the real system should be perfectly capable of picking up and shooting down bombs, the reason why they don't seems to be a DCS limitation.

Yes I was going to say that about the GBU-38...my target was in a moving convoy, so GPS weapons wouldn't do in this mission.

Also what I meant about planning ahead was planning how to keep my weapons from being shot down.  So far shooting Mavericks at it has been the only thing that works, but it leaves me short of finishing off the rest of the convoy (gun isn't really effective against the APCs and tanks with it). Before Skynet woke up the SA-15s, I used to be able to wipe out the whole convoy.

v6,

boNes

You should also consider whether it is reasonable or not that a single Hornet can wipe out a convoy protected by an SA-15. Take a wingman or two with you and order them to attack the vehicles, after you take out the SA-15.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

It was just a simple practice mission that I downloaded from the DCS user site, hence why it was just me wiping them out.  I was able to complete it every time for months until the SA-15 suddenly woke up and decided to start shooting down my Mavericks.

v6,

boNes

Its weird. For me SA15 have always shot down Maverick and Harms since  always.

The only thing they will not shot down is Harms shot very close, just outside of the range where it start shooting at you. I don't why but I guess this is because from that distance the Harm engine is still burning and the missile comes in very very fast giving very short notice.

Maybe in the past since I wasn't using GMT and was using the TPOD, I got in closer than I did with the GMT and thus he couldn't shoot them down.

AS a test I will run the mission again but forego the GMT and use just the TPOD.

v6,

boNes

On 2/1/2021 at 10:00 AM, falcon_120 said:

Its weird. For me SA15 have always shot down Maverick and Harms since  always.

The only thing they will not shot down is Harms shot very close, just outside of the range where it start shooting at you. I don't why but I guess this is because from that distance the Harm engine is still burning and the missile comes in very very fast giving very short notice.

This,

SA15's have for as long as I've been attacking them been able, but not everytime.

On 1/30/2021 at 7:12 PM, bonesvf103 said:

Thanks!

v6,

boNes

Focus in one target, if you are capable to take off and kill a SA15 and come back home , that's mission success !!! typically fighter's only have one roll , if you are SEAD that's you mission, if you are cap, then you look and fight other jets....shoot you mavs and get hell out there..lol

My Rig:I7 4790K OC to 4.5 GHz .Memory ram 16GB 64 Bit MOB Asus Maximus hero VII Nvidia NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 T Asus Monitor 4K at 3840x2160 Windos 10 64-bit on SDD 500 and DCS on separate SSD drive. Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog CH pro pedals

OK, I ran a test and used GMT and locked the SA-15 with the IMAV.  BUT..I got down real low, waited until I was really close, maybe about 6 miles or less, and then fired, which was dicey because the SA-15 shot first and after I did, I had to break to beam it and chaff like crazy (also had the jammer on).

The missile successfully killed the SA-15.  He MAY have gotten a shot off to kill the Maverick but he missed.

The 3 remaining convoy vehicles were tanks and APCs so they were easy to mop up afterwards.

v6,

boNes

30 minutes ago, bonesvf103 said:

OK, I ran a test and used GMT and locked the SA-15 with the IMAV.  BUT..I got down real low, waited until I was really close, maybe about 6 miles or less, and then fired, which was dicey because the SA-15 shot first and after I did, I had to break to beam it and chaff like crazy (also had the jammer on).

The missile successfully killed the SA-15.  He MAY have gotten a shot off to kill the Maverick but he missed.

The 3 remaining convoy vehicles were tanks and APCs so they were easy to mop up afterwards.

v6,

boNes

To be honest, this sounds way more fun and exciting than your previous experience!